PDA

View Full Version : Evil Pipe "do's & dont's"

GordDesigns
02-12-2005, 01:09 AM
Just thought I would let everyone who has an Evil Pipe on thier markers know this.

"Do Not Shoot Through Broken Paint in Your Barrel'

This is what it did to my porting. :wow:
http://img234.exs.cx/img234/994/pipe1small7wj.jpg
Lets see how good the warranty really is?

Automaggot68
02-12-2005, 01:14 AM
Thats a pretty green.

BTW, I am in love with your GordMag. Surrender it to me.
NOWz.
:)

MonsterMag
02-12-2005, 01:30 AM
looks like you put green led lights in there ;) :rofl:

t33kyboy
02-12-2005, 01:34 AM
looks like you put green led lights in there ;) :rofl:
No, his barrel is cracked.

Smileatom88
02-12-2005, 01:53 AM
Good Advice. Thanks :hail:

SpecialBlend2786
02-12-2005, 01:55 AM
well that just sucks....

GordDesigns
02-12-2005, 01:55 AM
So you like my custom do you (Automaggot68)? It will be up for grabs when the engraving is done.
And you can have first dibs, if you really want it.

My flashlight is really strong so you can see the cracks. ;)

Potatoboy
02-12-2005, 02:50 AM
I find it very unlikely that the porting cracked because you were shooting through breaks. PMI does know that sometimes the porting on the pipe tips cracks, and they will replace it for you if you call them and get an RA number.

I've sent one in for replacement for one of my store customers.

rkjunior303
02-12-2005, 02:57 AM
the pipe shoots through breaks great.. ive never had a problem with mine

Carbon
02-12-2005, 05:13 AM
mine did the same thing. i suspect, repeated squeegeing caused it.

okiTony
02-12-2005, 06:49 AM
So they would change it for something like that?

I find it very unlikely that the porting cracked because you were shooting through breaks. PMI does know that sometimes the porting on the pipe tips cracks, and they will replace it for you if you call them and get an RA number.

I've sent one in for replacement for one of my store customers.

Potatoboy
02-12-2005, 11:21 AM
It's a possibility?

His was cracked porting further up the tip, but give them a call and talk to a tech on Monday.

GordDesigns
02-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Looks like they want to help.
Got an RA # for the tip, so lets see how good a warranty they have?

rkjunior303
02-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Looks like they want to help.
Got an RA # for the tip, so lets see how good a warranty they have?

evil's warranty is top notch. honestly, what woudl cracks in the porting like that due to performance?

jayloo
02-12-2005, 08:42 PM
The material on the pipe tips is very thin. This is not supprising.

Good test of customer service tho. Let us know what happens.

maglover728
02-13-2005, 02:14 AM
They may have great customer service but how do you play with half a barrel while the tip is away for verification and replacement? Why wouldn't they identify that problem and start making them just a bit thicker? Customer service is great but I would not buy something that was known to fail.

Evil Bob
02-13-2005, 02:20 AM
That doesn't happen from shooting through paint, it happens when you hold onto the end and twist the tip into the back. PMI has identified this as a design flaw and the new tips now have a thicker end with more material supporting the porting. From now on I would highly recommend using the solid end that is closer to the threads to hold onto when you thread the tip onto the back.

-Evil Bob

Skoad
02-13-2005, 02:30 AM
They may have great customer service but how do you play with half a barrel while the tip is away for verification and replacement? .

you can play just running the back and no tip.

maglover728
02-13-2005, 04:36 AM
That's cool, I didn't know that. Wouldn’t you be worried about marring up the threading?

Mr. Mouse
02-13-2005, 10:38 AM
looks radioactive, what are you shooting? :tard:

scootermn
02-13-2005, 11:07 AM
looks radioactive, what are you shooting? :tard:
He's shooting a green light inside to show the cracks that have developed in the barrell.

GordDesigns
02-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Well for Evil Bob , this was caused by shooting thru a ball break! If I could get a picture from the inside of the barrel. The bulge at the break point is way too obvious.
And I am not some hammerhanded clod when I assemble my marker. ( check my profile ) ;)
And for more info on the " what are you shooting" , I was using my X-Mag.
The break occurred at the end of string, firing to defend my corner of the field.
At least 5 balls impacted this broken ball before I let go og the trigger. I was set slow at 16bps, with 8milla sec of shot buffering and the ace was on.

Hell the tip is very thin there, and this can happen from the forces generated by ball mass and pressure.
I am happy to hear that I am not alone and that they have identified the problem and corrected it. :clap:

Thanks to all for your comments :hail:

Gord :cheers:

the-deuce
02-13-2005, 04:31 PM
and one or two from the beginning of that strring went into my hopper.

edit: and i wiped them

Evil Bob
02-13-2005, 05:12 PM
It takes about 50 foot pounds to shear the porting on a *new* tip in that manner. Paintballs at 300 fps average (depending upon the weight of the paint fill) around 12-16 foot pounts at the muzzle. Even if you're shooting at 600 fps, you're going to be hard pressed to reach that type of pressure level.

I suspect that the barrel had been previously weakened by repetitive stress situations resulting in it breaking just as you said it did. Something as simple as hitting the tip on a bunker one to many times, holding the tip by the porting when mating it to the back could have possibly lead to it being weakened enough to blow out like it did.

PMI should replace it, they will more then likely try to give you a like tip, try to get them to send you one of the newer Ultra tips (http://www.evil-paintball.com/ultratips.htm), they're fluted on the end around the porting.

-Evil Bob

REDRT
02-14-2005, 12:58 AM
Just thought I would let everyone who has an Evil Pipe on thier markers know this.

"Do Not Shoot Through Broken Paint in Your Barrel'

This is what it did to my porting. :wow:
http://img234.exs.cx/img234/994/pipe1small7wj.jpg
Lets see how good the warranty really is?

Prime example of why to buy quality Poison Products "Poison Arrows". They with shed paint like no other and do so without breaking. Sorry about your misfortune. Hope they replace it for ya.

gc82000
02-14-2005, 09:06 AM
I think you could do that with the new Angel eyes. :clap:
the light I mean.

Creative Mayhem
02-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Gord.. that sucks man.. shoulda got the J&J Edge Kit. ;)

BYERSMAG
02-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Wow, that's the second pipe tip, that I've seen do that. One of my teammates pipe tips did that very same thing but worse, on his all of the porting cracked all the way around every port was shot like someone took a serated steak knife and had there way with it.....Anyways Evils support is top notch, contact them and they should tell u to send in your old tip, and they will replace it with a new tip, just tell em what length and color u want..... It's that easy Evil's got your back!!!

Counterfeit_Syn5304
05-03-2005, 11:48 AM
sorry to bring up an old thread but who ever said the poison arrow barrel system is good is sadly wrong. The barrel isnt evne tourny legal due to the fact that you can change the velocity by moving the sleeve up more to clean the paint out. Plus the price of these barrels are way too high. Evil Tech support is one the best and a lot of those tips problems were form the first gen of pipe tips...a lot of the newer ones shouldn't ever have that problem. Also, if you really wnat a durable tip then get an ULTRA tip...

Maggot6
05-03-2005, 03:43 PM
How could a barrel be made so cheaply, that it is known to crack when you shoot through paint...And still sell? :tard: (Unlesss I am misunderstanding something)

BD_Paintball
05-03-2005, 04:23 PM
How could a barrel be made so cheaply, that it is known to crack when you shoot through paint...And still sell? :tard: (Unlesss I am misunderstanding something)
You are wrong. it cracked from when he was screwing it on the back and torqued it to hard then it twisted it a little and it cracked at its weakest points (between the ports) I have had my pipe for a long time and when you screw it on just hold on to the bottom of the front and you will be good to go. It’s not from shooting broken paint.

REDRT
05-03-2005, 06:45 PM
sorry to bring up an old thread but who ever said the poison arrow barrel system is good is sadly wrong. The barrel isnt evne tourny legal due to the fact that you can change the velocity by moving the sleeve up more to clean the paint out. Plus the price of these barrels are way too high. Evil Tech support is one the best and a lot of those tips problems were form the first gen of pipe tips...a lot of the newer ones shouldn't ever have that problem. Also, if you really wnat a durable tip then get an ULTRA tip...

The barrel is tournament legal. The velocity doesn't change with the slide open or closed. Draw backs of it is the cost, it is louder and to get the best results of barrel cleaning you have to use a tigher ball to bore match. If a ball is just a smidge big you run the risk of spiking your velocity. Cure is to run the bore size bigger, but then the paint shedding is reduced. I've noticed markers other than mags don't seem to be affected as much with tighter fitting barrel bores like mags are. Carbon fiber tips are coming soon. Should be less noisy and for sure lighter.