PDA

View Full Version : My New Daily Driver

Bear_Claw
02-12-2005, 05:33 PM
This is my new to me Daily driver nicknamed the GOFER by my family (go fer this go fer that hahaha). Shes a 1987 VW golf It has a N/A 1.6 Diesel and a 5 speed stick Bare to the bone not even power steering. Pumps an impressive 52Hp and stump puling grunt of 71lbs of Tq.

Had her since wensday and it drives great. Heck today i had her loaded with passengers and took it for a spin. She never had a prob till i hit the BIG hills of the senic roads. They requiered some work and second gear with the pedal hitting the metal while smokeing out the car behinde me lol . But hey it Old Small and was loaded with 700+ lbs of people and tools (Never leave home without tools hehehe).

I dont got the milage yet as i still have not had to fill it so far 400kms (250miles) and just over half a tank.

Any who i only got two pics cause my cameras batteries were dead so here they are ill get more when i can.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/252584.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/img/252582.JPG

Heres a link if the pics dont work

My Photo Albuam of all the cars i owned and my paintballl guns (http://www.hunt101.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&si=&page=1&sort=7&perpage=16&password=&ppuser=11853&stype=)

Oh and i only own the F250 and this now and the explorer is my dads.

evo.end3R
02-12-2005, 07:02 PM
wanna race?

Bear_Claw
02-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Shure. I actually do want to bring this and my Truck down to the local drag strip for a few runs just for fun lol. I actualy gona enter into a road rally with the car come summer for the fun of it (its a diesel rally).

Its a pretty slow car but it gets along fine it keeps up with traffic alright so i aint worried. I have a Truck to play with this is just my practical vehical.

Cost's $30CDN to fill and so far has 400kms(250miles) to less than half a tank. so i should beable to run 800kms(500miles) between fill ups on $30CDN. That milage also works out to over 40mpg so i can deal with a tad less HP/TQ lol.

Chipper
02-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Cost's $30CDN to fill and so far has 400kms(250miles) to less than half a tank. so i should beable to run 800kms(500miles) between fill ups on $30CDN. That milage also works out to over 40mpg so i can deal with a tad less HP/TQ lol.
I really wouldn't be suprised if you cleaned out the engine and tried to open up the intake more that you get even better milage.

Nice buy, how much did you get it for?

Bear_Claw
02-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Well with all the extra parts i got for it in total $1516CDN ($1200us) the 16 dollars was the taxes lol.

The Car:
1987 VW Golf 1.6 N/A Diesel 5 Speed
All in working order Cert and E-tested
Engine has only 50,000kms (30,000miles) on it since FULL rebuild
Car has a total of 309,000 kms (192k miles)

Spare parts list:

-Complete engine that passes etest and runs great (Includeing stater and alternator) basicaly hook a battery up and it will start up.
-Another Transmishion (Needs a Clutch)
-Complete New Exhuast
-Two doors With interior panels speakers and glass
-Front fender
-Rear hatch With glass
-Hood

billybob_81067
02-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Damn... that thing is Uuuuuuuugly! :)

You should:
Wash it, straight pipe it, put an open element intake on it :ninja: and then spray-paint flames all over it and then take some more pics and post em again! :D

Oh yeah... do something about those god awfully ugly wheels too! :p

LOL

Bear_Claw
02-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Yup shes an ugly on for shure an shes DEFINTLY staying that way shes not my toy just my efficant earth friendly means o transportation.

THIS is my toy and my pride and joy 1994 F250XLT Ex Cab 2wd 7.3L(444ci) V8 Turbo Diesel Sadly shes under the nife at the moment as i gona be swaping in a Rebuilt Trans and changeing out the oil pan while im there.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/216310.jpg

It is straightpiped, with oversized rubber and American Racing rims, The engine is Slightly moded (heheh very lightly turned up injection pump). Soon it will also have the exhuast exiting though twin 4" stacks. Along with Lots more chrom and toys. Oh and i gona get a Good set of EGT and Turbo Boost, and Trans Temp Gauges to monitor the vitals as i turn up the fuel a bit more for even more HP/TQ. I also want to make a cold air intake for it.

maglover728
02-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Do you have th E4OD automatic in that truck? My 93 f250 is about to blow the trany and I hear that it is common aroung 90-100k. :headbang:

Bear_Claw
02-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Yup my E40Ds at 180000kms(130000mile) now so its on the older side. My truck was also used (befor i bought it) as a Hauler towing a Fifth wheel horse trailer. So it was used for some harsh duty.

The trans is probly still good but the overdrive lockups giving me some headechs i still trying to figure it all out but worst case is a trans swap witch is pretty common for this milage and use.
I am a mechanic and getting an awsome deal on rebuild of these trans through work so hopefully she be back up and running in a few months.

maglover728
02-12-2005, 11:27 PM
WANNA DO MINE? I had a friend that found out about those trannys right after splitting its pump and sending all the shrapnel through its torque converter. There was a $2800 price tag attached to that repair.

billybob_81067
02-13-2005, 12:04 AM
WANNA DO MINE? I had a friend that found out about those trannys right after splitting its pump and sending all the shrapnel through its torque converter. There was a $2800 price tag attached to that repair.

:wow: Sounds like your friend got screwed!!! For that price he could have gotten a BTS tranny with updated center support, steel 6 pinion forward planetary gear, pump mods, valve body mods, etc...

An E4OD from them will handle some serious HP! :clap: :headbang:

Our 3 ford pickups with the E4OD trannies in them all have over 200k on their clocks. Sometimes they shift a bit sloppy, but they're all still ticking! :D

maglover728
02-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Maybe I am just paranoid then. I was with him when his went out. There was a crimson waterfall cascading from under his truck. I just can't afford anything like that right now. I scare myself into hearing and feeling things when I drive I guess.

billybob_81067
02-13-2005, 03:11 AM
Maybe I am just paranoid then. I was with him when his went out. There was a crimson waterfall cascading from under his truck. I just can't afford anything like that right now. I scare myself into hearing and feeling things when I drive I guess.

Lol... yeah don't be paranoid!!! Drive it like you stole it!

I sometimes wish that the E4OD on my powerstroke would go ahead and quit so I can have a reason to tear it apart and rebuild it how I want it!!!

Hey Bear_Claw and maglover728,

How's your shifter knobs on your pickups holding up? We've had all three of ours break!!! Damn plastic knobs... :nono:

Anyways I got tired of them being crappy plastic so I just started making my own aluminum shifter knobs... Check em out HERE (http://community.webshots.com/user/billybob_81067) . I'm gonna start selling them on e-bay as soon as I get a box of setscrews I ordered in the mail...

:headbang:

maglover728
02-13-2005, 04:34 AM
You sir, have sexy knobs! :wow:

lol

Mine is fine for now but i will keep that in mind!

billybob_81067
02-13-2005, 09:41 AM
You sir, have sexy knobs! :wow:

:rofl: I knew you'd like my knob... everyone always does ;)

:cheers:

Bear_Claw
02-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Veary nice. Never had a prob with mine as of yet but ill keep it in mind if i do.

Then again if i break one i can just steal it off one of the scrap school buses we have in the yard lol. God i love my job. Oh im getting my rebuild for $1500 CDN $1200US its the same ones we useing in our buses and they seem to be holding up really well none of em have come back and some have put on over 200000kms of City driving ONLY.

bofh
02-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Wow, a N/A four banger diesel VW.

As an ex-owner of an 1978 diesel rabbit, I have two words of advice.

One, plan on extra time on getting places. And fear the freeway on-ramp. :)

Two, you will either crash it, or sell it. Because it won't die on it's own. VW diesels don't die, they have to be killed. :)

Have fun with the commuter car, that thing is perfect for that task.

skife
02-13-2005, 06:16 PM
you know.... a turbo for that rabbit would make for a serious sleeper car.
and still keep the gas mileage down.

Chipper
02-13-2005, 08:08 PM
and still keep the gas mileage down.

Heh, go to through that in there.

Bear_Claw
02-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Well just took it down to my bros house 211kms mostly highway with one hill grade 6 for aproximatly 3 kms on the highway. The car did pretty good better than i expected it to do and even was able to gain speed SLOWLY on the hill in fifth gear.

I learnt to keep the speed down too as anything past 110km/h shes a screaming and likes to drink a tad more fuel.

All in all it did pretty good and i should have a MPG # by tomorrow.

I can say one thing for shure though as soon as my trucks fixed it WILL reasume ALL higway duty as on ramps and passing in this thing takes ALOT of pre trip planning lol.

I dont really want to put mutch $$ into this one so i aint gona turbo it although for a nice sleeper my bros got a 03 VW Golf TDI that is chiped and a LOT of home grown mods that makes some VERY repectable performance 0-60 in high 7's and low to mid 8's (depending on traction). The best part is the car STILL gets at best on the highway set at 110km/h (65mph) she gets an astounding 66MPG.