PDA

View Full Version : Why everyone should EXERCISE! *part1*

Mango
02-12-2005, 08:48 PM
So I'm feeling a little hyper tonight, being that I'm home on a saturday night and I have nothing better to do. I shall impart some knowledge upon AO that I hope will help change a few minds and get some butts up off the computer chairs and out moving around and hopefully exercising regularly!

Let me first list a few amazing adaptations that the body, everyones body, will go through once you start a strength training program of any type. These changes will take place with as little as TWO (yes 2) weight lifting programs a week. Obviously, they should be well designed full body programs that hit every major muscle group but still, the changes our body will make are nonetheless amazing!

Physiologically, regular strength training results in the following positive adaptations:

Benefits of Strength Training (weight lifting)
Increased muscle fiber size
Increased muscle contractile strength
Increased tendon tensile strength
Inscreased bone strength
Inscreased ligament tensile strength

These changes obviously have a profound impact on our physical capacity, physical appearence, injury risk and metabolic process!

Here is a little tidbit: Research has shown that untrained men who begin a regular program can stand to gain about 2 to 4 pounds of muscle and 40 to 60% more strength after just two months of regular strength training!

That simply amazes me. Why would someone NOT engage in some form of training? My belief is they are not properly educated or motivated.

If you think THAT is impressive, the list of health benefits of Cardiovascular Training will blow you away! Now mind you, these benefits can be reaped by ANYONE who engages in as little as 30 minutes of SOME form of cardiovascular activity at a moderate intensity (you sweat) 3 times a week. The ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) states that to maintain or lose bodyfat while increasing ability you should excercise 3 to 5 times a week (cardiovascular exercise).

Benefits of Cardiorespiratory Exercise
Increased maximal oxygen consumption (VO2max)
Improvement in cardivascular/cardiorespiratory function (heart and lungs)
Increased maximal cardiac output (amount of blood pumped every minute)
Increased maximal stroke volume (amount of blood pumped with each beat)
Increased blood volume and ability to carry oxygen
Reduced workload on the heart (myocardial oxygen consumption) for any given submaximal exercise intensity
Increased blood supply to muscles and ability to use oxygen
Lower heart rate and blood pressure at any level of submaximal exercise
Increased threshold for lactic acid accumulation
Lower resting systolic and diastolic blood pressure in people with high blood pressure
Increased HDL Cholesterol (the good cholesterol)
Decreased blood triglycerides
Reduced body fat and improved weight control
Improved glucose tolerance and reduced insulin resistance

That is not an exhaustive list by any means. There are many more but still...WOW!!
These things, we can change in our bodies, JUST by being ACTIVE! By getting up and moving! Plus, in most cases, its FREE! Go to a park, ride a bike, hike outside, jog/run/etc.

Here is a great link to one of the organizations I belong to, the ACSM's Fit Society Page. This article is a little old but is a great primer full of excellent information.

Right Click/ Save As (http://www.acsm.org/pdf/01fitsoc.pdf#search='benefits%20of%20exercise%20%2 0ACSM'), its a PDF file.

I'll address any questions here in this thread so post em if ya got em.

Target Practice
02-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Mango, I wish I lived near you, that way you could whip me into shape.

FooTemps
02-12-2005, 08:54 PM
this, my friends, is why I take strength training @ school and have my own bench at home.

Mango
02-12-2005, 08:58 PM
this, my friends, is why I take strength training @ school and have my own bench at home.

http://www.sprayingmango.com/dancingcool.gif

SAW
02-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Beat me to it. Thank you Mango!
Am I sensing a basic routine in a later post?

Mango
02-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Mango, I wish I lived near you, that way you could whip me into shape.

Hey! The only person who is going to whip you into shape is yourself! All it takes is a good plan and determination!

Well, I could supply the actual leather w....ahhh nevermind http://www.sprayingmango.com/hsugh.gif

FooTemps
02-12-2005, 09:04 PM
easiest solution to TP's workout problem... BREAKDANCING! ahahaha! i could imagine that... not

Bear_Claw
02-12-2005, 09:06 PM
The problem with something like weight training is ya have to slowly increase the amount you do to sustain those benifits otherwise your body just treats it like routine.

Im 6' 260lbs (Considerd pretty decetly built but pretty over weight). I DONT exercise in a programe like that but i DO ALOT of lifting and running through my day as a Bus mechanic (yes i do actually have to do ALOT of running in the yard during our QUICK fix time (9:00-12:00).
I regualy lift over 100lbs daily and have lifted up to 400lbs just to save time. Heck i even routinly am found as the guy to call (Along with two others) to Push the buses that dont start into the shop. And when i took this job i weighed in at 280 so i have lost 20lbs and evn gained some stamina but it has become routine now and i am now stalled at 260. So i have to do more right well then that will get routine till i do more and so on so on.

Mango
02-12-2005, 09:18 PM
The problem with something like weight training

I have to stop you there. You see, there IS no "problem" with weight training! You could benefit HIGHLY from a regular strength training routine, ESPECIALLY since your job involves so much heavy lifting. There is something called "Functional Training" which, for someone in your line of work, would involve a program that hit every major muscle group and involved strengthening the rotator cuff and shoulder girdle muscles since you do run a risk of injuring those especially in your line of work. Also It would involve core training (as every progam should).

You see, your misconception of excercise is not uncommon. This feeling of "routine" that you describe is also known as a "plateau" or leveling off of any noticable strength gains. This happens because the muscles have adapted to the "response" (the weight loads placed on them) and so they do not see the need to adapt any further.

You can solve this by simply changing the ORDER in which you perform a workout program OR by simply doing a different excercise. For example, instead of doing a Tricep pulldown, do an overhead press or do dips!

With a little bit of knowledge its very easy to overcome this response. It is NOT a problem.

Bear_Claw
02-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Well ya learn something new every day eh! I probly still aint ona do any extra exercise though cause wll im lazzy befor and after work so well heck in my line of work il be dead at 40 any ways lol.

And yes ya Easily stand the chance of injuys hehehehe

Im 21 and and have injured my self in more ways than id like to admit hehe.

Python14
02-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Mango, what would you recommend for someone around 5'11"...130lbs looking to improve his off-the-break speed and stamina as well as on field flexibility?

I do all the usual paintball practice routines....but feel like I could be doing more off the field to improve myself for paintball, ya know?

RogueFactoryKid
02-12-2005, 09:34 PM
These are the types of reason ive started taking Fitness for life in school. Hardest gym class i've ever had, I actually sweat most of the class. If you have a program like this and your still in school it really does motivate you to start your own routine. I've started out slow with the push-up, crunches, 6-inch exercise, and running. It is really nice to be able to actually run a full mile without keeling over and dying.

Mango
02-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Mango, what would you recommend for someone around 5'11"...130lbs looking to improve his off-the-break speed and stamina as well as on field flexibility?

Hey!

Well, it wouldn't be prudent for me to give you a full program without having given you a health history, etc. I will recommend something for just any person who MAY be 5'11 around 130lbs and is apparently healthy. :)

Off-the-break speed is explosive and it's requierments are not unlike a sprinter/running back/wide reciever etc. If this person were going to workout in a gym and do strength training at least 3 times a week, I would recommend Squats, hamstring curls, calf raises as well as weighted toe raises, hip adductor and abductor excercises. Examples of these can be found online I'm sure. Each of these would be for 2-3 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions each for excellent gains. I would also offset these with "negatives" or "eccentric" contractions since the muscles are going through intense stress while accelerating and decelerating the body. This means that on the 4th week, add negatives to each excercise utilizing a spotter.

Also, to increase stamina on the field you simply need to do SOME kind of cardiovascular activity 3 times a week or more, for 30 to 60 minutes at moderate intensity. Start slow and work your way up if you currently do not engage in activity.

Flexibility can be increased by doing static stretches every day you are active. Try to stretch every major joint and hold the stretches for at least 15 seconds, optimally 30. Stretch to tightness, NOT pain. Do not bob or bounce.

Mango
02-12-2005, 09:44 PM
These are the types of reason ive started taking Fitness for life in school.

This is the type of class I would LOVE to teach! This is a class in college or High School? I've heard of a few high schools here in NJ that have such a class.

tony3
02-12-2005, 10:03 PM
I need to workout :( My family history is just of I guess easily gaining weight. I have always been athletic and been good at sports but since I've gotten into highschool and stopped playing all sports except paintball my shape has went downhill. I am 5,8 170 lbs. That brings be at a what, 26 bmi, about. I don't care about looking strong or anything, I just want to be able to play tennis with my friends and not be the first one to be tired out, same goes for playing pickup basketball games. I like to eat and lately have just been eating till I am satisfied but not full. I lost 5 or so pounds just doing that. My biggest problem is my ever changing life and lots going on. It is not that I don't have time to do stuff, but it is the fact that lots of time stuff gets inbetween my routine and my normal life. I got to get on the treadmill in the basement and start running.

I have a quick question also, could playing sports be subsituted in place of a 30 minute cardio exercise? Lets say I play a game of tennis for 1 hr 30 min-2 hrs? This is with minimal breaks. Just need some advice and pointers in general of stuff to do to STAY on the right track. I know what I need to do. I need to get off the computer and get on the treadmill, but I need some advice on how to stay on doing this and not do it for 2 weeks and stop, that is my biggest problem.

RogueFactoryKid
02-12-2005, 10:05 PM
This is the type of class I would LOVE to teach! This is a class in college or High School? I've heard of a few high schools here in NJ that have such a class.
High School, way up here in Maine. Great class the teacher isnt like the other gym teachers i've had. He doesnt just sit there while we do the drills, he participates or at least shows us a few times. Very relaxed class as long as you do the drills to the best of your ability.

I have a quick question also, could playing sports be subsituted in place of a 30 minute cardio exercise? Lets say I play a game of tennis for 1 hr 30 min-2 hrs? This is with minimal breaks. Just need some advice and pointers in general of stuff to do to STAY on the right track. I know what I need to do. I need to get off the computer and get on the treadmill, but I need some advice on how to stay on doing this and not do it for 2 weeks and stop, that is my biggest problem.

Our teacher taught us that it isnt how hard your working out. Your supposed to get to around 75% of your maximum heart rate and just stay at that pace. Most people think that they can just goto the gym for 15-20 minutes if they just do a lot more than normal. He says that isnt the case and that in order to lose weight and get in shape you have to work up to 75% and stay at that pace.

SAW
02-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Mango, I'd like some help with my routine.
I'm a healthy 5'8", 125lbs HS student. As some may know, the wrestling season is over. During the season, I was actively involved with strength and flexibility workouts. Nothing special: crunches, pushups, squats (tons of reps, in the 250s+), pullups, all the usual stuff. For endurance, we ran relatively lengthy distances; about 2 miles/practice. I felt this kicked me into shape and therefore wasn't inclined to change.
Now that the season is over, I would like to experiment with other exercises / drills. I am not going to be completely out of the game (track and field starts mid-March), but I want to retain / increase what I have gained strengthwise during the past few months. I (personally) feel that I'm alright in the lower-body department (Legpress 340lbs consistantly, squats aren't a big deal) but do not believe I have met my upper-body potential.
ANY help, of any kind, will be greatly appreciated!

Mango
02-12-2005, 10:29 PM

RogueFactoryKid brought up an excellent point. While I know that playing tennis IS intense (I love to play tennis personally), and depending on how frequently you played it MIGHT be able to substitute for a bout of cardiovascular excercise, it is not the ideal replacement. Essentially what I am getting it is nothing can replace a regular cardiovascular training program because the key is to maintain your heart rate in your "Training Heart Rate Range." This is, for apparently healthy adults, between 60 to 75% of your maximal heart rate. This is computed by the following formula:

220 minus your age multiplied by .60 and by .75. This yeilds your training hear rate range. You can of course adjust to maintain intensity levels as you get more fit.

Playing tennis as you do is GREAT! Don't get me wrong, but it shouldnt replace the sustained levels of training you get at the proper intensity, that lets say...jogging for 30 to 40 minutes will give you.

Mango
02-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Mango, I'd like some help with my routine.
I'm a healthy 5'8", 125lbs HS student. As some may know, the wrestling season is over. During the season, I was actively involved with strength and flexibility workouts. Nothing special: crunches, pushups, squats (tons of reps, in the 250s+), pullups, all the usual stuff. For endurance, we ran relatively lengthy distances; about 2 miles/practice. I felt this kicked me into shape and therefore wasn't inclined to change.
Now that the season is over, I would like to experiment with other exercises / drills. I am not going to be completely out of the game (track and field starts mid-March), but I want to retain / increase what I have gained strengthwise during the past few months. I (personally) feel that I'm alright in the lower-body department (Legpress 340lbs consistantly, squats aren't a big deal) but do not believe I have met my upper-body potential.
ANY help, of any kind, will be greatly appreciated!

First of all, I would lay off the high repetitions of squats/leg presses that you are doing. 250+ repeptitions!??! Now this is where I go into a rant about coaches being uneducated in biomechanics/kenisiology!! This sets you up to be a PRIME candidate for an abnormal bone growth disease known as Osgood Schlatters Disease. While those most prone to this disease are growing young adolescents just entering high school, generally anyone under the age of 20 or so can get this disease if they are exposed to a high number of weight bearing excercises that involve a squatting/leg press type of compound movement. It is extremeley painful to those who get it and it is causes by excessive rubbing on the front of the "shin" bone (Tibia).

That being said...for someone in a situation similar to yours, I would recommend a regular jogging/running program that would start with 3 training sessions a week of actual running/jogging and eventually lead up to 5 days a week. Mileage would start around 1.5 to 2 miles and cap out around 4-5 miles, 5 days a week. A program like this, however, would need to be worked up to over the course of many weeks. This would be ideal for someone who runs track or to prepare for practices in track. I do not know what you plan to do in T&F so I cannot recommend specifics.

To strengthen the upper body, the usual excercises will do just fine. I am neurotic about telling people to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles AND the shoulder girdle muscles because almost NOBODY trains these. They are CRUCIAL to performance in ALL area of uppber body movements.

Upright rows
Luggage Lifts
side lying raises
internal/external rotations using the arms
etc.

These are all excellent for training these muscle groups I mentioned earlier.

Remember, the body is a kinetic chain and so it is only as strong as its weakest muscle!

Do these in conjunction with the usual chest press, incline and decline chest press, shoulder raises, biceps curls of all angles, core training, etc.

2 to 3 sets, 8 to 12 reps to muscle fatigue.

I cannot give specific programs since it requiers much more extensive testing, etc. These are just general and I would feel horrible if someone got injured because of what I said.

SAW
02-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Thank you Mango. I'll let you know what happens!

behemoth
02-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Alright mango.

Im 6'3, and around 295... Ive got a bench, and a punching bag, but i dont know what to do, as far as a routine..

I need to watch what i eat, and all too, but its harder than it seems.

So, Obeese kid with athsma and a smoking problem.

Any suggestions?

gimp
02-13-2005, 12:56 AM
You say that I can gain 2-4 lbs of muscle, and get 40-60% stronger in 2 months with a good routine. Now, if I stop working out, how fast does the muscle go away? When I was in high school I did a lot of lifting and fitness stuff. I was really scrawny, but I was pretty strong and fast. Once I got to college I got lazy. Now I just had surgery (http://www.rpi.edu/~pittse/pectus/index.html) and I'm recovering. I tried doing some light lifting, but I did it to soon and hurt myself, now I'm gonna wait a little while to make sure I don't do that again. Now that I can have actually have pecs, I'm psyched to work out. I'm worried though. Once I graduate, I'll have a real job, and I won't be able to get to the gym nearly as much. If I go to the gym a lot during school and build up a good base of muscle, will I lose that muscle if I all of a sudden go to the gym a lot less? Or will I sort of hang around the muscle base I built up. My best friend at home is majoring in excersise science/kinesiology or something like that at UNH and he told me some statistic once but I can't remember it. It had to do with how fast you lose muscle.

Thanks

PyRo
02-13-2005, 09:08 AM
Alright mango.

Im 6'3, and around 295... Ive got a bench, and a punching bag, but i dont know what to do, as far as a routine..

Any suggestions?
Step one stop smoking :)

Mango
02-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Alright mango.

Any suggestions?

For someone in your situation with those availible peices of equipment I would recommend a good calistenics program. This involves pushups, dips, a fun boxing program etc. It's basically a very military style program (also known as Combat Conditioning but that is primarily a marketing gimmick) since most of what the military emphasises is body weight excercises. These are extremely challengeing and are EXCELLENT for fat burning.

This program would be minimum 3 days a week to start for that same 3-4 week adaptation period. Eventually, you can do this 5 days a week and thats the first goal. High number of repetitions is what this type of program is about. Also short rest periods.

A good program would include active stretching to warm up (3 minute jog, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, frog leaps, crunches or bicycle kicks) and lead into the training. Pushups (standard), Hindu pushups, 8 count body builders, body weight dips on the bench, body weight squats, etc.

I'm sure you can find examples of the excercises I've outlined above somewhere on the net.

For each exercise, shoot for 2 to 3 sets each with a goal of 15 repetitions for the first 4 weeks. After, Add another set till you reach 5 sets for each one at 15 repetitions. Next you can use periodization to REALLY kick it up. But you must first build a good foundation of endurance and strength and you will be amazed at how much weight you can lose and how great you will feel just doing this.

Also, nutrition plays a crucial role. Download and read that form I linked in the first post. It has some excellent information in it on Nutrition.

Oops, forgot to address the smoking and asthma. The single best thing you could do for your health is to STOP SMOKING. But, that is easier said than done. That is something only can stop and you will need to deal with that issue yourself. All the talking in the world will not change that unless YOU want to stop. Willpower and support from family and friends will be the best aides in that regard.

Regular exercise has been shown to GREATLY increase the bodies ability to utilize availible oxygen that is inhaled by the lungs. It makes the body more efficient at processing oxygen basically, so it does have a profound effect on asthma sufferers at the times of an attack. Since asthma is an uncontrolled constriction of the bronchial tubules it cannot cure it obviously,but it DOES have nothing but POSITIVE effects for those who suffer. In some cases excercise has been shown to stop or seriously limit the number of attacks some exercises have had.

slade
02-13-2005, 01:15 PM
I need to workout :( My family history is just of I guess easily gaining weight. I have always been athletic and been good at sports but since I've gotten into highschool and stopped playing all sports except paintball my shape has went downhill. I am 5,8 170 lbs. That brings be at a what, 26 bmi, about. I like to eat and lately have just been eating till I am satisfied but not full. I lost 5 or so pounds just doing that. My biggest problem is my ever changing life and lots going on. It is not that I don't have time to do stuff, but it is the fact that lots of time stuff gets inbetween my routine and my normal life. I got to get on the treadmill in the basement and start running.
wow. that sounds almost exactly like me. (except i weigh ~190)

WicKeD_WaYz
02-13-2005, 01:23 PM
You say that I can gain 2-4 lbs of muscle, and get 40-60% stronger in 2 months with a good routine. Now, if I stop working out, how fast does the muscle go away? When I was in high school I did a lot of lifting and fitness stuff. I was really scrawny, but I was pretty strong and fast. Once I got to college I got lazy. Now I just had surgery (http://www.rpi.edu/~pittse/pectus/index.html) and I'm recovering. I tried doing some light lifting, but I did it to soon and hurt myself, now I'm gonna wait a little while to make sure I don't do that again. Now that I can have actually have pecs, I'm psyched to work out. I'm worried though. Once I graduate, I'll have a real job, and I won't be able to get to the gym nearly as much. If I go to the gym a lot during school and build up a good base of muscle, will I lose that muscle if I all of a sudden go to the gym a lot less? Or will I sort of hang around the muscle base I built up. My best friend at home is majoring in excersise science/kinesiology or something like that at UNH and he told me some statistic once but I can't remember it. It had to do with how fast you lose muscle.

Thanks

It typically depends on whther you have lean muscle or fatty muscle. In general though muscle will probably start deteriorating after about a month of not lifting at all. In 6 months you probably wont see much of it anymore. When I broke my hand and couldnt work out for like 8 weeks I lost a lot of muscle mass but it came back a lot quicker than i expected. Working out isnt something you do for a little bit and then expect your results to stay forever. Its sort of a way of life that you have to develope and over a long period of time you will see HUGE gains.

BTW guys, instead of everyone asking Mango for him to make a rutine for them. Check out these forums on bodybuilding, all the info you'll ever need.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

MantisMag
02-13-2005, 01:59 PM
keep in mind with that, maintenance is much easier than building. if you don't have the time you can do very short workouts and not lose much if any muscle. then when you have the time you'll still be able to pick up pretty much where you left off.

Bluestrike_2
02-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Track starts in a few months.

Now, obviously upper body strenght plays a key part of long distance(moreso in XC than track). While I've been doing a lot over the past month or two(Winter track), what key muscle groups should I spend more time on, when taking into account that I run the 1600, 3200, and 5000 in XC?

I've got the running and cardiovascular work down pat, while, so far, averaging about 40 miles per week. I also try to do a lot of distance on a mountain bike, however getting on trails in winter isn't the smartest idea....

Thank you!

Mango
02-13-2005, 02:12 PM
BTW guys, instead of everyone asking Mango for him to make a rutine for them. Check out these forums on bodybuilding, all the info you'll ever need.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

I really was not making any kind of specific routine or program for anyone since due to legal and ethical values it would not be prudent. Most of those bodybuilding forums are extremely dangerous places. You're lucky if one person is certified and has any background in Exercise Physiology, Biomechanics, Health Education etc.

I don't even waste my time with them since I cannot read them for more than 3 minutes without going insane at the incorrect information I see on them.

Mango
02-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Now, if I stop working out, how fast does the muscle go away?

Muscle is highly sensative to use and disuse. When our muscles get bigger due to exercise, for example, that is called muscular hypertrophy. When a muscle gets smaller because of disuse that is called muscle atrophy. When we stop working out due to injury or other factors, many things happen inside the muscle. Basically most adaptations that occured during exercise now happen in reverse.

Capillary netoworks shrink since they do not need to supply as much oxygen rich blood to the mitochondira (powerhouse cells inside the muscle) and the number of mitochondria decreases. Muscle fibers shrink and the number of amino acids decreases. There is not set timetable for which these actions occure since they are highly dependent on the individual metabolism and specifically which type of muscle fiber is undergoing atrophy. It is safe to say that you can expect a 10-15% reduction in strength every 2 months or so.

WicKeD_WaYz
02-13-2005, 02:24 PM
I really was not making any kind of specific routine or program for anyone since due to legal and ethical values it would not be prudent. Most of those bodybuilding forums are extremely dangerous places. You're lucky if one person is certified and has any background in Exercise Physiology, Biomechanics, Health Education etc.

I don't even waste my time with them since I cannot read them for more than 3 minutes without going insane at the incorrect information I see on them.

Its like any forum, you have your share of idiots. Some guys over there know whats up though. The roid boards are where you run into complete wierdos.

trevorjk
02-13-2005, 06:23 PM
got a question for you mango.

id consider my self fairly active as i usually break a very slight sweat daily, i wouldnt consider it a work out though. but the thing is, my diet is well... crap. between premade foods fast food and the garbage i eat i know im not getting the essenstial vitamins that are needed. and i do eat fruits and veggies, its just sometimes its kind of out of the question. anyways i was looking at a vitamin i could take daily to better improve the balance in the nutrients that i take in.

so would you suggest a daily vitamin? if so wich one would you suggest for a fairly active 6" 170lbs male?

Mango
02-13-2005, 06:38 PM
got a question for you mango.

anyways i was looking at a vitamin i could take daily to better improve the balance in the nutrients that i take in.

so would you suggest a daily vitamin? if so wich one would you suggest for a fairly active 6" 170lbs male?

I'd first like to say that the 6 major TYPES of nutrients are:

Carbohydrates
Proteins
Fats
Vitamins
Minerals
Water (H20)

Vitamins themselves do not provide energy, they aid in the building of bones, contraction of muscles, intracelluar reactions and hundreds of other functions!

That being said, my favorite multivitamin is the Members Mark Advanced Multi Vitamin from Sams Club. Walmart may carry it as well. It's about $10 a bottle and has every major vitamin and mineral that a person would need. Remember, a vitamin PILL that you buy is a supplement. The Vitamins listed above are what we would idealy get from our diet.

I used to spend tons on the GNC Mega Men vitamins for no good reason. GNC makes some great stuff, it is however expensive.

tony3
02-13-2005, 06:43 PM
Trevor, still mango's opinion is probably better then mine. My bio teacher who is a doctor(MD/phd in biology)told us vitamin supplements still aren't as good as the actual thing. The only time they are very good to be used at when you are sick or have bad health(old age). That is what I have been told.

Mango
02-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Trevor, still mango's opinion is probably better then mine. My bio teacher who is a doctor(MD/phd in biology)told us vitamin supplements still aren't as good as the actual thing. The only time they are very good to be used at when you are sick or have bad health(old age). That is what I have been told.

I was slightly brushing on this point in my answer. NOTHING is as good as getting vitamins and minerals from the food we eat. There are many reasons for this and if you study the digestive system at all it makes perfect sense why. Our Intenstines are so long because they provide immense surface area for nutrients to be absorbed. The vitamins and minerals in the food we eat are BEST absorbed when given they are gathered from the food and certain parts of the intestine absorb certain vitamins and minerals. It all dosent dump into one place nor is it absorbed by the stomach. Only one thing is absorbed directly into the bloodstream through the stomach: Alcohol.

:)

Still, your body does manage to utilize multi-vitamins but research has yet to show just HOW effective.

SoccerPaintball3
02-14-2005, 04:10 PM
exercising is so overated, it is much easier to sit around and eat and play backman. :D

FutureMagOwner
02-14-2005, 04:52 PM
figure you could probably help me with what i should do now

just about exactly a year ago i started my weight loss program, 3 months later i lost 40 pounds and went from 225 to 185 and im said to be something like 6'1 6'2 ish. what i did was i excercised about 5 times a week for a 30-45 minutes and i took breaks on the weekends pretty much except for weight lifting (we did it in gym class so i would do that on the weekends, and then when that ended i kept it up for a little while) then during the summer i got lazy because school tends to give me any form of structure during the day, and towards mid summer i started doing pushups, dips, crunches, etc and i was definantly improving on that (went from being able to do sets of 10 pushups to sets of 40, and probably could do 75 at once at the time)

now its a year later and im 200 pounds now and just last night i could only do 20 pushups, so im looking for new motivation to get started again, but this time im looking primarily to lose weight because even at 185 i still had teh man boobehs and a bit of a gut, and im hoping to get rid of both, and at the same time do a light weight lifting program to fill in the gaps a bit, then jack up the weights maybe later to build some muscles since i dont wanna be some scrawny tall kid lol.

so i was wondering what you think would be a good amount of cardio to do, and how i should do it (like moderate difficulty for an hour maybe even an hour and a half or harder stuff for like a 1/2 hour 45 minutes) and which machine do you recommend i use (we have a rower machine, eliptical, and a bike thinger)

EDIT: also what kinda food should i cut back on mainly other than candy crap and what should i eat more of, like should i cut back on bread crap and eat more chicken/fish (i hate fish and i live in rhode island lol) or cut back on meat or maybe both? ive recently gotten into eating more fruit like apples and grapes, and i could go for an orange or a banana right about now lol

SAW
02-14-2005, 04:57 PM
exercising is so overated, it is much easier to sit around and eat and play backman. :D
But just tossing 9 pods isn't any fun. ;)
Mango, just out of curiosity, what type of education did you undergo in HS/College?

gibby
02-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Staying fit or active isn't something you really plan on doing daily. It's a lifestyle you choose for yourself. It's tough for lazy people to get motivated to do something physical because that's not their lifestyle. But they'll need to want to change before anything else.

If you're not into weight training, find something physical you think you can get into. I know I let myself go about a year ago. Granted, I wouldn't have considered myself obese but I peaked at the 165 lbs range and I'm 5'7". I'm the kind of guy who had a hard time gaining weight and weighing more than 145 lbs not too long ago. I also gained about 2-3 pant sizes too and I found most of my pants not fitting me anymore! LOL!!

I used to lift weights but now, I'm more into riding my bike every other day for about 2 hours each session. I definitely feel much better and I can finally fit into my pants again! Hehe!

Like I said, it's a lifestyle and you'll have to want to do it. Otherwise, if you do it because you "have to" do it, then you won't last long because it'll become more like a chore that you don't want to do.

High blood pressure runs in my family, along with diabetes. What scares me the most is the average age of men who suffer through some form of heart disease...I believe last I read, it was around 32? 33? That's pretty young if you ask me. I definitely don't want to go through that.

Caffiend
02-15-2005, 12:14 PM
This sets you up to be a PRIME candidate for an abnormal bone growth disease known as Osgood Schlatters Disease.

I had that in HS, my god did it suck!

First some fam history, heart attacks on my dad's side, high BP on my mom's side. Now for a real quick question (I hope). I found my target heart rate (117-146.25) When I run I use the eliptical machines because it's very low impact on my knees and my average heart rate is about 153 and it maxed out today at 163. Should I lower the resistance to bring my heart rate down? Or do those few extra beats per minute not matter? I run 2-3 times a week, 30 minutes of actual running, with a 5 minute walk around the track for both warmup and cool down.

THANKS!

MantisMag
02-15-2005, 12:52 PM
yes if you're above your target heart rate either slow down or lower the resistance. did you even need to ask?

Caffiend
02-16-2005, 10:53 AM
well, it's where my pace felt comfortable. If I slowed down it felt too slow, if I lowered the resistance, it felt...well funny I guess. Kind of like I was running downhill. I was just wondering if a few BPM higher than the cardio range was really bad or not.

Mango
02-16-2005, 05:49 PM
But just tossing 9 pods isn't any fun. ;)
Mango, just out of curiosity, what type of education did you undergo in HS/College?

In High School I was rarely ever physically active and couldn't care less about anything health related. My only activity was paintball and walking to vending machines. In college, thanks to the help of MantisMag, I discovered the Fitness Center and that has changed my life forever. I lost over 100lbs my first year of college, and about 10 inches off my waistline. I began to study the science behind weight loss, obesity, anatomy & physiology, biomechanics, etc. I did this on my own time for fun. I then changed my major from Computer Science to Health & Excercise Science: Health & Physical Education specialization. I will be graduating in May. I also, for my own benefit, have taken many extra classes in Exercise Physiology and Biomechanics to expand my knowledge and possibilities in graduate school.

I have also taken the ACE certification (American Council on Exercise) and am awating my certification slip in the mail. This is for Personal Training and it encompasses program design, nutrition, special populations, etc. I will also be Physical Best certified next month at a 3 day training course/conference I am attending.

My background is very much science and research based but it is also focused on Education. Plus, I know from personal experience, the psychological components involved in behavioral and lifestyle changes needed to change or improve ones quality of life.

I have made all aspects of Health, Physical Education, Exercise Physiology and Kinesiology my life basically. I have done so because I enjoy it and it is the science of LIFE and LIVING!

I hope this answers some questions. :)

Mango
02-16-2005, 05:53 PM
Staying fit or active isn't something you really plan on doing daily. It's a lifestyle you choose for yourself.

You are absolutly right! Everyone who chooses to change thier life, to take those first steps into improving thier health and wellness, goes through a series of changes. It's called the Stages of Change Model technically.

It's completely normal to move up and down this series of "steps." This link provides some decent explaination about the stages of change.

http://www.med.usf.edu/~kmbrown/Stages_of_Change_Overview.htm

Alpha
02-16-2005, 06:04 PM
This thread actually kinda inspired me a bit to start working out again. And my mom just bought a treadmill, So I'm going to run a few miles a day.

I'm gonna be ripped again yay
:headbang:

Mango
02-16-2005, 06:08 PM
WOW! That is GREAT!!

Just be sure to start with jogging first, you need to allow time for the body to adapt to the stresses placed on it when running! Start small then work up to longer duration and faster speed, and you will achieve great success!

This thread actually kinda inspired me a bit to start working out again. And my mom just bought a treadmill, So I'm going to run a few miles a day.

I'm gonna be ripped again yay
:headbang:

Alpha
02-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Yeah I noticed I needed to start running when I get out of breath for at least a minute running up the stairs to my next period.

Plus I'm enlisting in the Mairne Corps in two years and well.. Marines gotta run.

Automaggin2
02-16-2005, 09:13 PM
Yea, you know what? I've decided I'm not going to drink for an entire month and workout everyday. I want to see how much I can gain. The only thing I will be taking i protein shakes.

SAW
02-16-2005, 09:22 PM
In High School I was rarely ever physically active and couldn't care less about anything health related. My only activity was paintball and walking to vending machines. In college, thanks to the help of MantisMag, I discovered the Fitness Center and that has changed my life forever. I lost over 100lbs my first year of college, and about 10 inches off my waistline. I began to study the science behind weight loss, obesity, anatomy & physiology, biomechanics, etc. I did this on my own time for fun. I then changed my major from Computer Science to Health & Excercise Science: Health & Physical Education specialization. I will be graduating in May. I also, for my own benefit, have taken many extra classes in Exercise Physiology and Biomechanics to expand my knowledge and possibilities in graduate school.

I have also taken the ACE certification (American Council on Exercise) and am awating my certification slip in the mail. This is for Personal Training and it encompasses program design, nutrition, special populations, etc. I will also be Physical Best certified next month at a 3 day training course/conference I am attending.

My background is very much science and research based but it is also focused on Education. Plus, I know from personal experience, the psychological components involved in behavioral and lifestyle changes needed to change or improve ones quality of life.

I have made all aspects of Health, Physical Education, Exercise Physiology and Kinesiology my life basically. I have done so because I enjoy it and it is the science of LIFE and LIVING!

I hope this answers some questions. :)
Very cool stuff. Thanks Mango.

MantisMag
02-17-2005, 01:42 AM
In college, thanks to the help of MantisMag, I discovered the Fitness Center and that has changed my life forever.
hehehe. you're soooo far beyond those humble workout sessions now. i'll take credit for getting you there though. i remember that. you lost a little weight, said "WHOA! this is GREAT!" and away you went. now look at ya. :)

White_Noise
02-17-2005, 03:00 AM
ok mango heres my situation:

im 6' even, and about 145-155 pending scale/ if i just ate, etc.

i have access to the local fitness center here on campus with lots of equipment. (just havent had a plan of what id want to do there though, so i have lifted there)

my plan is to start running few days a week to build endurance, as well as start doing sprints with some guys from the paintball team we have here.

what my question really is is that im wondering what exercises besides running/ sprinting i can do to gain endurance/ quickness.

another thing id like to do would be to tone my muscle, but not gain alot in terms of size. then of course id like to learn something i could do to flatten/tone abs as well.

thanks.

btw: im actually debating going into a health/nutriton type major. im a freshman right now at UW-madison and was looking at a chem major, but im starting to think that it isnt for me.