PDA

View Full Version : Air filters and cars in general.

Carbon
02-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Your average car has an air fiter. Now, for most performace oriented car doods, i suppose you would want a relatively higher flowing filter.

I was entertaining the notion of having an electronic air filter. Ideally a multi stage filter that comprises of a relatively rough mesh mtallic mesh, with a charge applied to it, to attract dust and debris. Im guessing this has been done before?

would the air move too fast to be thoroughly cleaned? assuming this setup would be used on short run events.

just a random car thought

maglover728
02-12-2005, 11:04 PM
More than likely, yes the air would be moving too fast and that set up would most likely not be able to keep up if you were following some one on dusty dirt road. And if you chose to duct it straight from the outside of the body like under the grill or from behind a head light or even a hood scoop, there would be no protection from water vapor and mist from the cars in front of you or in the rain.

PyRo
02-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Air filters usually take so little away from your power, don't believe what K&N says.

teufelhunden
02-13-2005, 12:40 AM
Someone's seen too many Ionic Breeze commercials :)

Gtask8
02-13-2005, 12:50 AM
WEll, having too much air can be a problem too

scootermn
02-13-2005, 12:53 AM
hmmm, have you ever seen the mass air flow sensor on a chevy? it is a screen that usually impedes large amounts of air (very inneficent) they do sell different ones that use few less surface area, (maby 3 large wires instead of 100's) to reduce the impedence on the air, so infact the surface area you would need for something like that would likely not work very well. Now K&N's? those are nice, and pretty!

stondroopy
02-13-2005, 02:17 AM
i got a truflow on my truck there isnt any noticable power gain but it does idle smoother,i also thru a K&n filter on my bike and lost power, you should find out if it is really going to help

sabrefanpc
02-13-2005, 08:07 PM
another problem with such a precipitator is where the crud it filters out goes. if you are just usin it for a 1320 you could clean it at the end i guess, but efficiency in both airflow and cleaning may not be up to par

Steelrat
02-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Air filters usually take so little away from your power, don't believe what K&N says.

Very true.

Chris42050
02-14-2005, 09:08 PM
i got a truflow on my truck there isnt any noticable power gain but it does idle smoother,i also thru a K&n filter on my bike and lost power, you should find out if it is really going to help
Sounds like your bike isnt getting the proper fuel mixture. Since the K&N should allow more air to reach your cylindars it sounds like your bike is not mixing enough fuel with it and you are getting a lean mixture.

stondroopy
02-14-2005, 10:25 PM
i should have said for stock it makes less power,with the K&n and a Factory jet kit on it it was running rich.I spoke to a suziki tech and he had mentiond on gsxr for around my year you lose power.
but you are right,more air more fuel and a less restrictive exhaust.
if you want to increase air flow swap out the intake manifold.