PDA

View Full Version : what is this i read about trigger jobs?

renegade2k
11-14-2001, 08:13 PM
in like 10 diff peeps sig i see this "sweet trigger job by agd" does agd actually do trigger jobs for mags?

a_malfunction
11-14-2001, 08:26 PM
I dont think so.... They might tune it to work best with whichever frame that person has, but i dont think that they do trigger jobs...

Slapp
11-17-2001, 07:26 AM
In the tech class Tom discussed trigger function for mags. E-mags have their own trigger adjustments so can be easily tuned at home for peak feel and performance. Other mags triggers and their fire point are effected by the length of the on/off pin not by sear mods or jamming the trigger rod up against the back of the trigger itself. AGD techs could probably provide a different length of on/off pin that may shorten the stroke however mags are set up with some play in the trigger to provide greater reliability and reduce the chance of short stroking.

You can get different sizes of on/off pins from AGD, if you know how to work on your marker and want to experiment a bit. Just be sure to label the original pin and keep it unmodified in case you want to put it back in because other lengths do not work out for you or cause problems.

I don't think that AGD officially wants to have people sending in their markers for "trigger jobs" though. If your marker is going in for some other reason, you might be able to ask them to replace the on/off pin for a shorter trigger stroke. In the interest of safety (liability) and durability of mags, the triggers are set up out of the factory with some extra play for a reason. Before you try modding the trigger, be sure you know what you are doing or you are likely to end up with more problems than performance.

Shaft
11-17-2001, 08:51 AM
Along with what Slapp just mentioned.
Buy an extra on/off valve (or two) and try shaving a few thousandths off of the trigger pin NOT ON THE END THAT SEALS!
Any more than .005" and it'll be useless.

Do this on an extra valve, there is no reason to mess with something that works.

Gunga
11-17-2001, 09:02 AM
One other thing along the lines of what Shaft & Slapp mentioned (all 3 of us were at the tech class yesterday...lllllllllooooooooooong day!).

Don't perform a trigger job on your Mag by filing down your sear or changing the length of your trigger rod. You'll just screw up your gun.

The tip of the sear is case hardened to take the abuse of whacking up against that bolt. If you file the tip away, there goes the case hardening, leaving much softer steel exposed. This steel will quickly wear away, and you'll be buying a replacement sear.

The sear is a great example of how much thought and detail AGD goes into the engineering & manufacturing of their parts. If you look at the tip of your sear, you'll notice that it has a slight curvature to it. This is so that the sear will fit perfectly into the curvature of the bolt.

As for the trigger rod, it's length (as it comes from the factory) ensures that the sear fully engages/disengages the bolt and also ensures that the on/off valve fully opens/closes when you fire away. For example, if you mess with the trigger rod and cause your on/off valve to not fully open/close, you won't fully recharge the air chamber. The air contained in the air chamber is what drives your bolt forward and pushes your paintball towards the 'bad guy'. So if your air chamber isn't fully recharged...well, let me just say that it's fine with me, just as long as you're on the other team. ;)

The vast majority of problems with Mags is people putting in aftermarket parts or performing their own mods. You should've seen some of the pics they showed of stuff that people sent in to be fixed. Especially the 8-hole mods people did to their valves themselves. UUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGLY! Not to mention that they had to spend a few hundred bucks to buy themselves new AIR valves to replace the ones that they goofed up...all in the name of a mod that doesn't do a thing for you (except for some ancient mags).