PDA

View Full Version : K&N filters and intakes.....worth the dough?

Zumina
11-14-2001, 09:08 PM
Besides making your engine sound "meaner" is a K&N cone worth the money? I'm looking at getting a complete intake arm and K&N filter for $105. Some out there claim that it adds 5 or 6 horsepower at high RPMs, but, $105; couldn't it be spent something else that would yield a noticeable difference?

FooTemps
11-14-2001, 09:38 PM
The K&N does wonders for the nissan maxima for a cheap price...only 26 bucks for the cone filter I think.
They work well on almost any car than get get major hp improvment with better breathing...

Army
11-15-2001, 12:09 AM
I have a '96 Ranger 4 banger. The K&N allows me to go up a 6 mile, 7% grade in 4th without needing to drop to 3rd anymore. I also pulled out the baffle out of the air muffler. Not to mention I'll never have to buy another air filter again!:cool:

FooTemps
11-15-2001, 12:11 AM
Well, what can you buy for 105? NOTHING! NO NITROUS NO TURBO NO SUPERCHARGER NO HEADERS NO CAT BACK NO CAT! If you want to buy something for 501 go buy some nitrous....

adam68c
11-15-2001, 12:18 AM
I cant concieve spending 40$ for a stupid circle filter when i can buy a new one for 5$.I cant imagine that it does that much of a difference but I dont know. Some people say it increases gas mileage a good deal.It seems like all the hardcore dragracers use them and I would want one just for the sticker so my truck would look cool and people would think its fast.Maybe if i had money i would put one in.

FooTemps
11-15-2001, 12:55 AM
Look, you can buy the cone for 30 dollars. I've seen it that cheap but for the actual intake it'll cost ya more...

seekandestroy
11-15-2001, 06:55 AM
its definatley worth it. think of it as the warp feed for your car

Shaft
11-15-2001, 07:53 AM
You'd probably be hard pressed to feel any increases in performance.
Gas mileage may improve a bit.
But there will be some performance gain. When everything else will cost you no less than $100, the K&N is a relative bargain.
When you paid $4000 to build a motor, there is no reason not to treat it to a K&N.

Snappy
11-15-2001, 11:07 AM
A "Warp Feed" for your car would be forced induction, like super or turbo charger. Anyway, K&N filters do flow better. However, it helps even more when coupled with other "power adders." I have a cone on my little truck (V6) and added dual exhaust. I get better gas efficiency, much better throttle response and I can bark second now. My dad did the same thing to his SHO and has quite a bit more power, evident by his dino. The point is, if you make it breath deeper you need to let it breath out more. The gains are also more evident on "high performance" engines or high rev engines. Anyway, I'll more than likely have a K&N and catback to my next vehicle. :cool:

udtseal
11-15-2001, 01:38 PM
my car is a VW jetta, 1.8T (turbocharged) engine, so it breathes very good as is, stock. But, my friends have seen dramatic differences by taking out the stock airbox and putting in a cold air intake pipe with a K&N or ITG cone filter. But then again, our cars are all turbos so making them breath better always helps. I know the same is true for ANY car but the difference is more dramatic on forced induction cars. Plus, the little turbo 4 banger sounds a lot more gutsy now. :) I have yet to mod my car, it was mod my car or buy an emag, so i went with the emag. hah.

I do know that, one of my friends, just put a K&N panel filter in the stock airbox, and his MAF sensor (mass airflow sensor) went nuts. It drove his car insane and he had to take it out. Im sure this was a rare occurence.

Major Ho
11-16-2001, 09:46 PM
So weird this thread comes up when I was also looking into these as well... I was looking into the K&N fuel injector something ma bob... for ~$240 i can stick that puppy in there and K&N tested the jeep grand cherokee since it provided the best results and claim typical gain in HP is 26 for my engine... Woo hoo! I wonder if it really will make that much of a diff...

DRAGONSLAYER
11-17-2001, 01:39 PM
Yeah, the K&N works, also depending on your application, sometimes the K&N is only a few dollars more than the fram replacement. With the K&N being reuseable, you save money. Remember that they only have to be cleaned about every 50,000 mile, depending on your useage.

seekandestroy
11-18-2001, 09:21 AM
youre right snappy think of it as a revvy for your car

Hexis
11-20-2001, 01:35 PM
I think some people are a lil confused or mislead here. There are two main types of K&N filters.

Drop in replacemets, fit in factory filter housing, add a lil flow, reusable, cheap.

FIPKs, (Fuel Injector Performance Kits) They replace the entire Intake up to the MAS with a large canister filter. These add a lot of air flow and are on the cheap side compaired to about any other performance addons.

timmah68
11-23-2001, 10:09 PM
A K&N filter is alot like the 8-hole mod. For some engines, they dont add to performance, because the intake is providing all the air the engine needs. On some larger, restricted engines, it is a big improvement.