PDA

View Full Version : Movie: "Ong Bak" did you see it?

AGD
02-13-2005, 09:51 PM
AO,

Did you see this movie? What did you think?

AGD

SpecialBlend2786
02-13-2005, 09:56 PM
It was pretty sweet. Tony Jaa is the man, he really is. It seemed like the movie was designed to show off what he can really do. He does some crazy-legged stunts :wow:

I'd recomend it, it was entertaining.

edit: there were some pretty nice chases too.

Target Practice
02-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Tom, don't you have something better to do?

Anyhoo, I've been wanting to see it. It just seems more...gritty than most contemporary Kung Fu genre movies. It seems that the fighting seems more real.

Anyhoo, I'm going to see it if I can get in for cheap.

Sorry for not answering your question. :tard:

FooTemps
02-13-2005, 09:57 PM
...wtf... tom posting in the friendly... i am so not gonna get used to this...

btw: sounds interesting, any links or anything where i can get more details on it?

SpecialBlend2786
02-13-2005, 10:01 PM
btw: sounds interesting, any links or anything where i can get more details on it?

http://www.ongbak-lefilm.com/ there's the website, there's a trailer on there ;)

SAW
02-13-2005, 10:01 PM
I'll look into it.

AGD
02-13-2005, 10:23 PM
We went to see it because all the stunts were supposed to be without wires or special effects. All the fighting looked damn real to me! I was very impressed especially since most stuff today isn't real. I admit I could be fooled and the movie industry is more than willing to lie to me so I wanted your opinions.

If its true then they could never make that film in this country because I'm sure at least 50 guys went to the hospital during the filming.

AGD

Carbon
02-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Some of the older Jakie Chan movies are pretty sick too.

Police Story is one i reccomend.

Hexis
02-13-2005, 10:52 PM
I'm quite frustrated that it's not playing in the Minneapolis area. I'll be in San Fran next week, I'm going to try to see it then. The preview looks very impressive.

Eagle
02-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Tony Jaa is the new Jackie Chan! :wow: That fight between him and Big Bear was nuts. I want a 3 way fight between the both of them and Jet Li.

I'll be moving back south (to Va from Me) next month, and the only reason that disapoints me about that is movies like this.

Target Practice
02-13-2005, 11:56 PM
Some of the older Jakie Chan movies are pretty sick too.

Police Story is one i reccomend.

Is that the same one that I'm thinking of? I remember the first Jackie Chan movie I ever saw, and the one part that stands out is a bunch of people chasing him down on bicycles, and he ends up beating the hell out of all of them.

mcdkid
02-14-2005, 09:07 AM
and he ends up beating the hell out of all of them.

that always happens...

are you sure he was in police story, i remember all the movies, not the names too well.

BlackVCG
02-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Is that the same one that I'm thinking of? I remember the first Jackie Chan movie I ever saw, and the one part that stands out is a bunch of people chasing him down on bicycles, and he ends up beating the hell out of all of them.

That would be Rumble in the Bronx.

And yes, he was in Police Story.

Eric Cartman
02-14-2005, 11:14 AM
There's a scene in the trailer where he's holding his ankles and he lands knees first on some guy's chest and they both fall through the floor. Obviously the floor's made to break away, but still, how does that not result in serious knee injuries and broken ribs / punctured lungs etc? :eek:
Gotta see that flick. :ninja:

SAW
02-14-2005, 03:06 PM
how does that not result in serious knee injuries and broken ribs / punctured lungs etc? :eek:

See, that's just it. It probably DID result in injuries of one kind or another.

Jeffy-CanCon
02-14-2005, 03:35 PM
Yeah. Jackie Chan was injured making a lot of his movies. IIRC, he broke an ankle jumping onto a hovercraft in one, but came back later with a cast to reshoot the scene. :hail:

mcdkid
02-14-2005, 04:09 PM
i tihnk about a yaer ago, some show did an interview with jackie chan. he told a ton of stories about his many injuries in the films, it filled most of the hour.

Eric Cartman
02-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Yeah. Jackie Chan was injured making a lot of his movies. IIRC, he broke an ankle jumping onto a hovercraft in one, but came back later with a cast to reshoot the scene. :hail:

I know he broke his ankle in Rumble in the Bronx - I think he was jumping onto a garbage scow or something. They showed it all in the outtakes at the end of the movie.

He is a crazy man!

bofh
02-14-2005, 11:02 PM
I know he broke his ankle in Rumble in the Bronx - I think he was jumping onto a garbage scow or something. They showed it all in the outtakes at the end of the movie.

He is a crazy man!

I love the sock painted like a sneaker that he had over his cast on his foot. Looked damn real.

breg
02-15-2005, 12:25 AM
There is just something about kung-fu flicks, isn't there? There is just something immensly enjoyable about them in general. That and what it would be like to have Maggie Cheung kick your butt.........
Honestly, though, I'm kind of dissappointed that I am in Turkey, since I have a feeling that this one will not be here, and if it does come, well, it won't be for a while...

Sounds awsome though!

digitard
02-15-2005, 06:01 AM
I have the imported DVD (hooray for english subtitles).

I have a new respect for Muay Thai. I knew the basics of it, and some of its background, but watching this guy really work it was awsome, and the dude is definitaly the next 'Jackie Chan'.

There's this one fight scene, which you get a preview of during the trailer, which just blew me away. I'm not going to ruin it, but in the preview where you see the 'tough guy' fighting in the bar like place and owning people and he just walks up and single kicks him isn't even the BEGINNING of that scene. It goes on from there and he faces multiple opponents and it gets more and more stunning. I'm not going to give any of the scene away in what happens, but damn the camera angles and fights themselves are butter!

I highly recommend picking it up.

If you want to see another amazingly fun (But lots of wirework) kung fu flick check out 'KUNG FU HUSTLE'. Its hilarious, and some cheese but man its a great flick to watch . Lots of visual candy.

bofh
02-15-2005, 07:46 AM
If you want to see another amazingly fun (But lots of wirework) kung fu flick check out 'KUNG FU HUSTLE'. Its hilarious, and some cheese but man its a great flick to watch . Lots of visual candy.

I second the Kung Fu Hustle, I saw it sunday. Lots of fun, not better than Shaolin Soccer, buut still very good.

Thordic
02-15-2005, 09:40 AM
Is this movie like a typical Kung Fu movie with absolutely ridiculous fight scenes that make no sense, or is it more "real" martial arts movie?

I won't see it if its one of those movies where people are fighting in mid air for half an hour. I refuse to watch CT:HD or Kill Bill or those such movies. (Kung Pow is the only exception.)

thecavemankevin
02-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Tony Jaa is the new Jackie Chan! :wow: That fight between him and Big Bear was nuts. I want a 3 way fight between the both of them and Jet Li.

I'll be moving back south (to Va from Me) next month, and the only reason that disapoints me about that is movies like this.

um, its playing down here too bro

digitard
02-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Is this movie like a typical Kung Fu movie with absolutely ridiculous fight scenes that make no sense, or is it more "real" martial arts movie?

I won't see it if its one of those movies where people are fighting in mid air for half an hour. I refuse to watch CT:HD or Kill Bill or those such movies. (Kung Pow is the only exception.)

Its more of a 'realistic' movie. It uses NO wirework. Its all the main character with no wirework, no stuntman and all *** whoopin.

SAW
02-15-2005, 03:21 PM

In my opinion, the scenes are rediculous. Action that occurs during the fight scenes would be insane even with our safety precautions. The fact that the film uses no such thing only raises the bar. You simply cannot believe that it is for real.

Hexis
02-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Sweeeeeet. It's playing less than a block away from my Hotel. Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Carbon
02-16-2005, 02:28 AM
Yeah Police Story i belive it was called. At the end there is just a ridiculous battle sceene in a shopping mall. They were literally wrecking shop.

Hexis
02-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Went to Ong Bak last night. I liked it a lot. Tony Jaa is quite impressive. I'm looking forward to more films with him in them.

I think I still like Wushu better than Muay Thai. For Jet Li is still my favorite. Unleashed looks like it will be quite good. Luc Besson and Jet Li, can't go wrong with that combo.

Eagle
02-16-2005, 05:44 PM
um, its playing down here too bro

Really, I talked to a friend of mine who said it wasn't. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Shaun of the Dead never hit theaters down there did it?

thecavemankevin
02-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Really, I talked to a friend of mine who said it wasn't. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Shaun of the Dead never hit theaters down there did it?

well, i have two friends that saw it out in the west end on sunday (ong bak). as for shaun, i'm not sure. i think it did, but i don't know, i just dl'ed it.

Fixion
02-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Speaking of good movies... anyone here seen Zatoichi? I saw it a few days ago. One of the best movies I've seen in a while.

Yes it has subtitles, yes its still a very good movie.

I just "aquired" Ong-Bak, I'll watch it latter today. :)