PDA

View Full Version : Foamie & Foamieless Bolt?

Mild 7
11-15-2001, 12:04 AM
Hello:

Can anyone tell me what's the difference between the foamie & the foamieless bolt in terms of performance wise? They cost about the same as I was told.

I have a RT bought a few years ago and I'm wondering whether I have the foamie or the foamieless...Or how could I tell which one do I have? And better yet, which one should I have?

As a note, I like to add that the Superbolt contest was pretty cool. But no one seem to answered my questions in the contest so I might as well ask again here. What is the hype about this superbolt? Is it better than the foamie and the foamless? What's the difference?

davej946
11-15-2001, 07:51 AM
Mild,
Foamie/Foamie-less comes down to the nose of the bolt. The foamie bolt has a piece of rubber, to help soften the bolt's contact with the ball. The foamieless (stock) bolt does not have this. I have heard that the foamies come off frequently.

Performance wise, it's just preference as far as I know. I need to order a new bolt, and I'm still debating foamie or no. On an RT I'm 99% sure that you have the foamie-less bolt stock. Again which one you should have is preference.

The Superbolt has a delrin sleeve, making lighter than the stock stainless bolt. This is designed to reduce kick, making the gun more accurate. To my knowledge, the SuperBolts come only in foamie-less form.

Hope this helps,

Mild 7
11-16-2001, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the reply DavJ, I decided to try the foamy out. They both cost the same and like you said, one's got the rubber tip and the other one don't. I spoke to 2 techs and one of'em is from AGD and he told me he preferred the foamie even though its more of a preference issue. He also did addressed that the rubber thingee comes off, but he's cool enough to give me a few extra. However...now I'm worried that will I break balls if that rubber comes off??
I forgot to ask him that. Please let me know if you've seen or heard paint breakage due to the foamies coming off, let me know so I can call'em and change my mind.

Thanks

BlackVCG
11-16-2001, 02:21 AM
Use a high quality glue and make sure the surface is cleaned with alcohol before you put on the foamie and it will last a long time.

As for the delrin bolts, they are foamie style.

Thordic
11-16-2001, 09:27 AM
I use my foamie bolt in the winter, when the shells tend to get more brittle. Foamieless are summer.

It's all preference, I suppose. I never noticed a performance change, I just use the foamie in the winter as a "preventive" measure.

Speaking of which, I need to buy me some foamies :) Im fresh out.

Mild 7
11-16-2001, 02:45 PM
Hello BlackVCG:

So what kind of glue you would recommend, 'cause that sound like a good idea. I don't think superglue would do, would it? Apoxy Resin?

BlackVCG
11-16-2001, 02:52 PM
I personally use Loctite 404 Instant Adhesive. It's the best stuff I've used yet, but any type of instant adhesive should do the job. Try going to a hobby store and finding the instant adhesives they sell there. It will work better than the super glue you find at the grocery store.

Mild 7
11-16-2001, 03:00 PM
Roger and on my way!