PDA

View Full Version : LAsering Chrome?

Creative Mayhem
02-16-2005, 07:30 AM
Hey, I am having something chromed and I was going to add some lettering/graphics to it, and I don't know if it is possible to laser chrome? Can someone shed some light on this for me. Thanks.

The Frymarker
02-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Hey cm,

I think I know a little about it. Chrome is plated and the only way to get something on there is to have a bare stripped surface then laser then have it chromed.

I think if you laser it when it is already chromed it may chip.
I could be wrong

RRfireblade
02-16-2005, 12:19 PM
You can laser chrome. The only real problem is it comes out white/silver in color much like laser etching glass. (which I do as well) Not really going to show up very well. You could have it Yagged like AGD does on thier valves but that will definately go thru the plating which may or may not create and issue there.

Doc Nickel
02-16-2005, 01:49 PM
The local shop that does my laser engraving tells me he has a "paint" that is put on the chrome or highly-polished part (like stainless steel) that the laser cures and melts into the engraving line. So when the excess is wiped/washed off, the lines are left black. The cured material is supposedly very chemical and wear resistant- it's meant to traceably mark aircraft parts, and the lettering can still be read even after a crash/fire.

Doc.

Creative Mayhem
02-16-2005, 02:04 PM
The local shop that does my laser engraving tells me he has a "paint" that is put on the chrome or highly-polished part (like stainless steel) that the laser cures and melts into the engraving line. So when the excess is wiped/washed off, the lines are left black. The cured material is supposedly very chemical and wear resistant- it's meant to traceably mark aircraft parts, and the lettering can still be read even after a crash/fire.

Doc.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Doc, how much does this shop charge, and what's the name of the shop? Thanks

Doc Nickel
02-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Costs depend on the part and the artwork. I assume the price is better if you have a .dxf file ready to go, but I usually don't. :D I just have cocktail-napkin scribbles...

I also get a break when bringing more than one part- they're by no means a "production" shop, but at least the file conversion and testing time is split up- over more parts.

And "local" means "up here in backwater, Alaska". I use 'em because I can drive right over and say, yah, I need this, right here, then come and pick up the part the next day. But there's a jillion laser-engravers out there, and probably a lot closer to you. :D

I offer the engraving service on a gun that's already here or that I'm already building/working on, but for simple logos and such, other shops can do it cheaper.

Doc.

Creative Mayhem
02-16-2005, 04:17 PM
thanks for the heads up Doc! :hail:

LudavicoSoldier
02-16-2005, 04:28 PM
I'd suggest Palmers for laser engraving. I'm sure they know all about laser engraving a chromed part. :shooting: