PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating This Laptop - CyberPower Xplorer X64-8000 PRO

Warrior_Rocker
02-16-2005, 11:30 PM
Alrite. I am contemplating getting this laptop as a replacement to my desktop (which is for sale on AO rite now) I will be using things such as Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, Imageready, and all that good stuff. And of course Games games games.
http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/images/nb/x5opensil_400x413.jpg
$1379.00

I think this is a pretty nice setup considering the price. Specs are as follows:

15.4" WIDE-SCREEN LCD DISPLAY
AMD™ MOBILE ATHLON™64 3000+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology
SiS Chipset Mainboard
1024 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR MEMORY (CORSAIR)
80 Gigabyte Hard Drive
Modilbe ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128 MB Video
8x DVD and 24/16/24 CDRW Combo Drive
Built in Wifi
Li-Ion 8-Cell PACK, 14.4V x4400 mAh
3 USB 2.0 Ports
Built-In 3in1 Media Reader
Built-In Stereo Speaker System
Built-In Modem
Built-In Network Card
------------
Microsoft Works 7.0
Windows XP Office
Free Half Life 2

Jonneh
02-16-2005, 11:37 PM
why not just buy a new desktop? I'm sure for the amount of money that thing goes for you could buy a better machine, plus keep your options open for expansion.

Warrior_Rocker
02-16-2005, 11:43 PM
Desktop's will always be cheaper for the specs you get... But since if i bought a Nice Desktop, I'd have to buy an LCD screen anyway, cuz i hate my monitor... So I might as well have an awesome Laptop to use anyware in the house...?

digitard
02-17-2005, 12:04 AM
True, except that your laptop is much more limited. You dont have the same expandability, and upgradeability as a desktop.

Plus, honestly, I dont like using my laptop for gaming unless its just a cheesy lil game to kill time. I'd rather use my PC.

I have a P4 Gateway laptop and my AMD system. I use my desktop for all major stuff (photoshop, dreamweaver, video editing, gaming) and my laptop is mainly a multimedia center (divx video outputed to my TV) and internet/schoolwork.

I have 'City of Heroes' installed on both my desktop and my laptop and while it runs pretty close (laptop has the graphics turned down a tiny bit to make it smooth) I still prefer my desktop.

The WIFI is nice cause I do chill in the living room downloading stuff, while browsing th enet and watching the TIVO, but thats really my only major perk outside of hooking it up to my TV for movies (its so much easier than burning everything to DVD...lol).

Warrior_Rocker
02-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Digit thanks for your post. And i understand all that... But even this lap top would be an upgrade for me... Here are my current desktop specs.

1.9 Ghz
256 Ram
Nvidia Geforce 4 64mb

So... This laptop is almost tiwce as good, and its portable =) ... And All my pshop, comes off this POS I run right now. Anyway, I'll Mainly be playing CS and CS Source, so yah. And I used to play them on this POS i use now, so I know they'll run awesome on that setup. Prolly for birthday or something. I'll get a Niceeee Monitor (startin to take my graphic desing seriously)...

So now that we're off the GET A DESKTOP idea, what about the laptop

digitard
02-17-2005, 04:26 PM
If you're definitaly wanting a laptop then you should be fine.

You should probably get an optical mouse too for your photoshop cause that thumbpad just wont cut it. I've gotten used to it for normal stuff, but I still plug in the wireless optical for doing anything in photoshop or video editing cause of the precision needed.

Warrior_Rocker
02-17-2005, 04:41 PM
Yup thats true Digi, I already have one too =)... Awesome for sitting on the couch :D

Keep em comin guys

Warrior_Rocker
02-17-2005, 11:37 PM
for all of you who say i should get a desktop, the point of getting the laptop is apparent, portability, plus no need for tons of wires connecting keyboard, mouse, monitor, audio, all though, most of which probably will be used externally when used in my room :)

Xyxyll
02-18-2005, 02:25 AM
heh... the issue I'm going to have to face is the requirement that I have a notebook computer for college. I've grown up on desktops all my life. Sure laptops are cool, but you simply lose all sense of upgrading when you use a laptop. I don't know what I'll do. I want to bring both a notebook and a desktop, but dorm rooms nowadays are already teeny-tiny. I suppose I'll buy some super-nice notebook, use it for a semester, then decide whether I need my desktop at college too.

Warrior_Rocker
02-19-2005, 11:46 AM
I just decided I would also get the External Adigy 2 So i can use me 5.1 Sound System with it