PDA

View Full Version : A teaser for my new grips...

Dave
11-15-2001, 03:06 PM
What can I say?

1. I saw that guys post yesterday about the custom grips.

2. We have a small planer, band saw, vise, and files in our garage.

3. I work at a stair company and can get tons of free scraps.

Well, I decided to make my own grips. It was my own design. I wanted something around the .45 style, but I wanted it to stick out a little:) This is what they look like after 4 hours of workin' on them. They are made out of Brazilian Cherry, a rarity for our stair company to get. The one on the right has one coat of finish on it to kind of show you what it could look like when it is all done, and the one on the left is unfinished but ready to go. I have all ready checked the fit on my Intelliframe, and these things look nice on there. The big step I have ahead is to drill the holes for the screws...and I will take my time. Once they are finished and on my gun, I will put up a picture of what they look like.

Tell me what you think. Thanks for lookin'

-Dave

Potatoboy
11-15-2001, 03:30 PM
Those look really nice, I might be interested in a set for the intelliframe, providing you drill a hole for my jack before you finish them.

Flamebo
11-15-2001, 03:40 PM
Looks nice... Needs holes ;)

Army
11-15-2001, 05:21 PM
SWEEEET!

Good job with the symetry. I like the unusual lines too:cool:

LawFox32
11-15-2001, 06:01 PM
Very nice grips; I like em a lot!
Smart Parts makes those wood grips but I have never been a fan of them, those look a lot better than SP's

pumpamatic
11-15-2001, 09:51 PM
What did you put on for a finish? You should make bunches of them and sell them on here. Try using different techniques too. I made some grips in like 45 minutes out of pine and put some designs on with a woodburning kit. You'd get a lot of profit out of it, just using scraps.

Dave
11-17-2001, 09:15 AM
I used Formby's tung oil finish. They are on my mag right now, and looking great. They still need a few more coats, but for now, they will definitely do. I got a hold of some crazy spalted maple that I will be experimenting with.

-Dave

luke
11-17-2001, 10:23 AM
Nice workmanship!

LawFox32
11-17-2001, 10:29 AM
post some pics of them on your mag, I bet it looks really nice

Dave
11-18-2001, 02:03 PM
man! I tried scanning it and the quality was terrible!:) the Intelli was red colored which didn't go with the wood and what-not. I'll try to take a picture of it when I can!

Thanks guys for all your nice comments!

-Dave