PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for a rec gun

bratch
02-20-2005, 04:42 AM
I'm an old timer who hasn't been around in a long time. I've played alot of tourneys and had most of the top end guns.

Saying all that I was talking to a buddy from high school tonight who said some of the guys we graduated with are playing renegade ball every weekend. They have a few Tippman 98s and another gun thats about the same caliber. They also have a Co2 fill station.

That being said I've been gone so long that I don't know whats out there anymore. What are the nice "rec" markers on the market today? It needs to run on Co2.

shartley
02-20-2005, 06:32 AM
It depends on your budget. What is the budget range you are looking to fall into?

Tippman 98c either manual or electronic are reliable markers. And the same could be said about the A5.

There are also a wide range of pump markers on the market if you want to go that route.

And if you are looking for high quality and an overall great marker, AND are willing to fork over some cash, you can look to PPS markers.

Also don’t forget that any marker that is used for “tournament” play can be used for “rec” play as well.

automikey
02-20-2005, 07:06 AM
If you decide on a A5 or 98c, I have a small collection I am selling off and I'll make you a nice deal with accesories.

tyrion2323
02-20-2005, 08:04 AM
I'd recommend getting in contact with Tunaman and getting a nice classic mag.

For a mechanical, Mags are just about the best around.

trains are bad
02-20-2005, 09:41 AM
If you are to be running CO2 I would not reccomend a mag of any flavor. A tippmann would be fine, but for something nicer I would reccomend a nice mech cocker. Also, make sure to check out the new SP ION.

VFX_Fenix
02-20-2005, 11:50 AM
For the Budget oriented Joe who's looking for a high Firepower:Cost ratio there aren't many that can beat the Spyder Imagine or other inexpensive eSpyder. Tippmann's the way to go for those with a slightly more robust budget, either M98C or A-5, or one who simply doesn't want an eFramed sear tripper. There's the tried and true Phantom as well on the shadey side of <$200. The Ion is out there now for around $285, similarly with the Diablo Wrath. Used Cockers are generally pretty cheap, there's the WGP Trillogy serrier cockers now which go from I believe $130 to $225 from base model to fully upped model. There are a lot of options out there for less than $300, and the cost of "Tourney Grade" starts to get thick around $500 on up to how much your Platinum card can support.

Reader's Digest: Spyder, eSpyder, Tippmann M98C, WGP Trillogy, Phantom, Tippmann A-5, WGP Autococker, Ion/Wrath.

mark_1791
02-20-2005, 12:57 PM
I say for rec and running off co2 get a tippmann 98c. Yesterday I went out and played with a rental 98c* in the rain and it got soaked. Worked perfectly! 'Course, I bet mags can do the same thing, but not on CO2.

Tippmann 98 Custom!

*I was playing with a rental because my mag's on/off pin snapped and I need to get it fixed

txaggie08
02-20-2005, 02:05 PM
ive been running a mag on co2 for many years now, never given me any trouble(bought the valve 7 years ago and havent rebuilt it/ had any trouble). there are a couple tricks with braided steel hose you can do that pretty much eliminates the need for even anti siphon.. if youll make a loop extending above the body(above the inlet....taller the better) it will keep enough liquid out of the gun to not cause issues(mostly). i would personaly want a good classic mag, with an antisiphon co2 tank and a good hosing setup for recbal(hey wait....i do have one). nice reliable gun, good rof and plenty of upgrade potential(enough for me anyways). Might also look into pimping a rainmaker out if you want something e-grip, but kinda unique

FSU_Paintball
02-20-2005, 02:09 PM
If you need to run CO2, I'd go with a Tippmann A-5 (like the 98 but better... plus you'll never need to buy a hopper for it) or use a cocker with anti-syphon.

master_alexander
02-20-2005, 02:10 PM
if i were you and were just screwing around and playing recball every weekend, i would get an A-5, if yu are in the woods, otherwise get a cocker, if you decide to really get into it, you can get an eblade kit later, or gt a mag, buthay work beter on nitro.

Skywalker
02-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Why is everyone all about the 98c? If I were you, I'd look into a Prolite.

ej_y4
02-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Why is everyone all about the 98c? If I were you, I'd look into a Prolite.
if you deside to get a timpman, go prolite ;) ,it has proven it self overtime

mobius
02-20-2005, 03:50 PM
One way or the other, Tipmanns are great recball markers.

bratch
02-21-2005, 12:25 AM
Thanks guy. I actually have an old Dye Cocker lying around my house somewhere in pieces but thought it might be a little excessive for playing with some buddies at someones house.

I'll have to search around and see what I can come up with.

minimag03
02-21-2005, 02:10 AM
if you deside to get a timpman, go prolite ;) ,it has proven it self overtime

I don't think they ahve been made for awhile. If you can find one make sure hammer isn't rusty.

-minimag03