PDA

View Full Version : New players and $1400 guns?

paint magnet
02-20-2005, 02:13 PM
I had a somewhat eventful day yesterday. I played at Upstate Paintball, where I usually play, and used the Nelspot for the first time in a while. Over the course of the day I shot a little over half a pod of paint, including the 20 or so rounds I shot through the 'Mag at the end of the day, and used three 12 grams (got about 30 shots off the first two and only a few shots off the last one; I changed 12 grams not knowing it was going to be the last game of the day). Even though it was shooting pretty low (around 235 fps), I managed to get my share of eliminations.

I guess the main reason I'm writing this though is, well, I'm not really sure. You might call it a complaint, or simply an observation. Anyway, after a few hours of playing, it was a pretty typical day. Around 2:30 or so, four more players came to the field. Three of them, I believe, were brothers, two of which were probably in the 11-14 range, and their youngest sibling, who was 8. Their friend, who seemed to be about the same age as the eldest, also accompanied them, along with, of course, their mother. Anyway, the two older brothers were all decked out from head to toe in brand new Dye gear (pants, jerseys, goggles, headbands,…) and shooting brand new DM5s with Halo B's and Crossfire 45/45 screw in tanks (well, it was more like attempting to shoot, I'll get to that later). The 8 year old kid (yes, he was 8, I asked him) was also dressed in similar attire, with the addition of a chest protector thing that made him look like a robot, and shooting an A-5 RT. A short conversation revealed that the eldest had been playing for approximately two and a half years, having gone from a Tippmann 98 to the A-5 to the DM5, which he got for Christmas, over that period of time. Upon receiving the DM5, he passed the A-5 down to his little brother. The middle sibling had never played before and got a DM5 for Christmas as well.

After recovering from the initial shock that resulted from the realization that

a.) Their mother had probably spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $4,000+ on the three of them for Christmas (and that's probably just for paintball related stuff)

b.) Two of them had never played before and

c.) That they saw nothing wrong with this,
I had to explain to the middle one that you were supposed to hook the quick disconnect on the 4500 fill station to the fill nipple on the tank and not try to screw it into the pin valve on the front, answer several questions about my marker, show the little kid how to screw his CO2 tank into the ASA of the A-5, cock it for him, show him where the chrono was and how to use it (explain that it had to be turned on before it would register a shot), and then go back and tell the oldest one for the third time not to keep messing with his feedneck or he was going to strip the threads out of the body.

As it turns out, the feedneck that was included with his DM5 was defective and did not fit the gun. He still managed to strip it out, but fortunately for him, he didn't strip the threads out of the gun body. One of the guys that worked there tried another Matrix-threaded feedneck and it fit, but he ended up loaning the kid his own DM3 to play with for the day.

Eventually, after they all got their crap together, we went out on the hyperball field to play. I played pretty badly for the first several games, I managed to take the snake pretty quickly during the fist two games, but I had been using the Viking lately and was out of practice with the Nelspot. I was missing shots I normally would have made with ease, although it might have had something to do with the fact that paintballs have a somewhat different range and trajectory at 235 fps.

They stayed about two hours and shot about a case of paint each. From what I've heard though, kids that have never played before getting $1400 guns for Christmas doesn't seem to be a rare occurance. What are your thoughts and opinions on the subject?

On a side note, I would have spent $5 the entire day (for field fee, I had 140 rounds of paint left over and brought 12 grams, so I didn't need to buy air), but I finally convinced myself to buy a $15 pair of gloves after three bleeding wounds to my left hand and digging dirt out from under a flap of skin with the blade of my knife. Of course, after buying them, I only took one hit to the hand the rest of the day. Maybe next time I'll convince myself to buy a neck protector.

mag88888
02-20-2005, 02:45 PM
dont see that often :wow: :cuss:

calcan311
02-20-2005, 02:47 PM
I think those kids are totaly spoiled, but at the same time I am very jealous. :cry: What can you do, the will always be people who can deck themselves out with the latest gear. I think it is fine as long as the kids are being safe and not bonus balling anyone.

Automaggin2
02-20-2005, 02:58 PM
Well, at my local fields, they seperate people into groups based on what they look like. If your all decked out in Dye gear and 5 grand worth of equipment on you, then you are going to be put with the "tournament players". Now I show up, sometimes they try sticking me with the "rec" group only because I'm not all decked out in my tourney gear. I always tell them to put me with the tournament players, and I always get responses like "are you sure man? those kids have DM5s and Angels, you only have a mechanical cocker your gonna get crushed!" Haha I love it. Then i end up ROMPING all those little rich kids, bunkering them and all. I really enjoy bunkering them and shottin a few in there back and having them cry to mommy and daddyt. I have been close to fist fights with some dads before because they were complaining that I shot there son "to many times or to close".

IF YOU WANT TO GIVE YOUR SON ALL TOURNAMENT EQUIPMENT, I'M GOING TO TREAT HIM LIKE A TOURNAMENT PLAYER AND PLAY AS HARD AS I WOULD AGAINST ANYONE ELSE. IF I SHOOT YOUR SON 5 TIMES IN THE BACK THEN O WELL, HE NEEDS TO GET OFF THE FIELD AND QUIT PLAYING IF HE CANT HANDLE THE PAIN AND THE PRESSURE WITHOUT CRYING AND MAKING ME LOOK LIKE A JACKASS

Creative Mayhem
02-20-2005, 03:01 PM
I have seen this before.... The best part is, with some kids, it is purely a fad, and they decide they don't want to play anymore, and there's the parent, stuck with the bill for this fad.

Automaggin2
02-20-2005, 03:02 PM
I have seen this before.... The best part is, with some kids, it is purely a fad, and they decide they don't want to play anymore, and there's the parent, stuck with the bill for this fad.

Yea thats Why I still shoot a 500 d0llar gun, the same gun I have owned for the past 3 years. My parents thought it would only be a fad. 8 years later they finally see its not a fad for me.

rtjrom
02-20-2005, 03:16 PM
I see this quite a bit at the field where i play. 10 year olds walking in with timmies and angels and then sadly watching as they totally misuse the gun toss it around leave it lying around. One specific time one kid walked in with a Lasoya Timmy and ended up shotting the ref in the ear and body three times because he accidently bumped his gun as he walked out after being eliminated. It is just a lil scarey when kids that young and with so little knowledge have that much fire power.

68magOwner
02-20-2005, 03:21 PM
yeah, yesterday i played, a kid who i had seen play for his first time (probably around 4 months ago) was there, with all new dye gear and a DM5. It was preety pathetic, he said he got it all for christmas, the kid couldnt even shoulder the marker properly, much less actually walk the trigger.(this kid actually managed to chip his tooth twirling around his barrel later in the day :eek: ) There was also a kid in all DYE with a new proto that his parents had bought for him, but, at least he could actually use it/play, so, not AS bad. I am 16, 17 soon, i have bought all of my paint ball equipment myself, and pay for all of my stuff when a play (one exception- my mom once bought me a case of paint with some of the money we got to fix my car after i got hit in it, i also got a barrel kit, and warp feed for christmas (over 2 years, not both at once)) so, not 100% by myself, wit barrel kit, warp, and case of paint, parents have put ~$175 or so into my hobby over the last 4 years, so, i concider myself paying for it all for the most part.

Automaggin2
02-20-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm pushing 20, and my parents do pay for some of my paintball expenses now. They see that I'm never going to quit, and its actually something that I enjoy, so now they pay for my tournament entrys and half my paint costs.

When I was younger I would get a case of paint if I got good grades, or a case for mowing me lawn 4 times. My parents would never flat out buy me a 1500 dollar gun or 5 ccases of paint every weekend.

Halliday
02-20-2005, 03:35 PM
I love kids like that.

That's why I try to always have some cash on hand at the field. You never know when paintball will be some passing fad and you can get a great deal on some slightly used gear :)

mobius
02-20-2005, 03:46 PM
It's ridiculous. If I wanted something that wasn't necessary growing up, I had to save for it. And for those who say it's different because these kids' parents may have money, that's not always the case. My parents are fairly well off (combined income well over $130,000). They didn't spend frivilously though, which is why they now can afford to live in a $550K home. I think the most they've ever spent on me in one sitting was a new couch for my apartment (I didn't have a couch). I was totally not expecting them to spend $700 on it, either. I figured I'd probably pick up half the bill. But they rationalized it as something I needed that I couldn't afford any time soon. They never would have bought me a new car, or a DM5, or a huge TV.

In closing, it kills me to see parents spending ludicrous amounts of money on their children for things that are "wants", not "needs".

Soopa Villain17
02-20-2005, 04:00 PM
im 18, and ive played since i was around 12 or 13 and ive bought 95 % of all my paintball stuff myself , i still dont have a 1400 nice electro though , im quite content with my tac one

danheneise
02-20-2005, 04:10 PM
that's the best example of spoiled and IMO unsafe i have ever seen. Does it make me jealous? heck no, in fact it makes me even more proud of everything i have bought on my own and would love to play against these little mommy's wallets kids and show them a lesson or two

It's interesting how a few years ago, i was kind of intimidated by anyone that owned an electro, but now i just realize that they probably had their mommys and daddys buy the guns and paint, and they have no skill because of that.

mandatory
02-20-2005, 04:14 PM
I see that all the time in souther california. I see these rich kides come to the field with brand new angel speeds. they haddent played befor and during the first game i charged the snake off the break made one elimination then was tagged my the back left on the other team. Anyway when i walked to the side of the field i could see the two kids with their angels in the farthest back bunker shooting with one hand at a 60 degree angle towards the sky and just emptying pods. compleatyl just shooting into the air. i felt bad for them. idots. but in san diego you see that alot

kraztkut

SlipknotX556
02-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Little kids with expensive gear, I dont mind it as long as the kid knows if he decideds to play with me and my friends, we dont hold back due to age. Prime example, I was playing last week, it was me and 4 of my friends vs 5 walk on's one of them was a 10 year old kid who was decked out in matching gear with his older brother. Game starts, I held back right can for most of the game, then mad a dash for the 50, got it. I see only 3 people left, all directly lined up down the center, so I decide to do a triple bunk, nail all 3 of them without getting hit. The 10 year old kid was the 2nd one to get bunked. Game over, I walk back to my staging area, the kids dad and brother came over to me and yelled at me for bunkering the kid, threatend to get me kicked off the field for bunkering(which is allowed at my field). I tried to explain to the dad and brother that there are 2 fields, one for walk ons, one for teams. Walk on has a 10ft rule, team dosent, we played team field. The dad goes over the owner and tried to get me kicked out, but the owner knows me and told the dad the same thing I did. If the kid has a timmy or angel or dm4 or any expensive gun I dont care, as he understands we dont hold back.

RRfireblade
02-20-2005, 04:23 PM
From what I've heard though, kids that have never played before getting $1400 guns for Christmas doesn't seem to be a rare occurance. What are your thoughts and opinions on the subject?

Well obviously it's the green monster in you and most other people that have a problem with this kind of thing,sorry to say.

There are people driving nicer cares than me that didn't "Earn" it and people living in nicer houses than me that didn't "Earn" it and people owning a whole variety of stuff niver than me that didn't "Earn" it in the generally accepted meaning of the phrase.

Guess what, that's NEVER going to change in the whole rest of your life.I wouldn't put so much thought into what you may think is "Fair" and just be happy with yourself and what you feel you have "Earned". ;)

You live a much happier life, I promise.

Stix
02-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Well obviously it's the green monster in you and most other people that have a problem with this kind of thing,sorry to say.

There are people driving nicer cares than me that didn't "Earn" it and people living in nicer houses than me that didn't "Earn" it and people owning a whole variety of stuff niver than me that didn't "Earn" it in the generally accepted meaning of the phrase.

Guess what, that's NEVER going to change in the whole rest of your life.I wouldn't put so much thought into what you may think is "Fair" and just be happy with yourself and what you feel you have "Earned". ;)

You live a much happier life, I promise.

I totally agree with you, and you are right, for the most part we shouldn't really care whether we have or not compared to those people have the green. However, there are things I think one has to earn in ability as well as monetarily. To me "earning" a paintball gun can be likened to "earning" a car, through practice and dedication, not only in ability to purchase said articles.

For example It becomes incredibly dagnerous, and it affects us users of said equipment who have "earned" the use of our equipment thourgh practice and skill, when mom buys a dangerous toy for her child. How many stories have we heard of mommy buying little Timmy a new Viper right when he get's his license and then killing himself/others? Or little Johnny who get's a new $2000 down hill bike and ends up ramming into others on a trail? Or the little girl that recieves a $50k horse and doesn't even know how to saddle it correctly? Trust me, a horse bucking around going nuts because the rider doesn't have a clue is extremely dangerous, and it ain't the horses fault. It becomes an extreme danger not only to themselves, but also to us those that have "earned" our paraphenilia not only in purchase but through training and dedication; no man is an island after all.

I feel that the parallel is there for kid that has never played paintball before and recieves a high performance gun, as well as equipment. He could easily hurt us, and himself by mishandling said articles, as well has shooting everything that moves, among other things. And yeah, I would be/am a 'bit upset when I see something that can seriously injure me have free reign.

JimmyBeam
02-20-2005, 05:05 PM
like he said, when you earn something it means more to you than something that was jsut handed to you. you'll take better care of it, becasue you know what it took to get it.

but theres nothing i like better than to see the look of the kid with the 1400 gun, who just got shot out by my mag.

LeatherPants
02-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Who cares. That's their life not yours. Stop being jealous. Just remember one the fad dies for them you can buy the marker from them or their parents at a great deal.

Nothing is better than a pissed parent selling gear for cheap realizing the time and money wasted on their kid.

Blazestorm
02-20-2005, 05:14 PM
I wish my dad would waste money on me... Before he'd give me money to play when I needed it (Otherwise I'd use money from holidays/birthdays/selling/trading) and now they've decided to change it to an allowance.

15 a week... is not enough to play paintball :(

I still think he thinks it's a fad... been playing for almost 3.5 years and it's still a fad? Then he wonders why I don't play as much anymore... He's like "You spent all that money on a new gun... why don't you play anymore?" ... "Maybe because I don't have money to play?"

He would have no trouble paying for paintball 2-3 times a week ($60-70 per outting) for years to come... but he doesn't want to because he does think it's just a hobby. Kinda like my older brother back in the Warhammer 40k days... all he would do... buy models... paint them (crappily)... one year for christmas his entire list was Warhammer 40k crap. The only things I got paintball related this year were some squeegies, videos, and lense's for my profilers.

Just ignore it, and honestly... if your parents were willing to support you completely in paintball... why wouldn't you? I know one kid who only has to spend his own money on upgrades for his gun, everything else is paid for. Am I jealous? Yes. Do I really care? No.

Lohman446
02-20-2005, 05:31 PM
IF YOU WANT TO GIVE YOUR SON ALL TOURNAMENT EQUIPMENT, I'M GOING TO TREAT HIM LIKE A TOURNAMENT PLAYER AND PLAY AS HARD AS I WOULD AGAINST ANYONE ELSE. IF I SHOOT YOUR SON 5 TIMES IN THE BACK THEN O WELL, HE NEEDS TO GET OFF THE FIELD AND QUIT PLAYING IF HE CANT HANDLE THE PAIN AND THE PRESSURE WITHOUT CRYING AND MAKING ME LOOK LIKE A JACKASS

If you shoot anyone in the back five times in rec day, especially at the fields I play at (3 break rule), especially with that attitude, you need to go home and learn sportsmanship

Chipper
02-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Most parents doen't like paintball.

But then there are the occasional few who try and look "cool" and get there kids high-end guns and really nice equipment. Those are the kids who are, in my opinion, a kind of poser.

Now, paintball is also expensive. That is another reason why these parents seem "cool" to their kids. I just bought myself, hopefully, a Phantom because PAINTBALL is EXPENSIVE. And after shooting my friends Phantom, I think it should be mandatory that people start off playing pump. You know how much better everyone would be if they did that?

quik
02-20-2005, 05:35 PM
It is pretty insane how much parents are willing to spend on their kids. I am loaned money for paintball from my mother and father, usually for a tournament, because I dont have enough money for paint. I always pay them back, no matter how long it may take though, so they usually dont care or mind doing it.

This isnt to say that I havent seen some outragous parents. Why at the field I played at a week ago, there was a group of 10 kids and mother who rented the field out for next weekend(birthday I'm assuming). The mother then proceeded to buy the son a intimidator, tank, and barrel kit. Although the kid spent a lot, he did have good taste in getting J&J kit ;).

VFX_Fenix
02-20-2005, 05:40 PM
I've seen it, I've been in the shop when it's happend. As for my feelings? Well, makes me wish I had parents like them :D

My hope is that the recipient will continue to play the game, there's a lot to be said about working your way up through the ranks of various styles of guns. There's also something to be said about heading right to the top of the pile. I'd hope that the parents would be willing enough to read the manual and figure out how to work the markers they buy for their kids.

If I were going to buy a shiney expensive electro for my kid, I'd detune the thing until good ol' progeny could actually play the game, then gradually retune the thing. There's nothing better than families that play together, unfortunately it can also cause some problems ;)

Lohman446
02-20-2005, 05:43 PM
FYI - I'm 26, I make pretty good money and can afford paintball. If I went to my parents and told them I needed some extra money to play paintball they would have no hesitation in giving it to me :D .

It should be noted however that I spend a lot of money on my kids, and a lot of money about every 10 months when my ex sues me for custody (pretty regularly). So paintball is my "selfish" thing... thats mine and I well... really would be a very different person wtihout it... I kind of need it.

octane2079
02-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Something like that happened at my field. An 11year old boy who had been playing for about two weeks with a spyder got a Freeflow Trauma Matrix w/68/4500 dynaflow and ripped victory boarded Halo. The worst thing was is that he thought it was broken when it wouldn't shoot without paint w/ eyes on. He got it for his birthday and his mom, dad, and uncle were there to watch him play. Well as it was walk on I wound up bunker tagging him about 4 times that day.

kurama
02-20-2005, 06:15 PM
Yeah, there are tons lately. It affects me, considering I wear dye gear. People generally treat me like an idiot until I explain to them that I am infact not. Some refs try to "walk me through" filling my tank and such and I have to explain to them that I am certified to fill a tank... So, I usually end up wearing a regular Tshirt instead of one of my jersies, so I'm not mistaken for an inexperienced player. It really blows.

Well, everything has its posers. Paintball is no exception.

AGD
02-20-2005, 06:19 PM
You should have got them started the right way and told them how to cheat.

AGD

Digits
02-20-2005, 06:21 PM
FYI - I'm 26, I make pretty good money and can afford paintball. If I went to my parents and told them I needed some extra money to play paintball they would have no hesitation in giving it to me :D .

It should be noted however that I spend a lot of money on my kids, and a lot of money about every 10 months when my ex sues me for custody (pretty regularly). So paintball is my "selfish" thing... thats mine and I well... really would be a very different person wtihout it... I kind of need it.

<3 ex's eh ;)

I honestly don't have a problem with it.. But someone made a good point, and it is scary that a 10 yeard old who can barely hold the marker has a gun thats capabable of bouncing out of control.. I could see problems happening :eek:

But around here it's not really comon at all.. There is one kid with a rich dad, but he's a really cool kid and isn't greedy or anything stupid..

PaintballSmurf13
02-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Happens ALL THE TIME around here... I don't really care much because I shoot an alias and have pretty much all the cool new paintball gear I need :headbang: ... but when/if it does bother you... grab an old spyder or something and gog the little rich punks :shooting: ... you'll feel a lot better and they'll understand that it isn't in the equipment...or they'll throw a fit and walk off the field all butt-hurt :tard: ....but really in the end i don't care... :dance:
-Ryan

Thordic
02-20-2005, 06:25 PM

So true. When I see a guy all decked out with a high-end marker, I'm much more likely to play harder against him, and send more shots his way. I'll shoot a noob in camo once or twice, but a guy in full Dye gear will get 5 or 6 shots to account for bounces and/or wipes.

joez
02-20-2005, 06:44 PM

AGD

So funny, yet so sad.

I used to see it all the time as well, and i just laughed. It was always funny.

slade
02-20-2005, 06:53 PM
i really dont care if kids show up at the field with all new equipment. $1000 for a new marker is a bit too much to spend on a new player in my opinion, but if the parents are willing to spend it, thats fine with me. its better than what happened with me. i wanted to play paintball since i was about 8 years old, but i was never able to because my parents thought it was going to be just a fad. then i finally played two years ago at a friends birthday party and completely love it. the only thing that really annoys me is if the players drop out of the sport after a few times playing, and after having their parents spend $1000+ on a marker, or players who blatantly cheat (im talking about the tourny player who was COMPLETELY in the open and took at least 6-8 balls from me TWICE, and wiped them all).

luke
02-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Why is it that those of us that grew up only having what WE EARNED from actually working, (I got my first job at 8 years old and have worked since) feel that those who come from well to do families have no business doing the things we do?

The kid that has a free ride shouldn’t be on the same field playing paintball as us? And because he is equipped like a player that has been playing for years, we should treat as a tournament player even though we know he’s a newbie? I’m sorry this is wrong, really wrong.

My parents never really had the money to give me anything of real value, but I never thought that people that were well to do were less than human and felt it was my right to treat them like crap because of it.

Just so every one knows, this is not directed at anyone in particular, I’ve been reading threads like this for years and frankly I don’t understand why these kids should be targeted just because their parents have money and can spend on their kids.

MAGS_R_COOL
02-20-2005, 07:56 PM
I agree with MOST of everythign said. I got a Dm5 for Christmas, but it wasnt just for Christmas. It was for my exams (grades were very high), birthday, and Christmas. For any sports I play my parents by me the gear, but for ANY continual costs, I must pay. I get anywhere from 6-8 people per game out. THis is not the best at my field, but I at least try and play hard. Basically, simplified what i am trying to say is all people that have nice gear that they didnt pay for dont exactly suck.

CKY_Alliance
02-20-2005, 08:13 PM
while reading this it made me think of the MTV show "my sweet sixteen".Now thats riddiculous. Atleast the parents are spending the money on paintball..something that last not a one night party.

sabrefanpc
02-20-2005, 08:33 PM
do i think the parents are spoiling the kids? sure. but then why do I care? My parents never spoiled me (FAR FROM IT) but I dont know why it bothers you that much if a kid gets spoiled... :confused:

minimag03
02-20-2005, 09:01 PM
When one of them sells their DM5 PM me. I'll give them $500 for one of them :) .

gc82000
02-20-2005, 09:11 PM
All you guys are just hating. I have seen those kids turn into some very good players. I know this one kid whose first gun was an A4 and he sucked with it. Now he practices with our team and is learning the basics tactics of being a backman, how to yell positions, kills, lane, sweet spot of the break and hold down a guy, and to tell others to move.

Any person with a new gun will not be perfect with it but give the kid time and he might learn to rock his gun. Oh yeah bunkering him is not a bad thing. It will just tell him that it is part of a game. If he can deal with it then cool, if not, get his gun cheap.

REDRT
02-20-2005, 09:20 PM

AGD

I don't really see any humor in that statement. A statement like that really lowers my opinion of you.

3 young kids with top end equipment just handed to them is my idea of great parenting, but I can see it happening. All parents wants there children to not only have nice things, quality things, that not only the kids like, but is perceived as going to hold up by the parents. Granted this is little over the top, but they must have money. When my brother and I were little are folks went out of their way at say Christmas time for us. Doing their best. We never got anything like that! They didn't have that kind of money. These people do. As it must seems normal in that income level to do that for their kids as it seems normal in a lower income level to do something different. These kids are only guilty of being from an aparently well off family. Paintball is a good time enjoyed by many people. Things like jealousy, being stuck up, pompous and arrogant really makes for the lowest form of players. Spoils the game.
Shame on anyone to go out of their way to target a player they feel isn't worthy of there equipment. Because of age, material wealth, playing skills or in this case lack of ect. :nono:

GT
02-20-2005, 09:21 PM
Just so every one knows, this is not directed at anyone in particular, I’ve been reading threads like this for years and frankly I don’t understand why these kids should be targeted just because their parents have money and can spend on their kids.

Very true,
This type of mentality doesnt affect kids only. How many of you have meet adults, early 20's with some nice stuff and assumed it came from some kind of family wealth? There are people who have great jobs and work dammed hard for it, but get paid alittle better than everyone else, doesnt mean they dont work hard, just means they do it better.

I started a new job a few years ago(I was 23 at the time), I had been looking at a miata for a play toy, with the new income it was going to be no big deal. I bought a beatiful blue 10AE maita, incredible car. One day I drove it into work, only on nice pretty days, and ran into one of the managers. she asked when I bought the car and had said something to the effect of "I didnt know you were from money?" I guess she didnt know what I made or was being silly, it still pissed me off, but it also made me aware of this underlying hatered (maybe to strong of a word) that people have when they meet other sucessful people and assume it comes from some other source.

That comment is still in the back of my mind. Why would you treat someone differently because of the gun they use or the close they wear? If you're a good 'baller you can tell how good someone is by the way they walk and handle themselves. It only takes a few steps to tell if someone knows what they are doing.

OT: I haved wanted an empire timmy since last years AO meet but for some reason I can't justify the expensive to mow the rec ballers, heck the 10bps from the mech mag does that:rofl:

gt

sabrefanpc
02-20-2005, 09:34 PM
I don't really see any humor in that statement. A statement like that really lowers my opinion of you.

he might have been being sarcastic...

CoolHand
02-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Why is it that those of us that grew up only having what WE EARNED from actually working, (I got my first job at 8 years old and have worked since) feel that those who come from well to do families have no business doing the things we do?

The kid that has a free ride shouldn’t be on the same field playing paintball as us? And because he is equipped like a player that has been playing for years, we should treat as a tournament player even though we know he’s a newbie? I’m sorry this is wrong, really wrong.

My parents never really had the money to give me anything of real value, but I never thought that people that were well to do were less than human and felt it was my right to treat them like crap because of it.

I once again find myself quoting this man for the truth in his statement.

You sir, are wise beyond your years. :hail:

If a kid had a marker which he is not fully able to take advatage of, you have two choices when playing them:

1) Laugh at their lack of skill/experience, and bunker them repeatedly so they "learn their place"

OR

2) Help them reach their potential.

It would be best if the parents were there doing this, but not everyone is good at everything. Help them out, give them pointers, maybe a little encouragement when they get it right, most importantly ---> be polite while doing so.

There is a huge turnaround in this sport (meaning that kids come, play, and move on very quickly). It seems to me that since most of the old school guys have been run off, the inmates are running the asylum. No one is exactly sure of how things need to be done, so everyone has to learn from trial and error. This leads to a kinda haphazard distribution of experience, and the new teaching the newer. I have seen this play out in so many other environments.

The result, being that whatever info the current generation has, is pass on poorly (if at all) to the next, and so on and so forth, until the message is so garbled that no one really understands. I think we've reached this point in PB. The solution? The current crop needs to take what they have learned, pass it on effectively to the next. Put simply, the guys who have the most experience need to take the time to help the new guys. All it takes is one guy on one day to set the precendent. Then that kid will be more likely to help instead of belittle, and so on. Just taking the time to give someone a polite pointer may take months off of their learning curve, and possibly help them stay an active player (at least a little longer).

I go out of my way when at the field to help whenever I can. Be it teching markers, give tips when it seems appropriate, or just standing up for the Noobzorz when some 14 yr old "pro" is bashing on them.

I have met some really cool people paintballing, but I have also met some really foul mouthed punks with bad attitudes as well.

See that you all fall with the former, rather than the latter . . . . . . .

tha flynnrod
02-20-2005, 10:41 PM
If you shoot anyone in the back five times in rec day, especially at the fields I play at (3 break rule), especially with that attitude, you need to go home and learn sportsmanship

umm... how are you going to stop a whole stream of paint mid air just to make sure only 1 of the 10 balls or so flying his way is going to hit him?

are you playing with a pump or are you just shy with the trigger??? :rolleyes:

CoolHand
02-20-2005, 10:58 PM
umm... how are you going to stop a whole stream of paint mid air just to make sure only 1 of the 10 balls or so flying his way is going to hit him?

If you put 10 balls on someone in a bunker move (IE you ran up and shot them in the back 10 times from point blank range), you need to back up and think about what you are doing. Accidental bonus balls from range are one thing, but its not like that two foot distance is even big enough for you to have 10 balls in the air.

Keep that kind of thing going, one day you will bonus ball the wrong fellow, and he will make you eat your marker. :wow: :nono:

txaggie08
02-20-2005, 11:03 PM
its not the ones with expensive guns who bother me, its the little punks that piss me off. thats what drove me out of paintball last time. The little "look at me i spend all my mommy and daddy's money, and dont have to d anything to earn it". i hate the arrogant little so and so's who do that. ive helped many kids get up and running with expensive markers they got for bday or xmas. im happy to help them and im glad for them. but if your anal about it im not only not going to help you, im going to give you a close range attitude adjustment. I dont care if the kid is ten(although giving a kid that young a 1k+ marker is a little overkill) or 16, if he will come on the field understanding he is not special cause his mom and dad have big $$, hes fine with me. ill be happy to help the kid(although im not a godly player....). but dont come on a field telling me how much you know and how big and bad you are unless you got the skill to back it up. This is a sport you have to go into being willing to learn, cause your going to. either from a more experienced player or from his paintballs....... :shooting:

txaggie08
02-20-2005, 11:05 PM
got a good point about the paint string. if i fire fifteen balls at you from across the field, sorry if they all hit but i fired with the idea they all wouldnt. if i shoot you fifteen times at close range.......well i used to know a ref who had a solution for that. he gave the other guy an electro on full auto, and you a five second head start.......

Carbon
02-20-2005, 11:18 PM

Word.

jewie27
02-21-2005, 12:20 AM
Well it sure must be nice to play for five bucks. Here in CA, it's about $25 for admission.

The kids are just flat out spoiled. It teaches them that money just grows on trees. They don't know that someone has to work for that money. The more the mother buys them gear, the more they are going to want it. What's the point of giving a 13 year old a $1400 gun when they can't even take care of it.

As for the 8 year old, I thought you had to be at least 10 years old to even be on a paintball field. That's how it is over here. How can an 8 year old even handle a fully loaded A5 anyways??? What does an 8 year old know about paintball safety? They don't even make paintball masks for kids of that age, which I believe is very dangerous.

germanman
02-21-2005, 01:12 AM
HELL, I've been playing for 4 and a half years, got my E-Mag 6 months ago and put down 400 for it. I'm 16, JUST got a pair of actual paintball pants (I played in FLECTAR German camo) and I thought I felt unworthy to get such a great marker. Not to mention I go through 1 case of paint a day at most.
I wish I was born earlier just so I could feel the rush of playing for skill, NOT for the gear you had. Damn rich kids.

But hell, now that I've been playing for a while, I feel I'm growing into my E-Mag. I'm getting much better, can hold my own almost anywhere, and to be honest, I enjoy nailing somebody who spent 3 pods of paint on me with 3 shots.

UpliftedApe
02-21-2005, 01:43 AM
Let me ask this, don't we want paintball to grow and for people to buy every gun but an automag for little Tommy or Steve so lest he be embaassed when he is the one kid on the block with his 98, as opposed to a Halo B, centerflag 68/4500 and DM5/timmy/shocker/viking or what have you. Personnaly I love these little fellows who have played once, I personally think everyone who buys that over priced DYE crap is quiet amusing running around, or more importantly sitting in the back bunker hoping to have the elves bring that miricale long ball for elminations. These fellows are great, not only can they not reach the fill station, or properly hook the hose for a very potentially dangerous situation, they very rarely understand what si going on in any given game. Now I respect the people who cammo up, have their ragged out, shredded, beat up A5's, who break for the 50 off the bat, nail about 4 guys in the process and fly up the snake like a made rabbit. I have my E-mag, but do you know who I hang out with? The ref's in their stupid DYE pants and the rest of the morons who spent way too much on the game, why? Cammo is just outta style my friends. SO I wear my favorite heavy metal band shirt and a cheap pair of nylon pants I found at a discount seller we have in town for $4. Who in their right mind would abuse $90 pants? Haven't you noticed all thsoe ripped out, shredded knees? I play in pair of comfy ugly *** white tennis shoes, these ugly *** really comfy pants, and a cheap shirt I typically pant houses in, (i.e. it's a godsmack shirt I like the irony on it) Does everyone under estimate me? Yes, because mags are obviously slow and out dated and you know I mean an E-mag I mean jeez I didn't know AGD even made an electro. Yes the last time I played a ref told me this, he then asked where he could purchase one, because they look "bad ***", and you know it's a funny thing about that every time I playa dn own with my buddy who also has an E-mag they ask him the same, and my GF who plays with ULE, and our other friend who uses my buddies tacone, now comes the fun part. How would you respond when a group of ref's and these midget players come up and ask you, how does, and I am not kidding you guys, says " How does this gun CHEAT, that was just awesome with that 5+ or some elims". Seriously everytime now when we play and have an exceptional round, I am not claiming consistency mind you, but hey every dog has his round eh? Our groups is asked over and over how does that gun cheat!

Ohh getting back to the point I worked my *** off at Lowes with my buddy to buy my equipment to own the little children, old or young. It doesn't just take a mommy or daddy with a loose wallet and a lot of love to blow that kind of money, but any naive fellow pushed with a sufficient amount of peer pressure i.e. uniformed refs that think anything BL, or ICD can make is gods gift to paintball.

The players makes paintball fun, not the marker, that why I like AO, NOT pbnation.

sorry about the rambling.

Gentlemen and Ladies START YOUR FLAMING!

purple
02-21-2005, 01:49 AM
i agree with ape, mostly because i was the buddy who got him the job at lowe's, i still think of the miles of shopping carts we pushed all over hell and god's creation just to get a taste of sweet paintball candy. Just thinking of the TONS of various cements/tiles/various stuff at lowes into people who looked down on us for being loaders, just motivates me to take the snake and rip faces off
note(he was a physics undergrad, i was a electrical engineering undergrad, having someone explaid polymer ladders to us was one of the more amusing experiences)
:rolleyes:

Purple out

Arrival
02-21-2005, 01:51 AM
It almost seems like some people here are a bit too confident in thier ability to shoot out new players that may own expensive gear and seem to be relatively young. It's really thier choice on what they spend on thier equipment; even if they're not serious about paintball. Same thing goes for thier parents; it's thier choice. Even if they do have a DM5, an Angel, or whatever may it may be, I don't see the need to put 5-6 rounds in them in a bunkering move, and play hard enough to the point of where thier parents will get ****ed off at you.

I wouldn't brag about taking out some people who are new to the sport, even if they do have high-end markers. I'd rather get my *** kicked repeatedly by a pro player rather than not get hit out once all day and be paired with a bunch of new kids. When you get your *** kicked, you tend to learn more, rather than degressing and softening up. When you learn more and more and start getting the better of respected players who are a challenge to play; that's when you start to get bragging rights. But, of course, too much bragging will get you deemed an ***hole; so let's not waste those rights on some kids who are new to the sport.

jewie27
02-21-2005, 02:49 AM
HELL, I've been playing for 4 and a half years, got my E-Mag 6 months ago and put down 400 for it. I'm 16, JUST got a pair of actual paintball pants (I played in FLECTAR German camo) and I thought I felt unworthy to get such a great marker. Not to mention I go through 1 case of paint a day at most.
I wish I was born earlier just so I could feel the rush of playing for skill, NOT for the gear you had. Damn rich kids.

But hell, now that I've been playing for a while, I feel I'm growing into my E-Mag. I'm getting much better, can hold my own almost anywhere, and to be honest, I enjoy nailing somebody who spent 3 pods of paint on me with 3 shots.

see the good thing is that you actually put down your own money for a marker. not like these kids who just get one outta thin air.

Lohman446
02-21-2005, 07:02 AM

What are the situations that you are shooting someone in the back? If you cannot control your marker than either it or you have no place on the field, especially during rec day.

TheBigRaguPB4L
02-21-2005, 09:56 AM
So many people i wanted to quote, but that would just take to long so i'll just throw my 2 cents in.

There is nothing wrong with parents spending x amount of dollars on their kids to play a sport. If people are well off, they're going to provide for their family. If money isn't an issue, they're going to buy the best. Ralph Loren and Tommy Hilfiger are around for a reason too. Anybody can shop at k-mart and wal-mart for clothes, but they can afford designer brands so that's where they go, same situation.

However, paintball is a dangerous sport. There are safety precautions in our sport for a reason. A mishandled paintball gun can be very dangerous. When you throw a 1200+ marker in the hand of uneducated 12 year old that whined his way into the sport, it shouldn't be allowed. It has nothing to do with jealousy or envy. I'm not saying that i don't feel those things. I am slightly jealous of not having all the guns that i want while working hard to acquire them. Then i have to see some kid that didn't deserve it get everything just because that's what he wanted that week. That's life and i get over it very quickly. My problem lies in the parents. They take little to no responsibility in teaching themselves and their children the dangers and precautions of the sport. Then when something goes wrong because an 8 year old didn't put his barrel condom on after the game ended, we're to blame. Then they go back and get a lawyer and file lawsuits and talk to congressmen to get laws passed to restrict our sport even further. Same thing happens with music and video games. We pay because of some parents laziness and inability to be a responsible parent and keep up with educating themselves on the intricacies on thier childrens' hobby.

Someone said something about "My Super Sweet 16". These are the kind of kids that are getting the $2000+ setup deckout in $500 DYE apparel. You think these spoiled little rich brats really give a .... about sportsmanship and a well played game. "This is what i want, give it to me now". You think they're going to be happy losing all the time especially with their Empire Timmy with the Halo and 45/45 Stubby. They have the best setup on the field for the first time playing and you think they want to lose? They're either going to quit or win by any means necessary. Yeah that's the kind of kids i want to play with.

I'm not saying this is the case 100% of the time. But 9 times out of 10, i'll bet it is. This is what is ruining our sport IMO. Kids' attitude are bad from the start and only get worse. I'm sure there are people with money that earn it or may know the value of a dollar. I've met one. She's 29 and she works as a manager at a restaurant. I've met many more on the other side of the fence. It's not just paintball, it's our country as a whole. irresponsible parents raising irresponsible children. Money or no money, i keep seeing it getting worse and worse.

I might have missed a few things i wanted to say. I'll add more if i remember them later. Thank you for your time. Just the misguided views of some guy that's irrelevant to everyone.

Evil Bob
02-21-2005, 10:47 AM
This is a common occurance around the nor cal bay area, I used to see lost of kids come in with brand spanking new gear, play one day, then sell the gear because they didn't have a good time. I just have to shake my head at the "I want the best for my kids and I dont care how much it costs" mentality.

A little background info about me: I went to Los Gatos High School (south bay area, silicon valley, Calif) in 80-84. I was one of the poor kids who drove a beat up Datsun pickup. I had friends who drove Mercs, Porsches, BMW's, trans ams, lamburghini's, and ferrarris (one of which went through 3 ferrarris in 2 years, usually driving too fast when the road was wet). That used to eat at some of my other friends who were, like me, monetarily challenged, they were so jealous of the rich kids. One of my friends had such a problem with his jealousy that he ended up getting hooked on some heavy drugs and being committed before we graduated. I never had a problem with it, I just saw it as being a big part of life, which we all know full well aint fair, some peeps got more money, some peeps got less, no biggie, thats just how it goes.

Its like that in all facets of life. I saw kids in tennis who had never played before coming in with $1200 rackets that they parents got them just for school. They'd hit them on the ground trying to return balls, throw them on the ground when they got frustrated, really beat them up, it was such a waste. If the parents had any common sense, they would have gotten the kids a decent starter racket until they could play and wouldn't beat up the rediculasly expensive one.

I do exactly that with my kids when they started playing paintball, I didn't give them the very best stuff to start with, and I explained to them the reason why they weren't getting the very best. "You will learn how to play with this gear first, once you can demonstrate to me that you can play well and not beat the crap out of your gear, then you'll be ready for the better stuff." So my kids started off with some of my old automags lvl 7's, my oldest played with that lvl 7 classic for 2 years, then moved up an RT which he played with for 2 more years, he had an xmag up until this last year, he sold it to buy a drum kit.

I'll do the exact same thing when he starts driving this year, we'll goto the auto auction and buy a POS that runs and that I wont mind gets bumped into trash cans and deer and guard rails and old ladies crossing the street. Once he's got some solid driving experience under his belt and can demonstrate that he's capable of driving responcibly, then he'll get something better.

-Evil Bob

JAM
02-21-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm jealous of those kids...
it's all in their attitudes- just getting all the gear doesn't make you spoiled. if the kid's a good kid, then more power to them.

Frankly, why should i care? Why should it affect me and how much i enjoy the game? I say let everyone buy whatever they can- make money for the industry.

lots of times I don't play enough to justify a $200 gun. And most of the time when i really sit down and think about it, how can i justify spending more than $1000 on a TOY? (I have... many times).

I do wish i was "spoiled" in my early playing days, that would have been great to have some nice gear, but I don't tink it would have made me a punk.

JAM
02-21-2005, 11:41 AM
I do exactly that with my kids when they started playing paintball, I didn't give them the very best stuff to start with, and I explained to them the reason why they weren't getting the very best. "You will learn how to play with this gear first, once you can demonstrate to me that you can play well and not beat the crap out of your gear, then you'll be ready for the better stuff." So my kids started off with some of my old automags lvl 7's, my oldest played with that lvl 7 classic for 2 years, then moved up an RT which he played with for 2 more years, he had an xmag up until this last year, he sold it to buy a drum kit.

I'll do the exact same thing when he starts driving this year, we'll goto the auto auction and buy a POS that runs and that I wont mind gets bumped into trash cans and deer and guard rails and old ladies crossing the street. Once he's got some solid driving experience under his belt and can demonstrate that he's capable of driving responcibly, then he'll get something better.

-Evil Bob

I like the way you handle it EB, that's how I would do it. BUT, I don't think we should be automatically outraged at kids whose parents don't mind buying them awesome gear to start.
-j

SlartyBartFast
02-21-2005, 11:49 AM
The problem isn't just kids.

I played last with a group that has a "decent" deal with the local field. While it's normaly FPO (at $200 a case), they are allowed to bring their own paint (and have a deal for 40$ a case).

So, the "head" guy is decked out in Dye gear and shooting some flash electro or other as are a number of the others.

I'm dressed in old clothes, the overalls from the field, and shooting a rental Tippmann 98.

Trading shots the decked out guy starts screaming "YOU'RE OUT! YOU'RE OUT! Get off the field!!" Yes he had hit me several times, but all bounced. WHen one did break I left the field and was bonusballed several times by a couple on the other team.

THEN, I, my friend, and the field staff had to endure whining about the rules about having to have a break aren't right....

Maturity has nothing to do with age or the price of your toys....

As for the example at hand

a.) Their mother had probably spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $4,000+ on the three of them for Christmas (and that's probably just for paintball related stuff)
b.) Two of them had never played before and
c.) That they saw nothing wrong with this,

A> Luck them. If that's a complaint, you're just jealous.
B> What does that have to do with anything? Just means that the more seasoned players should be sportsman-like and introduce them to the game.
C> That's because there WAS nothing wrong.

C_22
02-21-2005, 12:08 PM
It's not a bad thing, depending how you look at it.
Down here we have that too and it's NOT that bad. Most of those people, not just kids but your regular posser, eventualy go back to play with their X-boxes or whatever and quit PB; thus... you have cheaper high end guns in the market. Guns that have been used a couple of times which cost 20% - 30% less and are still in mint conditions. It's never the guns fault; blame it on the owner. And while I agree parents should do more research (a lot more) on what they are buying for their kids, so should the people that sell them (sometimes they are to blame as well).

SlartyBartFast
02-21-2005, 12:15 PM
And while I agree parents should do more research (a lot more) on what they are buying for their kids, so should the people that sell them (sometimes they are to blame as well).

THe parents want to buy their kid good equipment and have the money to spend. What's the complaint? The parent earned the money and has the right to spend it as they see fit.

As there is no evidence that there was an attitude problem on the part of these kids I fail to see what the issue is. Spoilt brats and immature players can have the best equipment on the field or have hand-me-down Syders.

And what blames does the saleperson deserve? :tard: They just managed to sell a trunk full of equipment. Why should they not sell it? "Oh, I'm sorry, your children are too young and buying them this equipment will spoil them..." :rofl:

How many Xboxes and computers, and hockey equipment and all sorts of other toys wouldn't be sold if retailers were dumb enough to NOT sell them if it might "spoil" the kids.

Chris42050
02-21-2005, 05:06 PM
THe parents want to buy their kid good equipment and have the money to spend. What's the complaint? The parent earned the money and has the right to spend it as they see fit.

As there is no evidence that there was an attitude problem on the part of these kids I fail to see what the issue is. Spoilt brats and immature players can have the best equipment on the field or have hand-me-down Syders.

And what blames does the saleperson deserve? :tard: They just managed to sell a trunk full of equipment. Why should they not sell it? "Oh, I'm sorry, your children are too young and buying them this equipment will spoil them..." :rofl:

How many Xboxes and computers, and hockey equipment and all sorts of other toys wouldn't be sold if retailers were dumb enough to NOT sell them if it might "spoil" the kids.
I have no problem with a kid or new player starting out with say the best mask. But, I dont think they should start out with a gun that they dont know how to handle properly. It's a safety issue when u give a 10 year old a top of the line electro that shoots very fast and has a hair trigger.
I think what C_22 was trying to say is that maybe the salesman should explain to the parents buying these guns for thier kids more about the safety issues and how fast and easy these guns shoot. He could potentially lose a sale so I see why they dont always do this.

sabrefanpc
02-21-2005, 05:13 PM
my local shop, hangin loose, gives new kids a safety lecture of sorts whenever they buy any marker. had to wait for him to finish one once, and listened in. very thougoh. raised my opinion of the store.

SlartyBartFast
02-21-2005, 05:32 PM
But, I dont think they should start out with a gun that they dont know how to handle properly.

But that's just as true for a Splatmaster or Nelspot as todays most "advanced" electronic marker.

It's a safety issue when u give a 10 year old a top of the line electro that shoots very fast and has a hair trigger.

No. You could say it's a safety issue putting a device that fires projectiles of any sort into the hands of a 10 year old. And even then I take issue with that statement.

Really, it's a safety issue when you put a device that fires projectiles of any sort into the hands of an inexperienced person.

I don't question that there's a need for basic training for new players. However I think the responsibility is with primarily with the manufacturers, then field owners and referees, then fellow players.

Honestly now, how much difference is there learning the safe use of a 100$ Walmart marker and a 2000$ "top-of-the-line" marker? Considering the 10 year-olds probably could whip the average "older" players back-sides in any given video game, I doubt that any worries of the "hair trigger" really merit consideration.

Put the jelousy (if they have 200$ markers) or snobbery (if they're carrying 100$ Walmart specials) aside and teach the new players (regardless of their age, 10 or 40 makes no difference). If they prove to be too immature or arrogant to learn or act appropriately, then complain.

C_22
02-21-2005, 06:32 PM
I have no problem with a kid or new player starting out with say the best mask. But, I dont think they should start out with a gun that they dont know how to handle properly. It's a safety issue when u give a 10 year old a top of the line electro that shoots very fast and has a hair trigger.
I think what C_22 was trying to say is that maybe the salesman should explain to the parents buying these guns for thier kids more about the safety issues and how fast and easy these guns shoot. He could potentially lose a sale so I see why they dont always do this.

Exactly! One of my points was that as a salesperson, you are in part responsible for what you are selling, especially when dealing with goods that are NOT toys (ie.- a paintball marker). I’m not blaming the salesperson entirely; I just feel they should be more client oriented when dealing with PB goods ‘n gear when a parent shows up to their store and asks for a high end marker. While safety is a basic, part of the message is that a lot of those players (not just kids) end up not liking PB at all and end up quitting and selling their stuff (which is why I mentioned that you can get some great deals in second hand markers, at least down here).

TeamNausea
02-21-2005, 06:32 PM
There is nothing wrong with new players with rich parents.... The only time it gets bad is when those rich noobs try to put everyone else around them down just because they have 2000+ in gear.

SlartyBartFast
02-22-2005, 09:46 AM
I just feel they should be more client oriented when dealing with PB goods ‘n gear when a parent shows up to their store and asks for a high end marker. While safety is a basic, part of the message is that a lot of those players (not just kids) end up not liking PB at all and end up quitting and selling their stuff (which is why I mentioned that you can get some great deals in second hand markers, at least down here).

But what's wrong? The new players probably won't like paintball whther they buy a cheap or expensive marker first.

The only thing the salesperson has to care about (if anything) is that the person buying the products seem responsible. And if they know it's for kids, they should offer to give a quick lesson.

But what's wrong if they sell all the stuff later. That's a GOOD thing. More cheap markers for the rest of us!

can'tthink of1
02-22-2005, 04:43 PM
It doesn't matter if a new player has a nice marker and gear. Paintball is all about fun, simp;e as that. Also, if someone has the money, why not lavish their children? I commend the maker of this thread for helping them out, I wish there was more people like you in this world.

Granted, the kids were inexperienced, and didn't know squat, but they didn't seem immature and ignorant at all. There are some safety concerns, but for the main part I don't see any real problems. Hell, even experienced players can have a dangerously bouncy marker.

barberjohn
02-22-2005, 07:25 PM
i live in the same city as these kids and have played with them on several occasions. i must admit, they are a bit spoiled, but the eldest and middle aged ones are not too bad, and i was suprised the first time i played with them (them shooting an ANS cocker and A-5 at that time). yet the eldest did want to get more into the sport, and has gotten a paintball "club" up, and, from what i hear, plays pretty regularly. really the only thing that has kept me from just totally calling these kids little spoiled brats is that the eldest did attempt to buy a dm4 a few weeks before christmas. he did save up about half the money to pay for it, and the other $600 was going to be part of his xmas present. well, he bought it off ebay, and got scammed for around $1200 of his money and his parents. so i believe it has a bit of sympathy from the parents as well as just wanting thier kids to have a "good time". i know i used to be just like that, getting an ir3 when they were the shiznizzle and at the early age of around 14 (pretty young for an at that time 1200 gun), so i am not really holding their want for the best gun out there against them. i still know i can beat them with my $500 angel, and thats all that matters to me.

Evil Bob
02-23-2005, 01:45 PM
There is nothing wrong with new players with rich parents.... The only time it gets bad is when those rich noobs try to put everyone else around them down just because they have 2000+ in gear.

Give that man a cigar! That's where most people have a problem with the filthy rich, its the elitist arrogant snobbery "I'm better then you because I have money" attitude. Sadly, that type of behavior is usually a learned trait, the kids dont come up with it all by their selves, they usually learn it from their parents.

Having been raised and worked in and around silicon valley I have had the opportunity to bump shoulders with many of the rich and powerful. To put it in perspective, I cleared $140k in 2003, but sadly in calif with its over inflated economy, that's just barely above the poverty level, you cant even afford to buy a house on that kind of income unless you want to live several hours away and commute.

Some of the high tech entrepenuers I met were humble, others were so arrogant you wanted to run them down in the parking lot when it was dark and you had 2 tons of aluminum and steel protecting you. Usually those who worked their way up into the filthy rich category through years of hard work were the humble ones and those who typically inherited their wealth at an early age tended to be the arrogant ones.

There is alot to be said of spoiling children and what it does to their psychological developement. I can spoil my children if I so desire but I choose not to, life has taught me that my kids will appreciate and care alot more for something they work hard for then for something that is just outright given to them.

-Evil Bob

tyrion2323
02-23-2005, 02:11 PM
Man, I hate these whiney posts..

Some kids get nice gear. Doesn't make them spoiled. Doesn't make them elitests. I knew a kid who was probably 11 years old. He had a full set of DYE, a dm4, a freeflow ebladed, and an impulse. His mom had bought it all for him, and she had a cocker as well. It turns out that this kid's father ditched them when he was young and the poor kid gets picked on at school. His mom rarely plays; she bought him the stuff and goes and watches him play every week. Sure, he's shy, but it doesn't make him spoiled or elitest. (plus, the mom buys pizza for us every week!!!)

I'm just saying, don't complain about people unless you know them. Unless someone's getting up in your face, taunting others, or acting like a jerk, he has EVERY right to be there. Years played DOES NOT give you precedence over a new player. ("you" = rhetorical)

Dryden
02-23-2005, 03:47 PM

Amen.

I dunno, I guess I picture these parents rationalize these purchases as an investment in their children's future. Some parents enroll their children in "everyone plays" youth sports, other parents shell out top dollar to send their rugrats to the most exclusive sports camps and leagues available. Some parents help their kids pick out a used student instrument at a pawn shop and encourage them to enroll in the school band, other parents buy their kids top of the line musical gear and find personal instructors. To each their own. As long as the parents are encouraging good activities for their children to participate in after school and the kids are having fun, so what?

There's no shame in spoiling your child and helping them experience everything there is out there that's healthy and fun to do, and I think that is especially true with team sports. If these kids ultimately fail to respect the value of their parents hard work and generosity, that's their problem and their parents' failure, not mine to worry about.

OmniDynmc
02-23-2005, 04:13 PM
For me and those who I play with, we tend to welcome any newbies, spoiled, or not. We play rec ball so the situation is slightly different then most here who play speedball, but, the more people on the field to us the more targets we have to shoot. It doesn't matter to me if they are dressed up like a clown in Dye gear or have a Tipman or top-of-the-line Angel. Either way they are fun to shoot out, and the more targets we have to shoot out whether hard or not, the better the day is.

There are always the proud and protective parent that don't understand the rules of the game and the responbility and liability you take on as a player on the field. But I have met adults that get just as upset when you bunker them mainly because you suprised the hell out of them, and because it hurt like hell. Suck it up, if you can't take the heat go back to laser tag.

Everyone is carrying a loaded marker whether they are 10 or 80; they are a threat to my survival in the game. If you're not on my team and I have a shot, I don't care what your age is, I'm going to take it. That doesn't mean I have to fire 5 at close range, but I'm going to make sure with at least one hit that you are out. :)

Greg

kurama
02-23-2005, 04:37 PM
Well, I don't hate kids with good gear. I'm a kid and I have good gear...

I dislike people who cannot handle all the gear they have. If their rich parent buys them a dm5, power to them. If they are afraid/suck/don;t know how to maintain the marker, I dislike them because they make people like me who are young with good gear look bad. I work for most of my gear and my parents pay for paint. That's as spoiled as I'll let myself become. If the person is a 10 year old with a dm5, but good, power to him. I know younbg players who are great and young players who are afraid of getting hit. I take it on a person-to-person basis :cool:

magsown
02-23-2005, 09:22 PM
Yep I have seen many kids with thousands of dollors of gear... I own em every time I play :shooting: Im 14 and I have to buy all my own stuff if I want to play. I have saved enough to have a nice mag probably $500 yep saved it all up. I dont know how someone can buy their 6year old a $1400 in guns and gear and after they get hit a few times they go and cry and never play ever again. Then some dad yells at me for shooting him. Well thats dumb the point of the game is to shoot the other guy. if your kid cant take being shot then why is he playing? Then most of the Pro or so called pro team that plays at the local feild got owned by me and little kid with a spider. then after the game they where wondering how they where beat when they have angles and shockers fireing 15+ bps.

Automaggot68
02-24-2005, 01:24 AM
The problem isn't just kids.

I played last with a group that has a "decent" deal with the local field. While it's normaly FPO (at $200 a case), they are allowed to bring their own paint (and have a deal for 40$ a case).

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, $200 a CASE?

REDRT
02-24-2005, 01:30 AM

Canadian, but still high!

Automaggot68
02-24-2005, 01:36 AM
Canadian, but still high!
Whoa. I need some SLEEP.
Thanks for the clarification man.

REDRT
02-24-2005, 01:41 AM
Whoa. I need some SLEEP.
Thanks for the clarification man.

No Prob ;)

kayvon
02-24-2005, 10:53 AM
yeah i just dont get it theese new kids get nice guns and that makes them feel like they are better then me with my mag
i had to pay for everything in paintball except the Brass Eagle Stingray my parentbought me 6 years ago
like theres this kid at a local field we go to who his parents bought him a shocker w/nerve board and i bunker him like every game cause our team was dominating thiers and then one game he is the last one left and i do a run-by and he is reloading and shooting so natuarly i keep shooting to, then after he is called out he yells at me for overshooting and then he shoots me four times across the chest . so i get realy pissed and im about to beat the everloving crap out of him when my brother holds me back and we just exchange some "friendly" yells. it was pretty funny later that day when we all looked back at after the kid left (nobody reallly likes that kid, hes got an attitude problem and one of these days i just might fix it for him)
any ways im fourteen and have had to pay for everything myself from money i get by mowing lawns and cleaning our rental properties
aMy family isnt poor (everyone at scholl calls us rich) but my parents long ago even when i was real young had me paying for stuff i wanted just to teach me how to handle my own money better and so if i wanteed something i learned howto save
i am grateful for this because i get to spend my money how i want and i get paid for doing stuff and when i grow up i will be ahead of the other kids cause i know how to handle my own money

just my two cents :bounce:

mike19087
02-24-2005, 11:20 AM
my first gun was a brass eagle stingray 2 which i had to pay for and i remember that the first time i went to a field after i had practiced in the woods around my house there were kids like that and i wooped there asses they couldnt shoot for **** it was hilarious. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

slade
02-24-2005, 12:35 PM
yeah i just dont get it theese new kids get nice guns and that makes them feel like they are better then me with my mag
i had to pay for everything in paintball except the Brass Eagle Stingray my parentbought me 6 years ago
like theres this kid at a local field we go to who his parents bought him a shocker w/nerve board and i bunker him like every game cause our team was dominating thiers and then one game he is the last one left and i do a run-by and he is reloading and shooting so natuarly i keep shooting to, then after he is called out he yells at me for overshooting and then he shoots me four times across the chest . so i get realy pissed and im about to beat the everloving crap out of him when my brother holds me back and we just exchange some "friendly" yells. it was pretty funny later that day when we all looked back at after the kid left (nobody reallly likes that kid, hes got an attitude problem and one of these days i just might fix it for him)
any ways im fourteen and have had to pay for everything myself from money i get by mowing lawns and cleaning our rental properties
aMy family isnt poor (everyone at scholl calls us rich) but my parents long ago even when i was real young had me paying for stuff i wanted just to teach me how to handle my own money better and so if i wanteed something i learned howto save
i am grateful for this because i get to spend my money how i want and i get paid for doing stuff and when i grow up i will be ahead of the other kids cause i know how to handle my own money

just my two cents :bounce:
Is your keyboard broken? Im having trouble finding punctuation in there. Sorry I know you're new to the forum, but please try to make your posts legible.

mercury
02-24-2005, 02:01 PM

LMAO...first time I've seen it put like that. Very funny! :rofl:

SlartyBartFast
02-24-2005, 03:34 PM
http://www.arnoldpaintball.com/site/english/prices.html

• 2000 balls : 210.00$
Same price at the indoor and the outdoor place. No discount on field fees if you have your own gear. :wow:

Any wonder I don't play much? :(

Lohman446
02-24-2005, 03:49 PM
Yep I have seen many kids with thousands of dollors of gear... I own em every time I play :shooting:

Yeh, I'm picking on you, but reading this post you would get the feeling that NOONE with a marker that was more than $500 (unless its a mag) has any clue how to play.

:rolleyes: Come one guys... yes there are people (like me) who have way more marker than our ability... but a few of those guys running around with Shockers/Angels/Trixxes, etc actually do know how to play.

Edit: PS... not to single you out, yours was just convenient.. everyone in this post seems to think this

magsown
02-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Yep I know that some people with good guns and gear do know how to play just not most of the people where I live. The only paintball store left near where I live only has like at any time the only guns for sale are a few tippmans the rare spider and every kind of gun that is at least $900. If i want something for my mag I have to have it special orderd or buy online.

matt-o
02-24-2005, 05:22 PM

honestly most of the kids like the ones were talkign about piss the heck out of me. ive worked to make the money for all of my guns (stingray 2, spyder amg, angel speed) except my old mag which i got from my brother when he quit playing. i hate it when these kids with dm5's come up to me asking why i would have ever bought something with goo on it (talking about the eye job on my angel). they think that because they have a better gun they are somehow smarter. im sure they could have bought just as cheap a gun but had to go for the high end 1400 gun and new gear. then they ask me why i would ever play in a poncho and blue jeans when there are pants and jerseys specifically for paintball. these kids think they are better than me because they have more expensive stuff, even though they have no skill and dont know a thing about their guns. i have met some that were really nice and can take some tips but for the most part they are spoiled little brats.

ascetic1
02-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Well...after taking the time to review ALL of your opinions, let me add mine..
First of all, from what i have gathered all i see is jealousy towards new players..mind you, im sure you ALL were new at one point in time, you dont just come into the sport..so what they have expensive gear? from my viewpoint they are set for the continuance of their intrest in the sport, if not then you get some great second hand stuff :D anyway, the fact of the matter is that some of you cant stand the fact that people will have better things than you, and if they worked for it, dont trash them for what they have..true that kids dont pay for this, but some of you who are still 13-17 still dont pay for your stuff unless you get off your rears and get a job, then brag about what you have.. and you dont know if their parents bought them that gear, so unless you actually first hand witnessed it, dont say a word! i personally can buy 6 grand worth of equipment at any given time, but that is going towards a car, and yes i worked for every damn penny.... so all in all, unless there is un-necessary arrogance from these kids directed towards you personally, id just keep my distance and just nail them on the field...look you dont even have to say a word :)

gc82000
02-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Man, I hate these whiney posts..

i agree :sleeping:

paint magnet
02-24-2005, 08:22 PM
What does an 8 year old know about paintball safety? They don't even make paintball masks for kids of that age, which I believe is very dangerous.

Yes, but ironically, they do make Dye gear in 8 year old kid sizes. This is not to condemn Dye gear by any means; I personally wear a pair of Dye pants and have been very pleased with them, they have lasted me over 2 years of sliding into (and, on occasion, out the other side of) bunkers on bare dirt and rocks (the field is a lot nicer now that grass is starting to grow). I think their stuff is a bit pricey, yes, but well designed. They just seem to be the stereotypical company for those that want to look like they've been playing a while and know what they're doing.

As has been said before, there are entirely too many people that have replied to this thread to quote them all (well, I could, but I don't have that kind of time), so I will try to sum everything up in this:

No, I'm not jealous of their stuff. Yes, it looks cool and flashy, but my stuff works fine for me. I've never really been all that impressed with Matrices in general, but before I start getting flames from all the Matrix shooters out there, keep in mind that it is just a personal preference. Actually, I'm quite glad that I did not start playing paintball with a $1400 gun that my mom bought me. I started playing with a Tippmann 98 Custom and didn't really start improving until I took up pump play, so there's no telling how bad a player I'd be if I had started with a Dark Angel or something along those lines. (You can say what you'd like, but I think most of you will agree that the most common newbie mistake is not moving enough, and that having the capability and the finances to shoot a lot of paint generally tends to make people want to remain even more stationary)

Yes, it does pose a safety issue. Anyone who buys an HPA tank should be instructed in how to fill it properly, or have someone else fill it for them until they know how. Anyone remember when people got killed by rocketing CO2 tanks? Imagine what could happen if you take someone with no experience and give them a 4,500 p.s.i. pressure vessel to mess around with.

While proper care and filling of tanks is probably the most dangerous aspect, putting electronic markers capable of shooting several shots per second in the hands of someone incapable of controlling that kind of firepower on or off the field is definately not a good idea. I'm not saying that the kids I played with this weekend were being unsafe, but I'm sure that some people are (then again, so are some "experienced" players). And to whoever said that it's no more dangerous giving an inexperienced players a Nelspot or Splatmaster than an electro, I'm not sure what you're saying...yes, it's still not a good idea, but if someone knocks a Nelspot off the table, it's not likely to go off, and even if it does, it would fire only one shot (and you probably have a crater in your floor). Shut the hopper lid or bump an electro with a sensitive trigger and you can cause the marker to fire multiple shots.

As for the issue of whether or not having large numbers of new players starting off with high end markers is good for the future of paintball, I am still undecided. Yes, it's good for the field owners who make lots of money off of all the paint these kids shoot, yes it's nice to be able to buy a slightly used high end gun cheaply off of some kid's dad because their son played three times and didn't like paintball, and yes, it is fun to be able to say at the end of the day that you shot out the rich kids with the $1400 gun that daddy bought them with your (insert other marker here), but it's not without its drawbacks. In addition to the ones mentioned above, this potentially creates more people who view the sport of paintball in a critical way, whether because their son didn't like it and cost them 3 grand, or because their son and his friends played for the first time on his birthday and got shot multiple times by the rich kids with the expensive guns (which leads to the mentality that they too have to have expensive stuff to compete and have a good time).

Anyway, that's just my $.02.

Rooster
02-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Its the parents money. Who cares how they spend it? I figure its nicer to spend it on their kids than blowing it on a new BMW.

matt-o
02-24-2005, 09:07 PM
But that's just as true for a Splatmaster or Nelspot as todays most "advanced" electronic marker.
yes but to a much lesser extent, a nelspot dosnt have the ability to put out 20+ eyes per second

tippmannpain889
02-24-2005, 09:25 PM
ilike the good deals. some guy i know traded his angel 4 thats 2 years old for a brand new ego because he thought the angel looked cooler i love the deals. and my parents havent bought me any paintball stuff since i was 10 when i started playingf with mydad me and my brothers would all go out ( 3 of use with a sling shot a nelsplat and a sl 68 II oldest had the best gun and when he got shot he passed it down. i was youngest so i had the sling shot:) it was the good ol days.

Lohman446
02-25-2005, 07:01 AM
Yes, it does pose a safety issue. Anyone who buys an HPA tank should be instructed in how to fill it properly, or have someone else fill it for them until they know how. Anyone remember when people got killed by rocketing CO2 tanks? Imagine what could happen if you take someone with no experience and give them a 4,500 p.s.i. pressure vessel to mess around with.

So... you properly fill them? Care to explain to me the procedure you use when filling your HPA tank.

This is not to pick on you... but you have very likely crossed a line of condeming others for something you are not right on as well - not that I am right either.

mobsterboy
02-25-2005, 07:58 AM
so, was the impulse user any good paintmagnet?

Chris42050
02-25-2005, 05:45 PM

No. You could say it's a safety issue putting a device that fires projectiles of any sort into the hands of a 10 year old. And even then I take issue with that statement.

Really, it's a safety issue when you put a device that fires projectiles of any sort into the hands of an inexperienced person.

I don't question that there's a need for basic training for new players. However I think the responsibility is with primarily with the manufacturers, then field owners and referees, then fellow players.

Honestly now, how much difference is there learning the safe use of a 100$ Walmart marker and a 2000$ "top-of-the-line" marker? Considering the 10 year-olds probably could whip the average "older" players back-sides in any given video game, I doubt that any worries of the "hair trigger" really merit consideration.

Put the jelousy (if they have 200$ markers) or snobbery (if they're carrying 100$ Walmart specials) aside and teach the new players (regardless of their age, 10 or 40 makes no difference). If they prove to be too immature or arrogant to learn or act appropriately, then complain.

I hope the jealosy and snobbery was not pointed at me because if so you need to read my post again. I cant beleive you think there is no difference between a 10 year old newbie with a splatmaster and a 10 year old newb with say a DM-5. I have played with many 10 year old newbies. I do not feel very safe standing next to them in between games. They havent learned proper safety yet. I of course help them and teach them what is safe and many times I take them under my wing and have them tag along with me on the field. But, I do not feel safe handing them a very fast gun. It's just not safe. They dont know how to handle it. It's much better starting them with a gun that suits their level. I dont like giving them a gun that has a hair trigger because many times they forget to put thier barrel plug in. Why give them a gun that can go off by just bumping it. This happened to me the last time I played actually and the newb was 20. He forgot his barrel plug. I was walking off the field and someone bumped him. His gun shot me 3 times point blank, once in the mask and 2 in the armpit. I was reaching out to point his gun away from me and someone bumped him right before I could grab the barrel. I just dont think its safe for a newb to have a hair trigger.

Lohman446
02-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Why give them a gun that can go off by just bumping it.

Any marker that will fire by just bumping it does not comply with ASTM standards, nor with the standards of any major tournament promotion - as such it has no place in the hands of anyone, on any field.

Chris42050
02-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Any marker that will fire by just bumping it does not comply with ASTM standards, nor with the standards of any major tournament promotion - as such it has no place in the hands of anyone, on any field.
That doesnt stop people from buying these guns and bringing them to the fields. As for the incident I described I think the person had thier finger next to the trigger and when they were bumped thier finger hit the trigger.

paint magnet
02-25-2005, 09:18 PM
So... you properly fill them? Care to explain to me the procedure you use when filling your HPA tank.

This is not to pick on you... but you have very likely crossed a line of condeming others for something you are not right on as well - not that I am right either.

Turn tank off or unscrew it from marker. Hook Q/D onto the fill nipple (after checking hydro date and pressure rating), make sure it's on there, depress "push to fill" button on fill station. Watch tank gauge, stop at appropriate pressure.

No, I'm not certified to fill tanks, but I consider it properly filling a tank because I am using the fill station the way it was designed to be used. As opposed to someone who, say, tries to hook the Q/D up to the pin valve.

I'm not trying to look down on anyone or make fun of them because they didn't know how to use the fill station.

Perhaps I came across as condemning individual players in my first post. This was not my intention, those mentioned in my first post were in no way rude or stuck up; it just got me to thinking about the subject - and judging by the replies to this thread, it seems to have been on the minds of a few others as well.

mobsterboy - I'm guessing you were shooting the Impulse? :rolleyes:

The Action Figure
02-25-2005, 09:36 PM
dude where u been? when you play now? I wanna play too :(

paint magnet
02-25-2005, 10:58 PM
dude where u been? when you play now? I wanna play too :(

Whenever I can. We'll have to play at Upstate some time :cheers:

Lohman446
02-26-2005, 05:52 AM
Turn tank off or unscrew it from marker. Hook Q/D onto the fill nipple (after checking hydro date and pressure rating), make sure it's on there, depress "push to fill" button on fill station. Watch tank gauge, stop at appropriate pressure.

Hmm... thats the way "everyone" does it - though most of the time there left on the marker. Judging by other industries fill standards though it is far from the correct method. What you are doing is referred to as a "Flash fill" and if you talk with people who are involved with HPA you will find it is not as safe as we think it is. SCUBA for instance uses "blast chambers" or compartmetns to fill the tank - the hoses we used are often untethered or theres a piece of string... you will find our "accepted" way of doing it is very wrong.

mobsterboy
02-26-2005, 11:41 AM
what makes you say that paintmagnet, besides the fact that you never said anything about an impulse?
Gonna play today?

Hybrid
02-26-2005, 11:47 AM
I see it all the time too.

recently, i went to a big woodsball center flag game that was held at me and my friends woods field that we made up. the teams were divided into 2 sides and the opposing team ended up consisting of a lot of guys and kids that went all out (or their parents went all out, for the kids. you know). i saw guys that were using headsets/walkies etc. i mean, by the looks of them, you think they would be pretty good, right? nope! they had no strategy whatsoever.

well after two rounds of slaughter on them, i think we sent home a bunch of humiliated people. we just kept forcing them back and there was no saving their team. i was only shooting a Spyder with a few upgrades too, and knocking people out left and right. i saw kids with tricked out Impys, etc. i even saw a few Timmys. its crazy. parents spend so much on their kids.

if it was my kids and they were totally new to the sport, they would end up with Spyders or something similar.

i'm not pro or anything but i know better than buying myself an expensive marker and then finding out i dont like the sport. thats why i have a Spyder for the time being, and an Automag on the way.

cpt
02-26-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm 55 nad I can't get my parents to buy me any of my stuff either. Any advice?

Beemer
02-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Mass Marketing = Uninformed, Uneducated, Unsafe

"BELLEVILLE - A 12-year-old boy was blinded in his right eye when a loaded paintball gun left on a table accidentally fired, according to a lawsuit filed in St. Clair County Circuit Court."

the gun allegedly went off after Leehy's son bumped a table.

The lawsuit also lists as defendants Paintball City of Belleville where Leehy allegedly bought the paintball gun and Odyssey Group International of Mobile, Ala., the manufacturer.

http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/8252352.htm

matt-o
02-27-2005, 07:10 PM
that article basically said that 1000 people were hurt paintballing in 2000 but one in a thousand of those injuries were related to the actuall firing of the gun? so one person (the one in the article?) was actually hurt by a ball to the eye. honestly i though there was more than that, not saying we should be careless but that really isnt too significant. excuse me if i somehow looked at the numbers wrong.

paint magnet
03-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Hmm... thats the way "everyone" does it - though most of the time there left on the marker. Judging by other industries fill standards though it is far from the correct method. What you are doing is referred to as a "Flash fill" and if you talk with people who are involved with HPA you will find it is not as safe as we think it is. SCUBA for instance uses "blast chambers" or compartmetns to fill the tank - the hoses we used are often untethered or theres a piece of string... you will find our "accepted" way of doing it is very wrong.

The hose is screwed down to the table. And yes, I do realize that flash filling is not the safest method to fill a tank, common sense would tell you that. I usually turn the pressure down on the fill station and then slowly turn it up while holding the button in or at least fill the tank partially and wait a little while. It is, however, the way that particular fill station is designed to be used, and I would hope that it's not on the market if it's unsafe. They seem to be in widespread use (Bauer fill stations) and the only problems I've heard of were the occasional busted regulator o-ring (seemed to be more prevalent with the Angel A.I.R.) or fill nipple.

mobsterboy Please PM me if you want to talk about something other than the topic being discussed.