PDA

View Full Version : Question to AGD (the company) and fellow Workshoppers

ScatterPlot
02-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Hello all you that decided to look at this!

--Disclaimer- This is in the Workshop cause I feel it applies to this subject area, and cause the people that might want in on this would visit here. If the mods feel it must be moved, go ahead- I just thought it might get the proper respect in this area. BTW, if you do move it, delete this part ;)

AAAAAAAAAAANywho,
I have a question/proposition that I would like to ask to AGD and my fellow workshoppers. It might have been asked before, but I don't know, and the answer might have changed, so I will ask it again (maybe).

How many times have you been sitting around with nothing to do and thought of something cool to do to a mag? However, it would be permanent and if it didn't work would screw up one of your mag valves, which if it's an X-valve can be a costly thing to replace should you fudge something stupid like messing up a tap job or something.

To AGD- I seem to recall one time a post about how there was just a big ole barrel full of old classic valves (and I think some ReTro, RT, and RT-Pro) that were sent in as part of the Go-Retro or Go-X program- basically just to be thrown away because they are old and starting to wear, so you can make sure that old stuff doesn't tarnish the views people have on new stuff. Perfectly understandable. But while I understand this importance, it also seems to me like there could be a better use for them than simply junking them. I was wondering if you would be willing to sell some of them to us tinkerers that would like to fiddle with one (or more) for the purpose of simply tinkering. Not to sell or use on a normal gun, but to fiddle with with little regard to fudging it up, scratching the anno, etc.
For example, many people have wanted to make gatling guns for paintball, but have been held up by the obvious cost obstacle required in using separate mechanisms, be it mag or otherwise, and the complexity of using only a single mechanism. This would be ideal for that person; something to be made for show to friends and a select group of people. But not to mass market for resale. I have a few ideas that only use one valve (not for a gatling gun, for other stuff :D) but I don't want to break a 200 dollar (minimum) part just to be fiddling with.

So would you guys be willing to part with some? I realize the risk, cause I also know about one prototype that you guys let out that started getting all passed around, so you had to start destroying protos that you guys made. What if you just sold some to trusted people? Like people you personally knew, or maybe people who have been on AO for a long time, shown that they aren't complete morons, you know, people that you might trust not to just make some mags with cheap valves and sell them.

Who knows. It might be a good way for you guys to make some extra bucks with some stuff you thought you might have to throw away. Or you might think it's too risky to let these things out of your sight. Whatever the case may be, I felt it couldn't hurt to ask.

Couple last things- If you did decide to do this kind of thing, you could have it be kinda like your dealer page thing; people would have to email or call in and get special permission to keep all the people wanting cheap stuff out.
You could scratch them real bad in some certain places, to keep them from ever being used in a trade-in type program.
Also, this could apply to bodies, old plastic frames, rails, etc. that you guys are phasing out and are being sent to the junk heap.
You might need to consider that this might not bring in just a TON of money, but it might bring enough (depending on the # of valves you have) to justify the extra trouble it might cause you. I was just thinking that you can usually find a used one for about $50 or so, so you might not be making a huge profit out of this, but like I said I don't know how many valves you had left over.

Finally I wanna say that if you think this a bad idea, fine by me. Whatever. I was just hoping for a chance to fine-tune some of my tinkering skills and just see what I could do without fudging up my xvalve. And this post turned out about 50 times longer than I thought it would. Regardless of your decision, thanks for reading :D!
Bert McMahan

Edit: If you wanna send me an email (;) ;)) please include the word "paintball" in the subject or my junk mail filter will filter it out. Thanks again!

jamescell
02-21-2005, 10:41 AM
I second that :)

noahyay
02-21-2005, 01:44 PM
me three

chaos lichen
02-21-2005, 08:42 PM
I'm all for it! :D

TeeJay11
02-23-2005, 08:59 PM
that is quite possibly the smartest thing I have heard all week, i would love to get a cheap valve to tinker with, I especially like the idea about putting a big ole' scratch in it so nobody will resell them lol

txaggie08
02-23-2005, 10:30 PM
actualy might be a good way to get some cheap publicity in the tinkerers circles, and would get the automag name back out there with people using them. nice idea.....

ScatterPlot
02-24-2005, 12:37 AM
Yup. That was something else I was thinking of. However, either the answer is "no" and the "powers that be" don't wanna get into why or why not, or they haven't seen this post yet. Anyone wanna make something linking to this thread in Paintball Talk or something? I don't think I should be the one to do it, since it is mine and all.

ultralight
02-24-2005, 03:05 AM
ive been tinkering with the idea of a three barreled (3 magged) gatling gun using q loaders for some time now. very interesting, great question. as with all things in life, never underestimate the power of asking.

Bad_Dog
02-24-2005, 07:17 PM
aint gonna happen :cry:

but you can keep trying :p

ScatterPlot
02-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Up; hoping for an answer...

noahyay
02-27-2005, 03:06 PM
i dont understand why agd wouldnt want to get rid of all their old valves to us tinkerers

agd please answer our call

DGBaller
02-27-2005, 05:24 PM
AGD could mark the valve so they could not be traded in and be undesirable to others.

personman
02-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Been asked before :/

It's always been a pretty firm no. Maybe dave would allow it? Who knows. I do know that they probably dont check The Workshop.

ScatterPlot
02-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Anyone want to put a link to this thread in Paintball talk or Friendly? I don't think I should be the one to do it.

ultralight
03-11-2005, 04:37 AM
well, i don't know about AGD but i have an AIR valve for $50ish in the classified section. just search my posts to find it if you are interested.

txaggie08
03-11-2005, 08:13 AM
i think the pro-classic answered our quesions