PDA

View Full Version : automag body color

nipplez
02-21-2005, 11:31 PM
has anyone tried to paint there body's? i cant afford to powerdercoat it and would like to know what you guys think of painting the body with a spray can

txaggie08
02-22-2005, 07:11 AM
i painted mine at one point(got scratched so i sanded it down.....probably going to do it again. ) make shure you use a good primer before you do it, especialy if your gonna use a metal flake. illd use the automotive paints if i were you. your also gonna need a good sealer. if you do a good job it ought to be good for a while at least

maglover728
02-22-2005, 04:23 PM
I am looking to do this but how long is a while?

SpitFire1299
02-22-2005, 04:52 PM
I painted my tippmann a gloss black, because i didnt like the flat black, and wanted to give it more "style".

My Steps-
1- I went to the store and bought some Real nice black spray paint
2- I took the gun apart, and had the 2 pieces of metal/body
3- I then took my time to clean every corner and angle with a scrub brush.
4- I layed some newspaper down and painted it black, i did 1 coat, and did a very light coat.

Summary- You cant even tell that i painted it, it looks like it came painted gloss stock. You MUST make sure your metal is clean, and that you dont make to thick of a coat (runs, unlevel paintjob, etc...). I sprayed it from about 8-10 inches away from the metal, using quick/crisp strokes. The paintjob is SCRATCHLESS, and i believe that you get what you pay for in spray paint.

I suggest...
1-dont paint it, and save up for powdercoat. :rolleyes:
2-Clean the surface REAL nice.. (sandblasters are Amazing for this job, but if not make sure all areas on the metal/paint run together, so you dont get a wierd layer affect.)
3- Have someone who paints stuff do it! Practice makes perfect, and a good paintjob takes talent.
4- Dont use my steps.. you should use coats and primer, but i bought paint that was more than $20, and that i bought from a source.
5- (after primer coats...) First coat is quick and easy.. not painting the whole thing, second coat is almost covering the whole thing.. third coat is covering the whole thing lightly, and final coat is painting it. I would use 12-24 hour intervals, and never handle it during those days.

I hope this helps! :cheers: