PDA

View Full Version : Email signature ?

Southpaw
02-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Why do people put this at the bottom of email messages? It can’t be a binding agreement.

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure, and/or distribution of the material in this e-mail, including attachments, is strictly forbidden.

I just do not understand is it to make them feel more important?

Muzikman
02-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Because in a large organization, email can be binding, within the email. You don't know how many times I had to pull up emails to prove to management that they or someone else said something. Also if a company wants emails to be confidential then they place that at the bottom to let others know that this information should not be shared.

Now, if a private person is doing this, then it's silly.

Southpaw
02-22-2005, 05:17 PM
I do understand the need for CYA material I end up using it on a regular basis. I just think that it is silly I get messages that are something like

Frank and I are going out for lunch to old Chicago at 12:00 meet us at security.

Best Regards,
Account Executive
Joe Blow
Whatever Company
Bogus email

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure, and/or distribution of the material in this e-mail, including attachments, is strictly forbidden.

I understand that it is auto sig I just think that it is silly. I also do not believe that it would hold up in court if I accidentally received a mail from a competitor that had sensitive info and didn’t delete it right away. I think it is kind of like saying "now don’t get mad at me but I think your really packing on the pounds" to your girlfriend even if she agrees to not get mad SHE WILL.

The names in this post have been chaged to protect the innocent :cool:

Hexis
02-22-2005, 05:31 PM
More often than not, that footer is added by the email server itself in some large corporations that require it. It's one of those silly things some legal departments require.