PDA

View Full Version : First car

Maksimus54
02-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Anyone else get cheated on their first car? I just bought a 86 1/2 supra on tuesday, the clutch died that night. Take it to the shop on friday, get call on monday and am told it needs a new clutch and hydraulic system for the clutch. Today I get a call from my mechanic telling me I should just dump the car for as much as I can get, it is a total pos. I find that I can dump a lot more money into the car and make really cool, drive it now and pray it doesn't die, or sell it. Being my first car my heart says keep it and fix it up, my parents lean toward get it running and just drive like an old person, and my brain says to cut my losses and dump it on an unsuspecting stranger. I'm feeling pretty bad right now. Any advice or related stories?

Bear_Claw
02-22-2005, 07:50 PM
Whats the Car?

Well sometimes things work out that way. Even as a mechanic iv had my bad luck so dont beat yourself up bout it. EVEN my VW the parking brake cables snapped the day after i bought it (PITA to fix but pretty cheap). Thats the prob with buying used but if ya gain a little know how and dont mind a little work even a beater can run semi cost effectivly.

I cant say to keep it, baby it, or sell it But i can say that if ya dont plan to do any of the work yourself even a new car can get expensive FAST.

Oh and for stories well i basically traded a 1999 Ford Ranger (EMACULATE CONDITION had owned it since 20k) for my Current truck for INshurance reasons and i plain wanted a bigger truck with a Diesel. Well i took it home and found Trans fluid pising out the front o the TRANS well i was kinda luck as it had a 6 month warrenty on the truck and i made em change the front seal and update the fron bearing on the trans input shaft while i bit the bullet and had to find othermeans of transport to work. And once i got it back with in a few weeks i ended up with more electrical gremlins than i thought possible. I was VERY pissed and felt cheated as the dealer refused to continu the warrenty after paying out on the trans (courts too expensive). Well after at least 2 months of searching and scratching my head and almost selling the truck i found the prob to be a STUPID wire grounding on the frame. I got pretty luck there but now my trans bit the dust a year after ($1500CDN to replace it).

Either way i did not get burned too bad and hope the same for you.

Best of luck

sabrefanpc
02-22-2005, 08:11 PM
mine had nothing that bad...

both of the door handles broke off at the same time, so i had to climb through the trunk for a few months. A/c compressor blew 200 miles after the warenty expired.

tires i seem to go through like water and oem clutch was less than sufficient but then that wasnt dsm's fault...

-Tab
02-22-2005, 08:20 PM
both of the door handles broke off at the same time, so i had to climb through the trunk for a few months.

:rofl:

sabrefanpc
02-22-2005, 10:04 PM
:rolleyes: o yeah it was great. looked like I was steeling the car whenever I got into it.

SAW
02-22-2005, 10:06 PM
"No officer...This really is my car!"

purple
02-22-2005, 11:14 PM
I bought an 89 camry in 97 with 106000 miles on it (good deal, and besides, it's a toyota, right? :rolleyes: ) so about two weeks later, brakes go out, 300 bucks. 2 months after that, muffler rusted out to the point where it sounded like a ricemobile, and they found the exhaust system was perforated all the way up to the cat. Then i finally find out why the thing sounds like a diesel when it idles. It has a spring on the exhaust side cam shaft that keeps the mesh tight that broke. a 3 dollar part that cost 480 to fix.

that car was a HUGE money pit

luckily i gave it to charity and bought a 2003.5 mazda protege, man what a car! the camry is a friggen boat by comparison.

Purple

REDRT
02-23-2005, 01:05 AM
Anyone else get cheated on their first car? I just bought a 86 1/2 supra on tuesday, the clutch died that night. Take it to the shop on friday, get call on monday and am told it needs a new clutch and hydraulic system for the clutch. Today I get a call from my mechanic telling me I should just dump the car for as much as I can get, it is a total pos. I find that I can dump a lot more money into the car and make really cool, drive it now and pray it doesn't die, or sell it. Being my first car my heart says keep it and fix it up, my parents lean toward get it running and just drive like an old person, and my brain says to cut my losses and dump it on an unsuspecting stranger. I'm feeling pretty bad right now. Any advice or related stories?

Born in 86 and your just now getting your first car? I'm suprised your folks let you get something that old in the first place. The car is well, as old as you and on top of it a sports car that is almost always beat on. One would have had to suspect it is going to need work. How many miles? I take it you or anyone in your family isn't a mechanic thus taking it to the shop. Old cars can get mighty pricey doing that. Toys are pretty good for the long haul if they had someone taking care of them. I mean if this thing looks like new and the clutch is out of it then fix it and keep it. A clutch is a wear item that only lasts for so long anyways. If she looks like a ragged out bomb. Any rust, peeling paint, bad interior, things not working, or smoking oil. I'd say bombs away. The car isn't worth it. In the future I would suggest knowing more about it's history mantenance wise. Having your local tech check it out before you buy it or get something newer from the local dealer with some kind of warranty.
Sports cars and 4x4s you can/will get burnt 9 times out of 10 if you don't know anything about them.

Dubstar112
02-23-2005, 03:12 AM
Search for Galant VR-4 on here and you'll see my story.

Reaver
02-23-2005, 09:51 AM
HAd my camaro 1 week before it either cracked a head or blew a head gasket. :cuss:

fire1811
02-23-2005, 10:14 AM
88 turd brown ford taurus. need I say more

rkjunior303
02-23-2005, 10:18 AM
My first car was a 78 Chevy Nova coupe. That thing was so awesome but also, so bad.... The frame was a two-piece frame, which of course was rotting out at the mounts. I drove the thing for over a year with no windshield wipers and a lack of an exhaust... Every once in a while, the starter would short and I had to start it with a screwdriver across the posts of the starter motor. The thing was a total beast but I loved it. Those inline chevy 6's never died -- the thing sat in my driveway for 6 months, after I got a new car, and it started right up. I miss that car, to some degree!

Crighton
02-23-2005, 01:11 PM
81 Camaro berlinetta, main rear seal, head gasket, radiator, exhaust. list goes on and on. I sold it to some latin guy for like 750 bucks.

Target Practice
02-23-2005, 02:26 PM
1987 Chevy El Camino Conquista. Oh, how I loved that car. Didn't idle well, no posi, but man, it was a fun car to drive. Power locks, power windows, and velour interior.

It's my brother's now. It's got exhaust, posi, torque-thrusts, and a custom 350.

*sniff*

oneworld
02-23-2005, 02:39 PM
:rofl:

i know some one else who doesnt have all of his door handels :rolleyes:

o.. and y did you use your trunk :tard:

do some dukes of hazard stuff an bail out your window!

Lohman446
02-23-2005, 03:19 PM
Why and how do people buy cars that are 15 to 20 years old and then act surprised when things go wrong?

I know it happens, I know it upsets you, but step back and look at the situation and ask yourself are you really surprised?

I have this happen about once a week, or more where someone brings in there "new" to them car and you have to explain to them that it needs a massive amount of work and there is a reason they got such a "great" deal on it. I'm sorry for the people, but really, what do you expect?

sabrefanpc
02-23-2005, 03:32 PM

cause i cant leave my windows open. theft is a minor problem, since who is stupid enough to steal a pos like that, but rain woulda been a big problem.

and my car was only 5 years old at that time mind you...

kevdupuis
02-23-2005, 07:36 PM
1st car: 1952 Ford 239cui flathead top speed 95 mph down hill with a tail wind, rolled it within 6 months. This was in 78.

WickeDKlowN
02-23-2005, 07:43 PM
My first 'car' was(well, is) a 95 Eddia Bauer F150. Runs pretty good, I just wish it was a 4x4. I'm about to put in a cd player, replace the speakers and throw in a pair of 8" subs. After that, if I can't find a decent old car to work on, I'll add a Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N air filter, and shift kit.

-Tab
02-23-2005, 09:02 PM

HEY

i can still get out just fine

and uh......he said he would get in through the trunk - not out.

unless he's an idiot like me and leaves his windows down almost ALL the time.

MaChu
02-24-2005, 12:42 AM
1993 Dodge Caravan, draggin shaggin wagon.

SoccerPaintball3
02-24-2005, 10:30 AM
i got a 94 manual accord it has 198,000 miles and i haven't had a problem with it yet. i really like it.

PyRo
02-24-2005, 11:03 AM
I did that with my grand cherokee for a while while the drivers door was broken. Turns out it's harder than it looks to jump in there though :)

sabrefanpc
02-24-2005, 12:23 PM
o yeah

those shift nobs are killer...