PDA

View Full Version : A question about barrels.

hobbesTZ
02-23-2005, 07:06 PM
I was measuring the actual bore of some of my barrels today, and noticed that some of them have a larger bore (some of them were HUGE) at the end where the barrel threads into the body before it goes to the regular bore size. If you feel down inside you can tell where it's slanting. Not all of the barrels were like this. Why is this :confused:

Chronobreak
02-23-2005, 07:07 PM
some companies use stepd bored..they think its better for soem reason

ive used both single and stepd bores...didnt see any diff

peewee
02-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Might look at warpig they have a bunch of info on barrels. I never questioned it before.

Automaggot68
02-23-2005, 07:12 PM

Dude, Seriosuly spellcheck, man.
Half the time I can't undertstand wtf you're saying.

Chronobreak
02-23-2005, 07:21 PM
reads fine to me... :p

VFX_Fenix
02-23-2005, 08:17 PM

THat isn't a stepped bore, Stepped bored barrels are like Boomsticks/Freaks/All Americans/Infinity that have a tight controll bore and then have a large diameter tip.

What hobbes is seeing is actually something that certain companies use that goes back to firearms. In it's simplest state its called a "ramp", an inclined plane used to help a round into the chamber and battery. Since the barrels we use in paintball don't have a definiate up or down side (exceptions being the Flatline and Hop-Up barrel systems) this ramp takes on the form of a cone.

This cone serves to load that ball into the barrel gently from the large diameter of the reciever tube. Certain companies use these cones and others don't. By and large the reason is the difference between the ID of the reciever body and a "normalized" ID of the paint/barrel the company scaled everything off of.

I know that Spyder clones use these cones as well as WDP, ICD, Tippmann and SP

EDIT: And Stepped bores trade efficiency (air usage) for consistancy. They do this by venting air from behind the ball into the larger tip diameter where the ball is still feeling the force of the air but not as strongly as if it were in a single diameter bore. This abrupt venting serves to lessen the effects of inconsistant volumes/pressures of air used to propell the ball. SP claims the purpose of the step is to allow the ball to regain it's form after being blasted with air, I can't say one way or the other on that one.

However from a conceptual stand point its like having 2 cannons, each with one style of barrel then having someone without a way to measure accurately (consistantly) the mass of powder for the charge loading the cannon and firing. We'd see that because the increased time-frame that the explosive force of the inconsistant powder loads is allowed to act uppon the cannon ball the single bored cannon would have greater variance of impact ranges. However, assuming that both cannons are using roughly the same weight charges, we'd see that the stepped bore cannon's impacts would be nearer than the single bore cannon's :shooting:

Automaggot68
02-23-2005, 08:21 PM
THat isn't a stepped bore, Stepped bored barrels are like Boomsticks/Freaks/All Americans/Infinity that have a tight controll bore and then have a large diameter tip.

What hobbes is seeing is actually something that certain companies use that goes back to firearms. In it's simplest state its called a "ramp", an inclined plane used to help a round into the chamber and battery. Since the barrels we use in paintball don't have a definiate up or down side (exceptions being the Flatline and Hop-Up barrel systems) this ramp takes on the form of a cone.

This cone serves to load that ball into the barrel gently from the large diameter of the reciever tube. Certain companies use these cones and others don't. By and large the reason is the difference between the ID of the reciever body and a "normalized" ID of the paint/barrel the company scaled everything off of.

I know that Spyder clones use these cones as well as WDP, ICD, Tippmann and SP

If all of your posts are like this, I'll be reading them
Hot damn.
Awesome Post. I surrender TEN cool points to you.

RingOfScale
02-23-2005, 10:53 PM
yar, but the edit makes it even beter ! mad probs to you , sir ... cept i cant remember what your name was, sorry

VFX_Fenix
02-24-2005, 01:30 AM
umm.... Fenix??? I've never attended an AO function if you're looking for a rl name ;)

slade
02-24-2005, 12:14 PM
good post fenix. i noticed this on some of the barrels i have, and thought it was just to help load the ball smoother and to avoid barrel breaks. if the ball has a weak shell, it could hit the lip of the barrel when the bolt pushes it forward and break. a taper on the barrel will ensure that where the breech and barrel meet, the barrel is a wider diameter and thus the ball will not hit the lip of the barrel while loading. the diameter of the barrel slowly becomes smaller until the ball fits the barrel.