PDA

View Full Version : Valve retaining nut for cocker...question for experianced cocker "techs"

punkncat
02-27-2005, 03:39 PM
I was shooting my "new" cocker today and noticed my velocity drop way off, and this strange noise. I took it apart, and the retaining nut is just rattling around in between the valve and hammer. I took my valve tool and tried to put in back in place, but apparently the threads have been messed up. The nut itself is fine, but the threads in the body are cross threaded halfway up towards the valve. I am sure I would have to send it to a mill to be repaired.

I am wondering what will happen if I shoot it repeatedly w/o the valve retaining nut? Will the hammer cause the end of the valve to mushroom onto the stem and lock it up?

The bottom screw that holds the valve is in, and locktighted. There are many markers of a very similar design that use nothing but that style of screw(under the grip frame) to hold the valve in place, but none that I know of that use that long of a guide on the stem/hammer side. Does the valve retaining nut actually act as a stopper for the hammer?

RRfireblade
02-27-2005, 03:44 PM
The bottom set screw is not sufficient to hold the valve under the repeated pounding of the hammer.Eventually you'll beat the valve body to death.:)

I can retap those threads for you for a very inexpensive charge plus return shipping. Don't do more irepairable damage trying to save a few bucks. :nono:

Jay.

punkncat
02-27-2005, 03:51 PM
PM ed you back..... :D