PDA

View Full Version : Do 8 hole mods hinder performance?

luke
11-17-2001, 10:18 AM
We know 8 hole mods do nothing to improve performance, but do they negatively effect performance?

In late 95 my team was new to the tournament scene. Our entire team was outfitted with Mags because of advice given by upper level tournament players. So when we were looking for ways to improve the performance of our Mags, one of the guys that was helping struggle threw our first tournaments suggested an 8 hole mod, we never second guest him. Myself and a few others went to a local machinist and had him drill out regs. Well from the very beginning I knew it was a waste of money because I didn't see an improvement. After the mod was done, it seemed like the velocity was erratic and that some performance was lost. I have often wondered if I was imagining the loss off performance like some that perceive a gain in performance, or is it possible there was no change at all?

Any ideas?

M-a-s-sDriver
11-17-2001, 10:26 AM
There should be no detrimental effects to performance. If the machinist got into the reg. seat area so the washer does not seal right, or is deformed, that could be the cause of the erratic velocity. Check for burrs, or see if he overdrilled into the lip of the seat area.
Brent Jackson, PFB.

rudy
11-17-2001, 07:19 PM
maybe you all just used the same reg seat you took out insted of getting a new one. that could also cause velocity inconsistency. he may have also put the regs in a vice or something and held them a little to tight causeing the whole thing to go a bit out of round unlikely but possible. I think some aftermarket mods may have been made with bad tolerances cause in the time i owned a mag i had a few rear reg assemblies and soem seem to be a little of a problem like he diamond labs hurricane which would not surprize me cause all there stuff seemed a little cheap.