PDA

View Full Version : Automag 3d files? Anyone?

SummaryJudgement
03-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any 3d files for the slug/classic/ULE/karta bodies out there? Preferably in a cross platform firmat like .obj. I work in Maya and I was hoping to fool around with designs. I want to start with a 3d file so that I know all of the tolerances/dimensions are exact. And a grip frame (any) file would be great too.

Jus curious...

Chronobreak
03-02-2005, 06:57 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73563

is this what your looking for? it was stickied in the tech section at the top

SummaryJudgement
03-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Hmmmm.....won't open for me. And I'm not sure what I can use to convert it. Wait, I found a dwgTranslator.mll for Maya, but it brings in 2d curves. I guess this gives me dimensions and such, but I was hoping for an already complete 3D model (like the slug body or ULE) that I could change and sculpt from there. If anyone already has a file with a 3D model of the body and/or grip frame I would be very happy :(

magmonkey
03-02-2005, 08:08 PM
I could do a soild works drawing if you want

Chronobreak
03-02-2005, 08:11 PM
check the marker contest?
i know alot of peopel asked and got them around that time i just dont recall where/from who

if you CANg et ahold of tom hel prob let ya know ;)

just say his name 3 times

TOM
TOM

phantomhitman
03-02-2005, 08:58 PM
i believe tom would not release the cad file, but even if he did it would do you no good. if you wanted to make your own body in 3d you have to start from scratch anyways, you cannot simple use a slug 3d model and start to "mold and shape" it. leave cad files in cad, and maya files in maya. they do not play nice together, however 3d studio max and cad work together quite nicely.

magmonkey
03-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Tom did release the cad file for the sluggo bodys it is still up on here some where

phantomhitman
03-03-2005, 10:03 AM
but i thought he would not release the rail file? i stand corrected i guess, good luck with teh 3d modeling excercise :cheers:

SlartyBartFast
03-03-2005, 11:33 AM
but i thought he would not release the rail file? i stand corrected i guess, good luck with teh 3d modeling excercise :cheers:

The rail file is available? Where?

Big'n slo
03-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Possibly derived from this? (http://haveblue.org/tech/automag/index.html)

SummaryJudgement
03-03-2005, 12:30 PM
i believe tom would not release the cad file, but even if he did it would do you no good. if you wanted to make your own body in 3d you have to start from scratch anyways, you cannot simple use a slug 3d model and start to "mold and shape" it. leave cad files in cad, and maya files in maya. they do not play nice together, however 3d studio max and cad work together quite nicely.

Yes, that's why I was looking for a maya friendly version, like .obj. And I wouldn't just mold the file I got. I would use it as a template for tolerance purposes :rolleyes:

phantomhitman
03-03-2005, 12:50 PM
um, do you own a mag? just measure it. you can even take a pic from the internet (side shot) and start from there. or do you want exact measurements? it seems like you want to play around with designing your own body, so i do not think your measurements have to be exact. try jayloo.com, he has tons of mag pics.

as far as your :rolleyes: goes, im trying to help you here. i can flame though :mad:

slarty, i thought magmonkey said the body rail was released, i actually did not know the rail was released either. i am almost postivie tom enver released teh rail cad file.

SlartyBartFast
03-03-2005, 01:30 PM
slarty, i thought magmonkey said the body rail was released, i actually did not know the rail was released either. i am almost postivie tom enver released teh rail cad file.

He did. By accident. And I already have that file. :D

I just thought that there was an official one out as well.

As great as a resource Haveblue is, I think it's very uncool making the error public.

The decent thing to do would to tell Tom about his mistake and keep it to themselves. ;)

SummaryJudgement
03-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Yes. I own a micromag and a karta body mag. And have a ULE body laying around. But I was hoping to avoid the measuring and start with accurate measurements. Oh and :rolleyes: , didn't mean anything by it....

Joshk
03-03-2005, 02:41 PM
I started making a automag in 3ds max...and I believe ule bodies are somewhere in the 8-8.5 inch range, and the diameter is 1 inch. (these are pretty rough answers).