PDA

View Full Version : pump class paintball

vomit-fish
03-03-2005, 09:22 AM
is anyone else interested in stock class or atleast pump play?

i think we need to try and push this sport in the direction of stock class play to preserve its integrity.

the sport of paintball is going down the ****ter and its not turning around.

we need to find a way to stop this aggness 35 bps garbage and stop the paintball arms race.
rof is by far the most overrated element of paintball.

surely it makes a difference, but i do not beleive you need to spend 1000-1500 dollars on a gun in order to win, none the less have fun.

if you have fun shooting your 35 bps and bonus balling people then you go right ahead, because thats what paintball is about.

i made this thread to get the opinion not only of people who agree with me, but also people who disagree and love shooting their thousand dollar guns.

yea just wanted to let everyone know that there is an alternative style of play called stock class out there.

give it a try, you will be impressed, or maybe someone else will be impressed by you and not your gun.

RRfireblade
03-03-2005, 09:27 AM
Love shooting my thousand dollar guns ;)

Creative Mayhem
03-03-2005, 09:30 AM
I agree with RR. Thousand dollar guns are :cool:

I like to play pump though, I have an AMP Illusion, and am in the process of making a pump mag. So pump hasn't died over here ;)

vomit-fish
03-03-2005, 09:43 AM
fireblade...what do you enjoy about it?

do you enjoy shooting hundreds of rounds a game?

or do you enjoy winning tournaments by having gun advantages?

or do you just enjoy having things that are up on the times?

or do you enjoy being trendy?

or do you enjoy being another amongst the masses at your local field?

or do you purely enjoy technology and its accomplishments of advancing the paintball marker quality?

or do you enjoy just shooting?(some people do)

im just wondering your style of play because maybe it will help me to understand some of these people i see with their guns that cost 1k+.

thx, and please noone take offense to this, im not insulting or being mean, im just inquiring.

RRfireblade
03-03-2005, 09:43 AM
:)

Doesn't mean I don't play pump also, I do have a Phantom,Sterling,all custom milled/anno'd Sniper and a second Phantom on the way...due in a couple of weeks.

I just don't get to play it as much as I would like like.

vomit-fish
03-03-2005, 09:44 AM
interesting.

why so many guns?

collector or just a gun whore?

vomit-fish
03-03-2005, 09:45 AM
wow you've got 4000 posts, no wonder u dont play much... :)

RRfireblade
03-03-2005, 09:53 AM
fireblade...what do you enjoy about it?

Yes, I can afford it so it's not an issue.BTW,I also run racing gas in all my cars @ $4/gal.

I enjoy all my advantages,fast 40yrd times,walking the trigger faster than the 'rampers',years of advanced tactical experience,using the best equiptment money can buy.

or do you just enjoy having things that are up on the times? I only have the newest or the oldest most collectable,if it's not one or the other...it's out.

or do you enjoy being trendy? I am sort of a fashion plate.

or do you enjoy being another amongst the masses at your local field? as previously stated,I'm usually the one others look up to.

or do you purely enjoy technology and its accomplishments of advancing the paintball marker quality? I help develop that technology for a living so...you bet.

or do you enjoy just shooting?(some people do) What's paintball without shooting?

im just wondering your style of play because maybe it will help me to understand some of these people i see with their guns that cost 1k+. Here's the BIG question,Why are you so concerned with what makes other people happy?

thx, and please noone take offense to this, im not insulting or being mean, im just inquiring.

No offense taken. :D

BD_Paintball
03-03-2005, 10:02 AM
i play pump all the time. when i go to a field and i dont want to spend alot of money i just pull out my pump mag. its alot of fun and it helps with your aim for when you go back to your normal marker. a group of my friends all have pump, i have a pump mag and about 5 other have sniper II's. i also think that pump is making a comeback. i see alot more people with pumps at our local field then i would about a year ago. :headbang:

automikey
03-03-2005, 10:22 AM
They co-exist wonderfully, both these types of players. Imagine being stuck behind a tree as hundreds of paintballs break around you. Now you understand the "fog of war" on the paintball field. And in the brief pause, you have time to lean out and take just one shot...

I've always felt that the people who spend big money on fast guns are putting a lot of money into the industry, which has led to more R&D for produts which I can use in woodsball. Also increasing competition and lowering prices. Seriously, where would we be today if there weren't all these 14 year old kids with $1000 markers? ("...And on what planet does that makes sense?" is usually my next thought. I think my first car cost $200, and I'm not that old.).

Just to be clear, we're talking about $1000-$1500 non-mags.

A mossy-oak Phantom VSC .45 w/ FR-Antom should be on it's way here any time now...

Thordic
03-03-2005, 10:24 AM
I think pump speedball is the best concept in paintball. Its a blast to play, and really fun to watch.

I've been thinking of if a pump-class speedball tourney would work...

Jeffy-CanCon
03-03-2005, 11:06 AM
I think pump speedball is the best concept in paintball. Its a blast to play, and really fun to watch.

Pump speedball is awesome, and a very watchable game! I still love sneaking and running in the woods, though. :D

If you have enough of a population base, pump-speedball tournies work. They probably won't be as big (nor as profitable) as electro-speedball, though. Our local field is holding one at their indoor location later this month. It will be a fraction of the 20+ teams that showed at their ealier non-pump event.

At Skyball in 2000 they had two pump divisions, with eight teams, but they never did it again. :(

SCpoloRicker
03-03-2005, 11:34 AM

There is a pump tourny going on in CA as we speak...

There are $1000 pump guns, as well. CCM J2's, O.G. Carters, Grey Ghosts, anything Palmer...

Its odd, because most of us start pb at a younger age, the monetary restraints seem very high. Around 750 to get a decent setup, maybe less maybe more. But, when I compare pb to some of my and others hobbies, its really not that bad.

Case in point: Car enthusiasts. Now these guys can dump some money. Some of them drag, some Auto-X, and some just like driving a nice, customized, fast car. Drag slick are a couple hundred bucks at least, and you'll need several sets a season. After every 10-15 runs, something is gonna break. Clutch, tranny, diff, rear end, yadda.

Anywho, I guess my point is that as you get more financially stable, pb is actually not a horribly expensive hobby.

Recon by Fire
03-03-2005, 12:01 PM
I would rather see paintball make a pump evival than head where it is going today.

Jackel411
03-03-2005, 12:27 PM
I play mostly pump as is any way.. Id love to make a ULE Pump mag but no pump kits to be found...

The funny thing is I just bought an Ion , and a older Sterling and I got more excited about the older sterling :) 12 years of playing and never owning a sterling gets to you

Also.. the $1000 Marker issue.. Uhhh.. my main pump I spent $700 on that doesnt make me a monster , It makes me a CCM owner :)

zeroack
03-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Can't we all just get along....

I love playing pump. I'm driving over 700miles to play a one day pump event. So yea I like pump. However, $1000 paintslinging monsters aren't ruining our sport. I love the situations that pump play forces you into. I also love ripp'n on a trigger and letting the paint fly.

It's a big world...

To each there own.

Zero

Spaceman613
03-03-2005, 12:38 PM
If you want to increase pump play, organize an event... I did :)

April 9 in central illinois if anyone is interested.

If you look around, there are a lot of groups getting together to play pump. Some of the events should be fairly large. And what does price have to do with the gun? my pumpers cost more than my semis, because I use them more.

Go to one of the pump related forums online, and see if anyone is in your area... Contact them, and get a group of players to play.. Play against semi, play against pump, JUST PLAY and show people that its just as much fun with 100 rounds as it is with a full pack and halo.

Rinaldo
03-03-2005, 12:46 PM
There is a pump tourny going on in CA as we speak...

There are $1000 pump guns, as well. CCM J2's, O.G. Carters, Grey Ghosts, anything Palmer...

Its odd, because most of us start pb at a younger age, the monetary restraints seem very high. Around 750 to get a decent setup, maybe less maybe more. But, when I compare pb to some of my and others hobbies, its really not that bad.

Case in point: Car enthusiasts. Now these guys can dump some money. Some of them drag, some Auto-X, and some just like driving a nice, customized, fast car. Drag slick are a couple hundred bucks at least, and you'll need several sets a season. After every 10-15 runs, something is gonna break. Clutch, tranny, diff, rear end, yadda.

Anywho, I guess my point is that as you get more financially stable, pb is actually not a horribly expensive hobby.

I will aggree with you here. When I started playing I had to make the decision to buy either a Sega Genesis or a Mag. I later made teh decision to work all summer to buy a cocker in 96 rather than buy a new computer desk to do my homework on (yeah not a tough decision)

Then Paintball was a lot more though... I can now buy a case of paint for 40 at the field in MIami. Back then it was close to 135 at Paintball world in Kissimmee. the price of paint has dramatically gone down.
But it's relative, since Now I earn enough to shoot as much paint as I could ever want to and I can afford the nicest marker. However I will not buy into the marketing and I will not sell out this sport to be trendy. Hand me a 98 cocker or a stock mag and I'll still shoot guys all day and knock off their hoppers one balling them.

SCpoloRicker
03-03-2005, 01:28 PM
The funny thing is I just bought an Ion , and a older Sterling and I got more excited about the older sterling :) 12 years of playing and never owning a sterling gets to you

I, too used to drool over sterlings. Then I picked one up from an AO'er! Jackel, are you having any luck with barrel selection? I found a 12" Dye UL, unknown bore, in the parts bin of a local pro shop, but I'd love to pick up a 14" kit for it.

Jackel411
03-03-2005, 01:33 PM
SCpoloRicker

Right now just a stock barrel , Im going to wait till april when I go up to EMR , Im going to hit up two stores that are around there and always carry old stuff... One has a HUGE collection of BOA barrels :)

Worst comes to worst Ill pick up a J and J kit or a palmer barrel.. I like the stock one for now though

alfaromeo
03-03-2005, 01:35 PM
What are the odds of getting AGD to release drawings of the various pump parts for those of us who would like to have a pump mag but don't have all of the parts. I bought a pump and some rods when Tom was auctioning all of his spares, but I still need the other parts. If we had released drawings we could have our local machinist make the remaining parts.

I still take out my old bushmaster SI every now and then, I love the comments in the parking lot...."did you hear that cannon?" I have forgoten how loud the early pump guns were.

Kelly

Rinaldo
03-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Cockers were loud too... the barrels didn't come ported in 97... they were just a long piece of alluminum insert with an outter shell of black "whatever".

Are there Pump tournaments? I'd love to fly and meet up somewhere and play that would be great. I still have my pgp from ages ago I wonder if it still works

SCpoloRicker
03-03-2005, 02:52 PM
SCpoloRicker

Right now just a stock barrel , Im going to wait till april when I go up to EMR , Im going to hit up two stores that are around there and always carry old stuff... One has a HUGE collection of BOA barrels :)

Worst comes to worst Ill pick up a J and J kit or a palmer barrel.. I like the stock one for now though

Hey, if you get a chance, I'd gladly pay for either a med-large J&J 14", Palmer barrel, or any kind of kit they have laying around. If you remember when are going to go, hit met up and we can work out a way for me to get you $ upfront.

SCpoloRicker
03-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Cockers were loud too... the barrels didn't come ported in 97... they were just a long piece of alluminum insert with an outter shell of black "whatever".

Are there Pump tournaments? I'd love to fly and meet up somewhere and play that would be great. I still have my pgp from ages ago I wonder if it still works

Nor-Cal pump tourney (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163674)

I know that M-A-S-S Driver is organizing a team, and there are most likely others. Doesn't sound like your neck of the woods, though. You may want to check out AO Meet & Greet, as that is where we usually plan and discuss upcoming events.

peewee
03-03-2005, 03:09 PM
I tend to always have a pump usually a phantom. I enjoy playing pump more than semi any more. I dont play tournies & can compete in rec ball with a pump & have money left over .

Lee
03-03-2005, 04:02 PM
i like it all. all depends on my mood, though i think i enjoy pump the most.

i have regular fits of electro madness and balance them with a day of pump. sometimes in use several different guns in one day of play.

as said above, it all depends on what i feel like doing at the time.

Jeffy-CanCon
03-03-2005, 04:14 PM

There is a pump tourney scheduled at my local (indoor) field in Ottawa for March 26th. Check out www.paintstorm.ca

vomit-fish
03-03-2005, 04:47 PM
very nice feedbacks...now that i think about it, you are kind of right... pump vs semi does pose some interesting and fun situations.

and those expensive *** pump guns in the 700 dollar range are ridiculous.

SCpoloRicker
03-03-2005, 05:04 PM

But ridiculous in such an endearing way :p

DiSoRdeR
03-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Ever since I started playing StockClass I cant stop, my Phantom is still my main marker which will probably never change. Im not the best, but I try and thats all that matters. Buying a Phantom was the best thing Ive ever purchased, love it. Just need to find a stock for it and its done.

On a side note does any one use those 12 gram wrist holders? Thinking about picking up two of them, since I always lose tubes with my ronin pack harness.

phantomhitman
03-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Yes, I can afford it so it's not an issue.BTW,I also run racing gas in all my cars @ $4/gal.

I enjoy all my advantages,fast 40yrd times,walking the trigger faster than the 'rampers',years of advanced tactical experience,using the best equiptment money can buy.

or do you just enjoy having things that are up on the times? I only have the newest or the oldest most collectable,if it's not one or the other...it's out.

or do you enjoy being trendy? I am sort of a fashion plate.

or do you enjoy being another amongst the masses at your local field? as previously stated,I'm usually the one others look up to.

or do you purely enjoy technology and its accomplishments of advancing the paintball marker quality? I help develop that technology for a living so...you bet.

or do you enjoy just shooting?(some people do) What's paintball without shooting?

im just wondering your style of play because maybe it will help me to understand some of these people i see with their guns that cost 1k+. Here's the BIG question,Why are you so concerned with what makes other people happy?

this is some of the best answers i have seen given to this topic. if you want to dump $1400+ on a timmy or dm4, or even custom pumps then do so. play how you want to play. but please stay away from the "speedball players shooting at 20 bps have no skill" thing. if you step onto the field with them, or even closely watch them, there are way more tactics than you think. In fact it is even harder than it looks because those back guys throwing 20bps at you are definatly not helping you move around. I really do not understand the arguement or reasoning behind this type of issue. Do YOU not like speedball fields in general, or people shooting fast, or spending lots of money on their equipment? Or do you think people are being forced into thinking they have to buy a certain type of equipment to play?

peewee
03-03-2005, 06:30 PM
this is some of the best answers i have seen given to this topic. if you want to dump $1400+ on a timmy or dm4, or even custom pumps then do so. play how you want to play. but please stay away from the "speedball players shooting at 20 bps have no skill" thing. if you step onto the field with them, or even closely watch them, there are way more tactics than you think. In fact it is even harder than it looks because those back guys throwing 20bps at you are definatly not helping you move around. I really do not understand the arguement or reasoning behind this type of issue. Do YOU not like speedball fields in general, or people shooting fast, or spending lots of money on their equipment? Or do you think people are being forced into thinking they have to buy a certain type of equipment to play?

:shooting: There is always smack talk, that's part of the game. The basics of the game never change basic move, shoot cover fire, etc., is the same in both games. All that changes is the volume of paint which does present different issues. Mixing pump & semi play can get ugly. I like paintball anytime, anywhere. I don't think people are being forced (at least I would hope not) but they are being led to believe that to be the best that you can be you must have Super gun # 32B that costs $$$$$$. Great marketing groups. When most seasoned players who have skills know that they don't have to have it. A vast majority of people that do frequent speedball fields are sadly victims of this market that is tournament oriented. Personally I'm not so enthused with that approach. It splits the industry & players in a way that I feel is detrimental to us all in the long run.

Pyrate Jim
03-03-2005, 08:48 PM
very nice feedbacks...now that i think about it, you are kind of right... pump vs semi does pose some interesting and fun situations.

Call me ridiculous.
http://punishers-customs.com/gallery/crowdbuster/inline9.jpg

autocockertrader
03-03-2005, 09:08 PM
www.stockclasspaintball.com

peewee
03-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Punisher makes some insane markers as does PBMAXX. My local shop has noted an increase in pump sales. Any used pumps usually move within a week & he sells at least one new maveric a week. :ninja: pump ninja's are comming!!

http://airsoldier.com/~phog/

JRingold
03-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Well, I have to say after 5 years in hibernation from paintball, I have been bitten by the marker collection bug.

I have one foot planted in both camps. I like to go out and just dump a lot of paint down a barrel some days. Other days, I like to pull out the phantom and make people look silly when they dump a hopper of paint at a bunker and then I end up taking them in one or two good shots with the pump.

For the most part, if I really want to have a fun game, I prefer to play Modified stock class. It's more of a challenge and it adds to my adrenaline rush, especially in woods rec play.

evil_brother
03-04-2005, 11:18 PM
At scp you got sort of kicked for bad nouthing pump players saying pumps were stupid. Now you want to play pump? And how is a $700 pump ridiculus? A gold plated illusion isnt meant to play with but to keep on a wall. Its the rariety of it that matters in their cases mostly for the more expensive ones. So next time you want to make fun of pumps, then completely turn around and adore them, just keep ot to yourself. My 2 cents.

firebanex
03-05-2005, 12:42 AM
At scp you got sort of kicked for bad nouthing pump players saying pumps were stupid. Now you want to play pump?
heh... VF needs mod approval of all posts on SCP now. cause he came crusing in one day and basicly told us that pump was stupid and we should all be shooting electros and the what not. its was entertaining, just like the angel toting guy a few months before him.

anyways i'd pay 700 for a pump only if it had been seriously customed and tweeked and i acutaly had 700 to spare. i'd love to own a carter but i can't justify spending 500ish when i don't have a job and i'm off to collage next fall.