PDA

View Full Version : Please Relieve My Worries

MadPSIence
03-04-2005, 04:06 AM
I'm looking to invest in a new paintball gun soon and the Tac-One is just calling my name. However I am literally scared to the point where I can't fathom buying one because of all the Lvl X and X-Valve problems posted everywhere I go (not to mention the 1200 post topic on these forums)

From the description.. the Tac-One looks to be everything I want in a Paintball Gun. I'm even tempted to get the X-Mag .. but I'm just frightened I'll end up one of the 1200 posts in there asking why my gun is leaking like an unchanged diaper.

I've only owned 2 guns before. My first ever gun was a cheap JT 6.0 and I recently used a Tippmann A-5 which is indestructible and has never had any problems.

I'm debating between getting another A-5 and modifying it (Flatline, Comp Air, R/T/ RVA etc...) or getting a mag. The Tippmann seems like a much safer route because I know I will probably never have a problem or have to take it apart. Even if .. Tippmann stands behind their products like nobody else. At the same time it looks to me like a fully functioning X-Mag or Tac would kick the crap out of an A-5 and I want that ... but I want to be assured that if I treat the gun right it won't give me head aches.

I have no pro-shops in my area and I live in Canada so I think no matter how much AGD stands behind their products I'm going to lose a lot of money if I get a mag and it needs to be fixed.

So.. that being said could someone maybe comfort me.. or perhaps even educate me if I am being mislead or am missing something. Always willing to learn.

-Rich

Raven001
03-04-2005, 08:39 AM
First, where in canada do you live?

Second, I don't think there are any issues with the X valve itself. The lx bolt needs some fine tunning which seems to be one of the problems with it and there also seems to be an issue with the o-rings wearing out faster than on the older level 7 (from what I read). I would suggest that you look around for a classic mag with an intelliframe. Their cheap indestructable and as fast as you need for normal play. All you need to keep them up is an o-ring kit and some mag lube or other compatiable oil product.

If your in the T.O. area, let me know and I'll let you try out my classic and RT...

BigEvil
03-04-2005, 09:03 AM
There arent any "Issues" with either. Basically, people don't know how to tech their equipment, so they come here looking for advice. That's one of the things AO is for. SO put your mind at rest. AGD makes some of the best, must durable products out there.

athomas
03-04-2005, 09:08 AM
The old classic valves were definately the easiest valves to keep performing at the top of their game. You can make an X-valve perform like that too by using the nonspecialized parts. Don't use the level 10 and don't use the ULT and chances are you will have a functional gun that will outperform anything in the field with very few to no malfunctions. But, without the level 10, you could experience chops, just like any other mechanical gun. Without the ULT, the trigger will be a bit stiff (not as stiff as some), just like other mechanical guns. Like any gun, the more complexity you add, the greater the chances are that the tuning will become an issue. The trick is to tune the gun so it operates with lots of room for changing conditions, and don't tune the gun on the very edge of performance like many people who post here looking for help do.

Now, most of the failures you read about are because people want a quick answer without trying to figure out their own problems. Mags are really easy to troubleshoot and can be done at home. Most of the moving parts slide on an o-ring, so there is virtually no wear on the hard parts. Keep an o-ring kit around and you can fix almost any malfunction quickly and easily. Learn how the gun functions and you can be your own tech person very easily.

Plus, here at AO, you have a wealth of information and knowledge at your fingertips.

I have used mags since 1993, and have never been let done by any of my mags (classic, retro or emag) since that time. They are definately workhorses.

peewee
03-04-2005, 09:34 AM
First off welcome to AO!! :cheers: I dont have a tac one , I use a ULE but I also own an A5. In all honesty both guns are great in my opinion. personally I have had a lot more broken paint with my A5. I havent had any issues with the LVL X bolt in any mag . I was the install guy for a while around in my area did about 7 other mags on top of my 3. The instructions on fine tuning it are really easy to follow. Takes a few minutes. The Tac one ( any mag!) is as durable & dependable as the A5. Its a hard choice but never fear owning a mag fear being at the other end of it!!! ( thats my idea of smack talk , I know lame...) :tard:

kevdupuis
03-04-2005, 12:18 PM
First of all, welcome to AO.
Second ,If you want a more local hook up, call AGD and ask for Canadian dealers.
If you get one and have trouble and are looking for a Canadian connection I'm in Belleville ON. and would be happy to help.

Most issues with new mags deal with tuning the LVL 10 or ult (if you order it) or an oring and do require a break in of the lvl 10. I've just gone down a lvl 10 carrier size on my personal mag after a year and a half without a problem, and we haven't had a problem with either my wifes' X-mag or our Tac-one loaner.

MadPSIence
03-04-2005, 02:53 PM
thanks for the words but isn't it impossible to get a Tac-One without LX or X-Valve ?

automikey
03-05-2005, 12:50 AM
thanks for the words but isn't it impossible to get a Tac-One without LX or X-Valve ?

Not impossible, but if you want to do that you might as well buy the Tac new and sell off the x-valve and LX, then buy a classic valve off AO or ebay. I have a 68 classic valve with LX which works great.

..."getting another A-5 and modifying it (Flatline, Comp Air, R/T/ RVA etc...)"...

I did that, do you have any idea how much that will weigh when you are done? Make sure you have a caddy to carry your marker around for you. I have a Tac-One now, among other mags.

MadPSIence
03-05-2005, 07:39 AM
I'm not worried about weight.. I've used an A-5 before. My safety these is that the A-5 is indestructible.. never loses internal O-rings and requires no sweetspotting.. timing.. or anything really.

Anyways at the moment I am also looking at the System X NME. System X guns aren't looking to bad. It seems they have more problems with their cocker style guns. NME is based off of the Timmy so it's very tempting for only 895

gothsqwd
03-05-2005, 12:08 PM
If you're looking to spend $895, why not try the E-mag at only $100 more? It has the added advantage that if the electronics go down or your battery goes flat, you're not left with a useless piece of aluminum in your hands. The level ten is not actually hard to tune. people are constantly asking the same questions about tuning their LX here because they don't bother reading the directions and watching the video that came with the marker/valve. Also, with the e-mag you wouldn't need the ULT, since it already has the electro and Hybrid modes. And let me tell you, that hybrid mode is AWESOME!!! It combines the quick electronic firing with the reactivity of the xvalve. And you can get it in a TAC-1 model as well.

Boydster
03-05-2005, 01:17 PM
^ Or get a used one like me. I bought mine for 500 bucks. It is definitely worth it.

I had thought I liked my a-5 when I had it but let me tell you, it doesn't even compare to my ReTro mag. This thing is all mechanical, and is extremely fast. The RT on the A-5 isn't tournament legal anyways. One reason I got rid of the A-5 was because of its extreme weight. omg that thing had to have weighed +12 pounds when my tank was attached and my hopper was full. The ULE mag I have and is being sold for the emag is about 2 pounds.(No tank, no hopper)

I've never had a problem with the level ten bolt. Just tune it right and you're set for life. Have you seen the videos on the level ten bolt? Go to the homepage of this site and click on level ten. One of them was a vid of a rolled up dollar bill in the breach. The bolt bounced off of it and didn't even leave a dent on the bill. It's crazy...

DO NOT buy another Tippmann. Mags are the way to go. Trust me, I thought it was going to be confusing also, turned out to be extremely simple.

cpt
03-06-2005, 09:06 AM
It should come from the factory properly set up, I bought mine and just followed the CD. A little fiddling to get it properly set up and, 2 years and 60,000 paint balls later no chops and no problems. A little oil and you are good. And when you get that RT sweetspotted, there isn't much to keep up with it. Plus my favorite set up is a 14 boomstick. I can take out barrells from quite aways away.

Automagzrok
03-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Okay, this is weird first I'm about a month or so away from buying a RT ULE custom or a Tac-one much like you are,both of which come stock with L10 and X-valve trust me they do not mess up ever. They also come response enabled, response on a mag is perfect whereas the Tippy RT can enfuriate you :mad: what with the run-away that thing does.(fires 2-3 balls after you stop pulling the trigger). But seriously don't worry if the X-valve does fail which I can almost garuntee as long as you don't really screw with it you can just send it to AGD and the will re-tune it for you. And you can't go wrong with an X-mag, think steriod induced RT ULE with Electronics. But whatever thats my 2 cents.

txaggie08
03-06-2005, 09:31 PM
AGD has been the standard fr many many years in production quality. dont worry so much aboiut the xvalves and level tens. there every bit as hardy as tippmans. every gun has people who will have issues with it. it happens. ive had my mag for 7+ years(its almost ten now i believe) ......guess waht ive never rebuilt it or oiled it, and it still plugs along greaat.

Boydster
03-06-2005, 09:50 PM
^^^ Um, why haven't you oiled the gun in 7+ years?

txaggie08
03-06-2005, 10:50 PM
actualy i did oil it two years ago now that i think of it. never had any issues, never thought baout doing it

usagi_pj
03-07-2005, 12:33 PM
I bought my 68 Classic in 1991...played with it in stock condition for 5-6 years, then (inexplicably) took a 6 year hiatus from paintball. (beats self on head) Came to my senses, and got back into the game. The Automag was touchy after being neglected for so long, so I sent it in for a L10/X-Valve upgrade. It took a few games to break it in...

Played woodsball all day last Saturday. Muddy, wet...didn't chop a single ball, didn't even have a single barrel break. My barrel swab felt neglected.

I love my Mag
I love my Mag
:clap: