PDA

View Full Version : scuba tank holders, what do you use?

stondroopy
03-05-2005, 01:23 AM
hi all,I have 3 scuba tanks two 80 ci tanks and one 90 ci. I was wondering what you guys use to hold your scubas during transport. Mine will be in the back of my pickup laying down for easier use. I am thinking of using rails out of heavy duty file cabinet and make a shelf of sorts to make it easier to unload,and some foam cut to fit the tanks from banging into one another.

Now this will keep them from rolling around however in the unfortunate event that im in an accident, im affraid they will collide with the cab possibly going through the window and hitting whoever may be up there or worse the valve breaking and sending the tank off to wherever it wants to go.

So my question is this what is a safe,and portable way to transport my tanks?and be able to completely take out of my truck when im not using it?

punkncat
03-05-2005, 10:13 AM
The most ingenious thing I have seen was quite simple and cheap.

Go to the hardware store and get PVC pipe, elbows, glue and some of the pipe "insulation"(black foam used to cover pipes for winter) What you do basically is make a cradle that the tank just sits in. Not really supporting the weight of the tank, but around the sides of it to keep it from rolling. The ones I have seen used the foam down the sides as a padding and to keep the frame from moving, and a "saddle" that went across the front and back of the tank to keep the valve and bottom protected and hold it in the frame.

Use some imagination, and a friendly hardware store should have you hooked up.

Tunaman
03-05-2005, 10:38 AM
And make sure the valves have the approved covers screwed on before taking them on the road. DOT Regs say that the valves must be covered. Its a big fine too. ;)

JimmyBeam
03-05-2005, 10:57 AM
i think your thinking of the full size tanks. and how they have that screw in metal top that goes over the reg. the only thing we use is the rubber pice that fits over top portion.

Kallahan
03-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Make sure you keep them out of the sun.

punkncat
03-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Make sure you keep them out of the sun.

Won't matter. HPA is not temperature volatile.

jewie27
03-06-2005, 01:37 AM
I'm a certified Padi Rescue Diver and also work for one of the largest SCUBA retailers in CA.

I personally use the foam carriers from Trident diving equipment.

Tank Holders (http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/tanks_and_weights/the_best_of_everything_gear_guide_2003:_tank_carri ers)

You can also go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy your own rope and PVC pipe to make your own.

jewie27
03-06-2005, 01:40 AM
Here's their website Trident tank accessories (http://www.tridentdive.com/page27.htm)