PDA

View Full Version : Problems with brand new AGD Automag ULE Custom with X valve

gotgemini2000
03-05-2005, 06:51 PM
I purchased an Automag ULE Custom with an X valve and a light trigger pull kit. When I received the gun I immediately screwed a 3000psi 48ci tank into it only to discover that it does not work. I then called AGD tech support and was informed that I needed to change out a part in the X-valve which I consequently did. Afterwards, the gun worked extremely erratically, it wouldn't cock back every 2 or 3 shots. I finally decided to send my gun to my local paintball shop which is a quite reputable shop. They were unable to set the gun up correctly and told me so. Consequently, a week later when I received it it still would not fire. What should I do with the gun? It is supposed to be the most reliable gun out there that is extremely easy to work on and fast, and yet out of the box it doesn't work. Please give me some advice as quickly as possible as I have already missed two weekends of playing. Furthermore, my brother ordered an adrenalin impulse which is a more complicated electronic gun and yet out of the box it performed very consistently and was cheaper.

jacobeid
03-05-2005, 06:54 PM
give more information. What did AGD tell you to do? I'm guessing that the Level 10 is not set up right and he has a bolt stick?

gotgemini2000
03-05-2005, 07:11 PM
AGD told me that the brass fitting in the bolt was the wrong one and needed to be changed out for another one (the gun came with a LVl 10 bolt kit). Specifically, AGD told me to change the brass fitting with I believe 1 line out for one with 1 line and a divit/dot. I did this, however, after doing so the gun would only shoot every 2 out of 3 shots (approx). Furthermore, every third approx shot the gun would start leaking air through the bolt. However, after sending the gun to my local paintball shop, the gun simply leaks air through the bolt and although there is pressure on the trigger it refuses to shoot. I know that my paintball shop is fairly reputable and by no means wrecked anything in the gun, however, they did fool around with the fittings in the valve to no avail.

Thanks for your help

Tunaman
03-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Send me the marker. I'll fix it. Hurry if you want it back fast. ;)

mihanikos
03-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Wow, this sounds all to familiar. And everyone was all over me when I complained. I feel your pain. Was told it was "user error" There is no excuse to this, your gun should fire right out of the box. Seems to me that AGD is just slapping parts together and shipping them out. Maybe they shoud start putting a card that states some assembly required, or after receiving gun, ship to Tunaman to be properly assembled.

Tunaman
03-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Well AGD is obviously pretty busy right now so I will take some of the overload to help them out. I am sure it is something silly wrong with that valve and in 5 minutes it will be all fixed. Stuff happens. One or 2 out of THOUSANDS of satified customers is very acceptable. They all can't come out perfect. There is some element of mechanical tolerance involved.

mihanikos
03-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Do a search and you'll see it'smore than 1 or 2. Hell 2 come from my famiy alone! And if wondering yes I did buy direct from AGD (I live 30 min away) and no I did not receive a chrono slip. Myself and my family have been loyal to them since their start. My father use to go to "Team Nite" at AGD at the old facility if anyone remembers those days. My point is that AGD customers are more loyal than any other and we r being let down.

gotgemini2000
03-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Tunaman,

I believe that it would be cheaper and easier to send the gun to AGD however you might be a good alternative. However, Do you think you could tell me how I might fix myself? I'd rather not ship my brand new gun away when there is a possibility that I might be able to fix it myself.

Thanks

Tunaman
03-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Take the entire valve apart and inspect every oring for lubrication and fit.
Use the stock on/off till you get it going.
Make sure the on/off pin is lubed and slides freely.
Make sure the level 10 carrier oring(inner) fits snug on the bolt and is not too tight.
Oil the outside of the L10 carrier oring(outer).
Remove and lube the reg pin and orings.
Use the short spring to start.
Make sure the trigger rod is not touching the back of the trigger when gassed up.
The valve tolerences are very tight as pertaining to the oring fit. No need to go putting new orings in everytime it doesnt work. We are trying to LOOSEN up the fit with lube and break-in.
I can teach you how to overhaul the valve on the phone if you are available tomorrow. Just let me know.

stop whining buy a mag
03-05-2005, 10:08 PM
To my knowledge, AGD sets up the Level 10 on the X-Valve so it will have the best chance of working and they also do shoot it over the chrono to make sure it at least shoots. You need to adjust your level 10 once you get it. Chances are it will not be working PERFECTLY, but most of the time it is good enough to play. Some guns are different and are a little bit more picky when it comes to the level ten. It's like trying to shoot a DM4 out of the box when you live in Canada (not making fun of Canadians) and it is December. Everything will need some tweaking.

gotgemini2000
03-05-2005, 10:35 PM
When I spend close to 500 dollars on a marker it should by all means work. As I said, my brother purchased an impulse which outshoots most automags and came direct from the factory ready to fire. Anyway, I don't want to argue about the quality of these markers, I just want to get mine fixed. Anyway, what spacer setup have people used that has worked well? And which one is the one that comes stock from the factory? I believe that the paintball shop that I sent my gun to switched out one of the spacers for another and I am not sure which one came stock. Thanks for the help

BlackVCG
03-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Before you even take apart anything, make sure your tank has over 2000psi in it.

Next, make sure the field strip screw is not over-torqued. Hand tight and then just a nudge more with an allen wrench will suffice.

After that, gas up the gun and tighten the velocity adjuster. If that stops the leak and the gun starts firing, then the problem is the velocity was too low and thus the valve would not seal.

If that doesn't fix the problem, take out the valve and unscrew the power tube tip with a small cresent wrench or an end wrench. Using the field strip screw or a ball end allen wrench (works best) stick it down in the power tube and pull out the carrier. Observe the number of dots/rings on the carrier. Go down one half size. If you have one line and 3 dots around the carrier it's a 1.5. To go to a 1.0 would be to go to a carrier with one line and no dots. Lines are full sizes and dots are half sizes.

This should get the valve to seal.

To be honest it sounds like the velocity just isn't high enough on the gun. It's quite possible that the gun has just sat after being assembled and things are "tight." They do set them up that way so they break in over time and don't leak right out of the box. It sounds like it wasn't leaking until you increased the carrier size or the proshop you sent it to got their hands on it. Your leaking problem is a result of the carrier size and an easy fix just follow the directions above.

Remember, increase the velocity and make sure the field strip screw isn't over tightened and your gun should be working fine.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems and I hope you don't get too down about them. It does happen from time to time and I can assure you that gun will last years beyond that Impulse your brother got.

BlackVCG
03-05-2005, 10:38 PM
gotgemini2000 - Do you have AIM? If so, IM me and I'll get you up and running. BlackVCG is my SN.

gotgemini2000
03-06-2005, 12:22 AM
Through Black VCG's help I have fixed my automag and it appears to be running quite smoothly. Obviously these guns are very well made yet I think that especially during the break in period they are very hard to set up correctly. Thanks once again for everyone's help

jewie27
03-06-2005, 12:59 AM
I was just about to tell you the same exact thing that BlackVCG just said. I was thinking it was a carrier leak and a velocity problem.