PDA

View Full Version : ReTro valve and CO2/ Emags and water

Boydster
03-05-2005, 08:04 PM
So I have that ReTro valves do not like CO2. That's fine with me, I have an N2 tank. But what will actually happen if CO2 is put in it? What will break? (I'm knowledgeable with mags, I'm just a little curious about this.)

One other question, say I'm playing with my new emag and it starts to rain. Do I need to run back to the rest area and put the gun away? I don't want to break a 200 dollar board.... What would happen if I kept on playing? No worries?

Thanks for the help.

jewie27
03-06-2005, 01:16 AM
So I have that ReTro valves do not like CO2. That's fine with me, I have an N2 tank. But what will actually happen if CO2 is put in it? What will break? (I'm knowledgeable with mags, I'm just a little curious about this.)

One other question, say I'm playing with my new emag and it starts to rain. Do I need to run back to the rest area and put the gun away? I don't want to break a 200 dollar board.... What would happen if I kept on playing? No worries?

Thanks for the help.

Co2 will just freeze up your o-rings and you ReTro Valve won't function properly. It won't permanently damage your valve, so no worries. The only reason is because the RT valve charges so fast that liquid Co2 doesn't have a chance to turn to gas.

If water doesn't get on the circuit board, it should be ok. If you are really worried about it, don't take the E-Mag out in the rain.

Dayspring
03-06-2005, 12:51 PM
You'll get 2-4 shots out of the ReTro valve before it sucks in liquid CO2. It'll start to piss CO2 out of every seal b/c they weren't designed to hold liquid CO2 at that temp.

jewie27
03-06-2005, 08:20 PM
You'll get 2-4 shots out of the ReTro valve before it sucks in liquid CO2. It'll start to piss CO2 out of every seal b/c they weren't designed to hold liquid CO2 at that temp.

Exactly what I mean, but in different words. Good way to put it Dayspring.

I'm just mean that the valve charges too fast for liquid Co2 to expand to a gas. The liquid freezes the o-rings which causes sputtering and leaking.

Boydster
03-06-2005, 08:22 PM
But what if it has expanded before it even reaches the valve?

Dayspring
03-07-2005, 09:46 AM
It won't. That's just how fast the valve will recharge. It literally sucks the gas in from the tank. It just doesn't have time to phase change from liquid to gas.

elprup
03-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Won't an anti-siphon or running a remote setup cure that problem?

Dayspring
03-09-2005, 09:31 AM
What aren't we understanding about the word "no" the "N" or the "O"?

NoForts4Me
03-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Try this:

Classive/Minimag Valves and CO2 = :)

Retro/Retro Pro/Emag/X-Mag Valves and C02 = :nono:

Now sticky ;)

athomas
03-09-2005, 04:49 PM
The problem with CO2 is the temperature and pressure that it changes state. When a gas decompresses it cools. When it recompresses, it heats. The problem with retro valves and CO2 is the the gas decompresses so quickly that it loses too much heat. Some of the CO2 becomes condensation due to the lower temperature and acts like liquid on the insides of the valve including the o-rings. The problem is that it can't fully regain its heat fast enough to prevent the o-rings from "freezing". Once the o-rings "freeze" they no longer seal and the leak magnifies itself.

Boydster
03-09-2005, 04:58 PM
What aren't we understanding about the word "no" the "N" or the "O"?
The "N" part lol.

I understand fully that CO2 can't be used with 'em. The only thing I was asking at the beginning was what would break. Those things are simple, I just didn't see what'd happen. I guess I was wondering if it was permanent damage, like it blowing up lol (I know it's impossible), or not.

NoForts4Me
03-09-2005, 06:06 PM
I understand fully that CO2 can't be used with 'em. The only thing I was asking at the beginning was what would break. Those things are simple, I just didn't see what'd happen. I guess I was wondering if it was permanent damage, like it blowing up lol (I know it's impossible), or not.
The only damage might be to some o-rings or seals, but that may not even happen. I've frosted my Classic over before (using a tank w/o anti-siphon), and after it thawed, had no problems, so I assume it would be the same on the Retro. Safety is the main problem (besides freezing up) because of the hot shots it will produce.

athomas
03-09-2005, 06:09 PM
The o-rings may or may not be damaged. I doubt there would be any physical damage to the valve.

automikey
03-09-2005, 06:29 PM
The problem with CO2 is the temperature and pressure that it changes state. When a gas decompresses it cools. When it recompresses, it heats. The problem with retro valves and CO2 is the the gas decompresses so quickly that it loses too much heat. Some of the CO2 becomes condensation due to the lower temperature and acts like liquid on the insides of the valve including the o-rings. The problem is that it can't fully regain its heat fast enough to prevent the o-rings from "freezing". Once the o-rings "freeze" they no longer seal and the leak magnifies itself.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that so well.

temilotzin
03-09-2005, 07:00 PM
If you have one of the old agd ,screw in 12 gram co2, quick changers and use it on your RT it willl work fine. I've done it before just to see if it would still work and it did. So if you just have to shoot co2, and can find an old quick change unit, give it a shot.

Temilotzin