PDA

View Full Version : Just a reminder, not all tourney players

Carbon
03-07-2005, 07:18 PM
are jerks.

Granted, regionally the ratio of knuckleheads to cool tourney players may differ. And in all honesty, the jerkiest tourney players are teenagers who learned from jerky older players.

SummaryJudgement
03-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Word!

mag88888
03-07-2005, 07:22 PM
word! seripously true. some tourney players just want to be cool, others are just awesome.

punkncat
03-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Just curious as to where this came from?

The field I play regularly is frequented my many tourny players/teams. Actually the field is owned by a shop owner/tourney team captain. These guys are super ready to lend a hand, offer some good advice, or just let you hang with them. Probably the best thing to happen to my and many of the local players game. We have all benefitted (sp?) from their presence.

Lohman446
03-07-2005, 07:34 PM
are jerks.

Granted, regionally the ratio of knuckleheads to cool tourney players may differ. And in all honesty, the jerkiest tourney players are teenagers who learned from jerky older players.

You are extremely right. Very few of us are the jerks that tournament players are made out to be. Its just those of us that are... are really jerks

I normally don't use the word jerks.. I replace it with a better less forum friendly word - but Im ok with it

Duzzy
03-07-2005, 07:40 PM
This really isn't that much of a surprise. Just like all paintballers aren't out on the street shooting little kids in the eyes... (gasp!)

People focus on the negative, it is a fact, albiet a sad fact of life. The only thing to do is point them to cool tourney players and the tourney players to steer clear from, if you do nothing, well... Then you have to live with a problem that you will not help prevent.

trevorjk
03-07-2005, 08:17 PM
im a jerk-wad :cry:

BeaverEater
03-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Whenever I go to the field, I try to help, and coach the younger players. Many of them still come up to me when i go to the field and ask for more advice.

Carbon
03-07-2005, 08:31 PM
frealls tho, i'll see a young tourny player, whos really good and i think, "man i hope this kids' classiness and "proffesionalism" grows at the same rate as his skills. Because you look those people and go, wow this person is only gonna get better the more he plays and really the only downfall will be his attitude off and on the field.

Also on a personal note, approachabilty is golden.

BD_Paintball
03-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Whenever I go to the field, I try to help, and coach the younger players. Many of them still come up to me when i go to the field and ask for more advice.

i do the same thing when i play woodsball. i try to help out the new kids, not that im the best but im better then other people there and most people who think they are the best player ever wont even talk to the new kids. i have meet alot of cool tourny players but i have also meet some not so cool ones. like ones who talk trash before you play and then when you play them and they get crushed they just make excuses about why they lose. its annoying

68magOwner
03-07-2005, 08:53 PM
of the 4 local fields, one is the designated pbn/jerk player field, not fun, so much wiping/cheating in rec ball there, but, i do play a toureny season there (and upset alot of agg kids by winning) it seems that the better players at a feild highly influence how the newer players play, all the rental kids and noobs wipe at that 1 field because they see the tourney kids do it in rec ball there. But, for the most part, not bad.

CrawforDry
03-07-2005, 09:09 PM
I teach young players not to wipe early on. If I have an angle and I hit a player and I see him wipe it, thats why my marker does 20 bps, I usually only use a couple shots when I have a good angle, but if I see some agg kid with a lame jersey wipe I'm going to make them wipe a gallon of paint.

arsonpaintball06
03-07-2005, 09:09 PM
i've played with most of the guys from AGD pride at PB sams.........i have to say all those guys are great tourney players, willing to chat with the little fish, and offer help. Good bunch of guys

tony3
03-07-2005, 09:10 PM
I can say, that most of the guys I know, almost all of which are tourney players aren't jerks at all. They can scream and yell on the field, just because it gets intense, but outside the field they are completely nice.

gc82000
03-07-2005, 09:12 PM
There is not a lot of that on Guam. The teams here are pretty much cool with each other and interact with each other alomst every week. And now with the league gon g on there is a lot of comradery btwn the teams, plus a lot of teasing from the sidelines. But it is all in fun and jest.

phantomhitman
03-07-2005, 09:14 PM
i thnk this thread came out of people complaining about the "tourney scene". the fast guns, the wasting of paint, the need to shoot that fast, the "arrogance" of "tourney players" that is seen at their field.

it is very stupid to lump everyone under that "tourney player" umbrella. some people are idiots, i have played with and against them in every form of paintball. if you go up to any tourney team they wold be more than willing to help you out with anything you need. i guess only the bad apple are seen though.......

Carbon
03-07-2005, 09:17 PM
I understand behavior on the field doesnt necessarily transfer off the field. But, sometimes you can just tell. Sometimes its the difference between yelling, "you're gone you're gone, get out, ref check him reff, on his hopper and feedneck" or "you're gone your're gone, get the F out, get the f outta here, mother F'er get the f out"

you know what i mean.

tippmannsniper-
03-07-2005, 09:59 PM
pretty much all the teenagers (16 and 17) i meet at woodsball and tourny ball are jerks

BD_Paintball
03-07-2005, 10:21 PM
pretty much all the teenagers (16 and 17) i meet at woodsball and tourny ball are jerks

im a nice guy. but i guess i dont fall in that group since im 20 :ninja: :ninja:

JaredMeier
03-07-2005, 10:24 PM
I agree with the post that said "the jerkiest tourney players are teenagers who learned from jerky older players."

WenULiVeUdiE
03-07-2005, 10:40 PM
One field near me is nothing like that. The owner has done alot to pick great players with great attitudes. Everytime I go there everyone is watching out for eachother. Giving eachother advice, picking up other people's garbage or lost parts.

bull
03-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Theres good players and bad player in all the ways we play, woods, tourney, scenario, rec, etc. The one thing I have found is the way the field is run is whats sets the tone. There is a major field near us that just has a bad rep, and when their players come to our field they bring it with them. I just play the best ball I can.

Carbon
03-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Theres good players and bad player in all the ways we play, woods, tourney, scenario, rec, etc. The one thing I have found is the way the field is run is whats sets the tone. There is a major field near us that just has a bad rep, and when their players come to our field they bring it with them. I just play the best ball I can.

WHOAH! that is so true. Ive heard people play at the field i play on and say "man, everyone is nice around here, its well worth the drive"

Also our field owner is a pretty mellow yet, an enthusiastic fella. This goes for the staff roster as well. Not to get all existentiall and hippe on ya but, the cool vibes are definately there. Also, the tournament players, although they segregate themself from the walkons (as they should) are genereally very nice.

Its kinda cool when you hear and newer kids say, "i wanna play with tourny guys".

xXHavokXx
03-07-2005, 11:40 PM
but tourney players shoot fast and i cant use my vietnam era chuch hatchock snipering techniques and hand to hand jungle fighting style.

Lohman446
03-07-2005, 11:42 PM
but tourney players shoot fast and i cant use my vietnam era chuch hatchock snipering techniques and hand to hand jungle fighting style.

You know how negatively some people respond to hand to hand combat in paintball. :D I do :eek:

Carbon
03-07-2005, 11:42 PM
hehehe. i have a paintbrush and magic marker for all those up close and personal/wet work eliminations.

phantomhitman
03-08-2005, 07:55 AM

LMAO, GREAT ONE.
/hidesintheshadows :ninja:

Maggot6
03-08-2005, 05:38 PM
I find it interesting, due to my schools nature (and everyone elses probably) I am not to friendly to random people I do not know. But after I went paintballing, and saw the "tourney" jerks I saw how I was. And now When I go to paintball, I am always trying to talk to kids, and give them tips, and help them, as well encourage them and the like. As well, I like talking to the paintball parents so that they don't feel their kid is in a harmful environment. So I give them an idea that we are good people...And of course, when the noobs spit help in my face I make sure to bunker them...

FSU_Paintball
03-08-2005, 06:22 PM
The one thing I have found is the way the field is run is whats sets the tone.

I never thought about it before, but I think you are absolutely correct. It makes a huge difference.

A little OT, but here's my story of revenge on wipers for the week:

I was at a 3-man tourney this weekend. Off the break I hit a bunker at the 50, came over the top, shot one man, turned right and shot a second guy as he shot me. I saw the paint break on him clear as day (I was only about 20 feet away and he was open to me). It was definitely a mutual so I walked off the field. Imagine my anger as I realized that the other guy was still playing. Since I was dead the refs weren't paying a single bit of attention to me.

Well, the wiper's teammate went down, and suddenly it was 2 on 1... one of my teammates got around him and shot him... the kid turned and shot my teammate.

Now, my teammate Matt is a tough dude. Getting hit doesn't phase him much. So he decided to keep firing until the other guy quit playing on.

So he did... he put quite a beating on the wiper. Eventually the wiper couldn't take it any more and quit firing, so Matt quit shooting him. At this point, the wiper was hurting quite a bit and fell backwards onto his butt... and straight into a HUGE line of fire coming from my OTHER teammate.

It was SO worth him playing on just to see the revenge exacted upon him.

tippmannsniper-
03-08-2005, 06:34 PM
im a nice guy. but i guess i dont fall in that group since im 20 :ninja: :ninja:

ya you are, but the others you hang out with their are :cuss: :cuss:

(especially the guy with the matrix and green mag, dont tell him i said so though ;) )

tony3
03-08-2005, 07:25 PM
I've met plenty of older guys that are complete jerks aswell as kids my own age that are jerks. Lumping age groups of players together is pretty stupid, I doubt anyone would call me a jerk at the field. I can say I help atleast 1 or 2 people a day fix their guns.

tippmannsniper-
03-08-2005, 09:10 PM
^^ beat their :cuss: 's

same here im not a jerk at all if i see someone with a gun problem i fix (i can fix just about any gun other than a dm4,timmy,or angel i usually fix 2 or 3 guns a day. what do you think i do with my gun at night, i tinker)