PDA

View Full Version : New to mags, need some guidance

cra2y86
03-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Well, this is my first AO post and I'm sure it's far from the last. I'm new to the world of mags, but not blow-forwards. I currently own a 1/1 factory anno'd ICD Desert Fox, which I love dearly, but I am frustrated with the lack of support for it. That said, I am selling it and building a mag. I've searched and read the "building mag" threads and I still have one question. What is the best mag to start out with? I don't plan on ever needing an X-Valve (I'm neither on a team nor play tournies), but I'd like to end up with a very respectable mag. Should I start out with a classic or a mini? RT? I plan on eventually getting an Intelliframe and ULE body. I'm most confused about internals... what can be used with what... so that I don't end up having to re-trace my steps. Or would it be better and more cost-effective to build part-by-part? Thanks for any help in advance!

-cra2y

Lohman446
03-08-2005, 10:03 PM
As long as you do not get involved wtih Classic RT's (the exception to mags) basically all mags work with all mag rails with all mag frames with all mag valves etc - you can mix and match as long as we have no Classic RT parts in that mix.

But, as Rogue stated, you are much better figuring out what you want, and talking to him, or one of the other dealers on AO, about a package price, it will save you a lot of money. If you want to build it part by part the new offering of the classic by AGD is a good starting point, but as you upgrade... well, when your done you will have likely replaced every part except the rail and foregrip, and with the newest offerings perhaps both of those.

peewee
03-08-2005, 10:09 PM
For a classic go to http://www.whitewolfairsmithing.com/. Best deal on a new classic. Maybe the rumor I heard about the classic coming back wasnt ...... ;)

cra2y86
03-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the help! This is hypothetical, but if I could get an Automag for $150 and a Minimag for $150, which would be advantageous and why?

jewie27
03-09-2005, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the help! This is hypothetical, but if I could get an Automag for $150 and a Minimag for $150, which would be advantageous and why?

The Minimag is shorter and just a hair lighter weight. Probably not noticeable. They both use the same exact parts. They shoot the same.

txaggie08
03-09-2005, 06:47 AM
the only difference is the body and a little weight. you dont have to buy special parts for them. illd get the mini personaly just cause i like the way those bodys look. i guess it depends on what body you like and what guns in better shape

Dryden
03-09-2005, 09:35 AM
If they're the same price, take the MiniMag. It has a better warranty and therefore a marginally higher resale value (for those who bother to look).

The Classic valves have little "stars" laser engraved on them specifying how many times the valves can be shipped to the factory for warranty service with the repair fee waived (you're still responsible for shipping charges). An Automag Classic valve has one star, a MiniMag has four.

Dayspring
03-09-2005, 12:21 PM
An RT valve = an Xvalve.

And just b/c you don't play on a team or in tournies doesn't mean having a very fast recharging valve is not needed.

Well, this is my first AO post and I'm sure it's far from the last. I'm new to the world of mags, but not blow-forwards. I currently own a 1/1 factory anno'd ICD Desert Fox, which I love dearly, but I am frustrated with the lack of support for it. That said, I am selling it and building a mag. I've searched and read the "building mag" threads and I still have one question. What is the best mag to start out with? I don't plan on ever needing an X-Valve (I'm neither on a team nor play tournies), but I'd like to end up with a very respectable mag. Should I start out with a classic or a mini? RT? I plan on eventually getting an Intelliframe and ULE body. I'm most confused about internals... what can be used with what... so that I don't end up having to re-trace my steps. Or would it be better and more cost-effective to build part-by-part? Thanks for any help in advance!

-cra2y

cra2y86
03-09-2005, 08:27 PM
An RT valve = an Xvalve.

And just b/c you don't play on a team or in tournies doesn't mean having a very fast recharging valve is not needed.

Very true, but I would end up regretting dropping that amount of cash on an X-Valve for the little amount I play.

Thanks for the help with the minimag q (and everything in general), I've decided to buy one used and start from there.

-cra2y86

p.s. AO is the friendliest forum I've ever participated in. I guess it helps that I started out on PBN...

personman
03-09-2005, 08:38 PM
The Minimag is shorter and just a hair lighter weight. Probably not noticeable. They both use the same exact parts. They shoot the same.
Actually its the automag that is shorter and wieghs less. The minimag has the 'barrel shroud' that some people like but I've personally never cared for.

The best deal out there IMO is the RT ULE custom or one of roguefactors packages. If thats in your price range then it's defently the way to go.

If you've got your heart set on a classic, that's cool too, just keep in mind that their resale is very bad and its only getting worse. Try not to dump too much money in to them thinking you can just get it all back by selling if you need to, because it wont happen :)

cra2y86
03-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Actually its the automag that is shorter and wieghs less. The minimag has the 'barrel shroud' that some people like but I've personally never cared for.

The best deal out there IMO is the RT ULE custom or one of roguefactors packages. If thats in your price range then it's defently the way to go.

If you've got your heart set on a classic, that's cool too, just keep in mind that their resale is very bad and its only getting worse. Try not to dump too much money in to them thinking you can just get it all back by selling if you need to, because it wont happen :)

I dont have the cash to drop all at once, I'm hoping to get 250 for my fox (which probably won't happen). I dont want to spend more than $100 on the initial gun. If the only differences between the mini and classic are the body and the number of rebuilds, it would make more sense for me to go classic. The body's gonna go eventually anyway, and I've always been the kind of guy to do anything short of machining and anno on my own equipment (and do it well).

On a sidenote: Has anyone ever shot both the desert fox and a mag?

-cra2y86

jewie27
03-09-2005, 10:06 PM
I've never tried a Desert Fox but I know they are very similiar to the Automag. I'd be interested in test shooting it. Did ICD get the idea for their blow-foward from AGD?

Is it the same exact design? I've never seen one in person.

cra2y86
03-09-2005, 10:22 PM
I've never tried a Desert Fox but I know they are very similiar to the Automag. I'd be interested in test shooting it. Did ICD get the idea for their blow-foward from AGD?

Is it the same exact design? I've never seen one in person.

This is mine:
http://www.geocities.com/cra2y86/fox.gif

Quoting the best 'fox resource on the net...http://www.cognitivevent.com/icd/fox_main.html#intro

vs. the mag:
"1. Field strip the receiver and bolt in 15 seconds
2. Very simple regulator with no On/Off valve!
3. Low pressure design (360psi v. 480psi for 'Mag)..."

the regulator: http://www.cognitivevent.com/icd/fox_tweaks_reg.html

I'm 99% sure that ICD got the idea from AGD. The 'fox was introduced after the mag had een out for awhile. It is a beautiful gun to shoot; it feels wonderfully mech (if that makes sense.) I wish I could go further with the gun, but I've reached a dead end.:cry: It seems that an automag is the answer. :D