PDA

View Full Version : Broadband!!!

udtseal
11-18-2001, 02:09 AM
I GOT BROADBAND!!!!!!!! OMG ITS THE BEST!!!!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY!! BEEN WAITING TWO YEARS FOR THIS!!!!!! FINALLY!

Bonx0007
11-18-2001, 02:10 AM
I love mine I have road runner. Go cable modem!!
what did you get?

udtseal
11-18-2001, 07:28 AM
hehe awsome! I have "comcast high speed internet" cable modem service. Its so great. 120 meg file in 26 minutes!!!!! Unreal. I stayed up till 5am downloading stuff, now its 8:28am and Im back on here. im so stupid....

Tunaman
11-18-2001, 07:42 AM
You are not stupid...you are addicted! Like me!:D :D :D

Bonx0007
11-18-2001, 02:19 PM
We should join Broadband Anonymous!

Failure
11-18-2001, 04:20 PM
Congrats, broadband is an absolute must have. I am streaming music as we speak, just got done playing starcraft while streaming, its great. Comcast service 'may' go down for a bit, not likely, because excite is going bankrupt last time I read. Its ok though. I think AT&T will be picking up where they left off though.

XspyX
11-18-2001, 05:05 PM
Feel the power my friend...feel the power!

Muhahahaha

FooTemps
11-18-2001, 05:22 PM
MY BROADBAND SUCKS!! I'm using att @home broadband because it's the only one available in my area. IT SUCKS! I can barely get my speed past 50 kb/s while my friends get 300 kb/s.

Flamebo
11-18-2001, 05:46 PM
I've had broadband a couple years now... I tried a 56k recently and I felt myself getting older as I attempted to surf the net. I can't believe I once used a 2400 baud modem. And that people were once shocked by the technology of a 1200 baud modem... Yikes.

udtseal
11-18-2001, 06:06 PM
Sorry to hear that Foo, I have @home and I rip along at 250KB/sec or higher. I love it. Been playin quake, CS and Battle Realms and Age of Empires II all day. Now all I need to find is a good place to trade some music. I missed the whole napster era unfortunatly. Anyone know of anyplace good? ;) :D

FooTemps
11-18-2001, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by udtseal
Sorry to hear that Foo, I have @home and I rip along at 250KB/sec or higher. I love it. Been playin quake, CS and Battle Realms and Age of Empires II all day. Now all I need to find is a good place to trade some music. I missed the whole napster era unfortunatly. Anyone know of anyplace good? ;) :D

DANGIT! WHY CAN'T I HAVE THAT GOOD OF CONNECTION!?!?!? WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?

Failure
11-18-2001, 07:01 PM
I do, Ill PM ya.

boggerman
11-18-2001, 10:35 PM
I am hopelessly addicted to broadband, too! I have AT&T, it rips! I used to only check email/surf one or two times a week with dialup, now I do it one or two times a day(help me, please!). I was using the computer at my parents house this afternoon, they live way out of town and can't DSL or cable and can't get a phone modem connection any faster than 26.6! Click download, go wash the car, come back and check it, go do some laundry, check it, go cook dinner, you get the idea. For music downloads, try www.limewire.com.

bsusigep18
11-19-2001, 01:35 AM
Well, Att @home users...i happen to be an @home customer service rep, so if you ever have to call in, which i can guaruntee you will, i might just be me you're talkin to.

Foo- you're 50k is actually decent speeds, is it at any certain time of the day? Find out if other people in your immediate area are having the same comparable speeds. If that is so, give us a call, and complain. We can't actually do anything for you, but if you complain enough then your nodes should get balanced and your speeds should go up. 50k might be a problem somewhere, but i can't diagnose that from here...i'd say try and get ahold of me, but that would take a while considering we usually have about 600 agents on the phone waiting for our 6 million customers. supposedly att bought out more markets and that number is jumping to 15 million, or something like that...not cool.

udt-congrats, im jealous, i don't even have cable service in my area, att isn't even servicable for 150 miles around us, amazing that they have their nationwide call center in an area that doesn't have the service. if you guys have an particular problems, let me know, i might be able to help. i won't be working there much longer anyways. :D

bornl33t
11-23-2001, 05:48 PM
I HATE @home. I was one of the first ppl to sign up for their service here in Ankeny and it's been hell. I got signed up and used to the fast connection. So now I don;t want to go back but in the past 6 moths I've had 2 increase in service charges. one for 6$ a month and last month it was another 10$ a month. Then to top it off latly there have been days when I ping CS servers and I can't find a single one under 100. I'm not shure if there are THAT many ppl online at 4-6 am but it makes for a lag-fest. I as soon as something comes along that anything close to this speed and a little cheaper I'm gone for good. DSL is the way to go anyway.

Also from what I understand a major University in Germany is working on a connention that works simular to DSL but utilized Power lines!!!!! THAT will be the best! because there are 3 cables that can carry the signal, powerlines are EVERYWHERE and constantly maintnanced and they are THICK! I can't wait till they start to market this new technoloy. Of course Microsofts new ISP satilite network might be the next thing to monitor us ppl. I hope they loose those darn satilies to astroids or something.

Failure
11-23-2001, 06:08 PM
heat, you are also on anandtech right? Your name and quote look familiar.

virus
11-23-2001, 09:21 PM
aww.. the joys of the 1200 and 2400 baud modems...... those were the dayz....

i remember my first modem on my old trs80 model 2..... a nice 300 baud modem..... of couse ya never realized how slow it was till ya tried d/lin anything other then text files....
great now i feel old and i had that back in either 82 or 83.... ok now i really feel old

and b4 anyone asks i'm only 27 going on 2
still doesnt help any