PDA

View Full Version : How much do you read?

CaptaiN_JacK
03-13-2005, 07:11 PM
The question is simple, How much do you read? Answer in hours or books, doesn't matter. I'm just curious. Maybe say the genres you like to read, a favorite author or two, whatever.

I try and get through a novel every week, sometimes more, sometimes less. Right now I am on a John Grisham binge, but am trying to read some of the more classic books.

personman
03-13-2005, 07:17 PM
I used to read stuff like Robert Jordan and Tom Clancy when I was homeschooled. Then I realised I had no friends and came to public school :p

No time to read now. I have to read for my lit class but that was last semester. They forced us to read the crappiest books..

Never read Jane Eyre, it sucks.

The last book I read on my free time was a parody of Harry potter.. it was pretty funny.. about a year ago.

AcemanPB
03-13-2005, 07:17 PM
I try to read a little here and there. Probably on average I read 30-45 minutes a day.

ascetic1
03-13-2005, 07:27 PM
yeah i read about 30 mins a day, homework and daily tasks eat up my time, so is life...

Bear_Claw
03-13-2005, 07:35 PM
Last novel i have read was about 2 years ago lol. I dont like reading really anything.

I do on the other hand read quiet a bit from automotive magazines and Truck/Coach Diesel Mechanixs texts.

mcveighr
03-13-2005, 07:47 PM
We have to read a half hour every day at school, generally I just read cycle world, because a novel makes me too tired for last class. Other than that, I'd say about 6 hours a week.

Excluding the internet of course.

I just started Jon Stewarts book, its kinda funny so far.

Python14
03-13-2005, 07:58 PM
I am a sad case. I have lost pretty much all zest for reading. I mostly have my highschool to blame for being so concerned with reading something "appropiate" that they left us nothing but bad stories about racial tolerance and such.

So in short, I read maybe a good a year on my own.....if that. The only books I really own are
Beowulf
Grendel
The Cay
Oh the Places you'll go

Probably my four favorites.

Maksimus54
03-13-2005, 08:03 PM
I read probably about 2 hours a day. I enjoy just about anything. Love Clancy, Asimov, Pratchett, Grisham, and a bunch of other authors I can't think of right now.

SAW
03-13-2005, 08:03 PM
I usually read Clancy, Griffin, Ludlum, King between class and work. About 3-5 hours a week.

Sooky
03-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Several hours a day.

But its all required. Almost every course I'm taking this semester requires a rather large reading done for every class. I enjoy reading philosophy, but sometimes its tough to keep up.

Eagle
03-13-2005, 10:48 PM
My reading varies, but on average, I'd say I read about an hour a day. Favorite writers include Tom Clancy, Dan Brown, Dale Brown, and Edgar Rice Burroughs.

paintbattler
03-13-2005, 10:57 PM
i never read

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
03-13-2005, 11:10 PM
I try to read a book a week. But it is usually less although lately I have been doing good.

slateman
03-13-2005, 11:40 PM
A lot. I'm a history/Psychology double major. I read about 20 hours a week conservatively. During the summer I curb it back, but read stuff I like. A little fiction too :D

WickeDKlowN
03-13-2005, 11:47 PM
The last book I read was the last Harry Potter book that came out. And that was like 2 year ago. OTher than that, the only reading I do is on the internet.

tropical_fishy
03-14-2005, 12:08 AM
2-3 books a week, if I have my way. This week I finished War Trash by Ha Jin, Anthem by Ayn Rand, I am the Cheese (what a weird book) and about 1/4 of Girl with a Pearl Earring and Lolita.

Some books just hang around my house forever and never get read... it makes me sad.

FooTemps
03-14-2005, 12:09 AM
i read what catches my attention... if i don't really look for books then I don't really read. When I do read though I usually read between one to three books a week.

DaveEllis
03-14-2005, 12:42 AM
Lately an hour or so a night.

This year I've read

Me Talk Pretty One Day-David Sedaris
Enemy at the Gates-William Craig
Citizen Soldiers-Stephen Ambrose

Right now I'm starting Hells Angels by Hunter S. Thompson, then my next fling is Rebels on the Backlot.

digitard
03-14-2005, 04:26 AM
It depends. If I get into a book I'll read the whole thing in 2 days.

I read 'The DaVinci Code' in a day cause I got into it, and I read the rest of the Dan Brown books (out of curiosity) in about a week each.

The last book I read was 'The Poet' by Michael Connelly which is actually a good book. Its a crime/suspense book. I normally dont read em, but my fiance heard from a friend it was a good read so I picked it up. Definitaly a good read.

Right now I'm reading the followup to that book called 'The Narrows' which follows a few characters from the original 'The Poet' book and I just literally started reading it a few mins ago but since its late I put it down, but shows promise so far. Its cool cause it takes 2 main characters from 'The Poet' and puts them in this one along with his previous book star 'Harry Bosch', who is now retired in this book, and puts them all in the same story. Sorta like a comic crossover, but much more intense.

Previous to that I read to 'Michael Crighton' books called 'State of Fear' and 'Prey'. State of Fear is pretty decent. Has a lot to do with Global Warming, and some interesting theories on it. I recommend it. 'PREY' is an average book, but the complete 1st person narrative is worth the read. Not the 'best book' by any means, but something you'll enjoy most of the way through.

I dont read very much honestly but when I do pick up a book (normally like 1 a month or 2) I read it through quite quickly. Lately though I've been reading more due to my insomnia kicking in a bit more.

Vex
03-14-2005, 04:41 AM
I try to read to my son (he's 5) for at least 30 minutes every night--that usually amounts to about one chapter of Harry Potter. Right now, we're halfway through "Chamber of Secrets".
I don't make much time to read for myself, so I've switched to audio books. I listen to them to and from work. I'm plowing my way through as many Star Wars books as possible, and right now I'm in the middle of "Dark Apprentice" from the Jedi Academy trilogy.
I recommend audio books if you haven't got the time to read. They are kind of weird to get used to at first, but they become really addicting!

bornl33t
03-14-2005, 06:10 AM
I read tooons of web pages if that counts. And i do mean read. I'm constantly reading for the sake of learning new things. Today I was trying to figure out how easy is it to mold plexiglass. Rather interesting. I might actually try it :D

Stix
03-14-2005, 10:41 AM
I try to get in about 30-60 minutes a day. I like to read a lot of things. Right now I'm into war psychology, tactics and how they relate to today's world. Take a look at www.sonshi.com, there's a ton of stuff there from some very famous generals of the past.

WickeDKlowN
03-14-2005, 11:21 AM
I read tooons of web pages if that counts. And i do mean read. I'm constantly reading for the sake of learning new things. Today I was trying to figure out how easy is it to mold plexiglass. Rather interesting. I might actually try it :D
Thats how I am. I sit here for hours on end just reading random stuff. I can't read a book unless it's something that really grabs my attention.

Thordic
03-14-2005, 11:23 AM
I read about an hour every day.

I spend about $600 - $800 on paperbacks, I'd estimate. I have four bookshelves full at home, and they are starting to get double-stacked.

SIGSays
03-14-2005, 12:15 PM
as much as i can... it's kind of fun sometimes...

Jeffy-CanCon
03-14-2005, 01:06 PM
About an hour a day, on average. A mix of novels and non-fiction. I am always in the middle of something, and if it's really engaging, I might spend 3-4hrs a day with it.

MiniSpdRcr
03-14-2005, 02:30 PM
I usually finish two books in a week....so quite a bit :)

Steelrat
03-14-2005, 02:37 PM
I read a lot. If you are looking for something different, try some Ayn Rand, preferrably The Fountainhead (my favorite) or Atlas Shrugged (considered to be her magnum opus).