PDA

View Full Version : Not sure I understand....

punkncat
03-14-2005, 09:59 AM
I keep seeing all these threads in the classifieds where someone is saying their team is switching markers, so they have to as well.

What difference does it make what marker you use in relation to your team? If you are sponsored by a manufacturer wouldn't they provide you the marker they want you to use? Is it just the team captain saying we are switching, so you must also?

I just don't get it.

magmanl337
03-14-2005, 10:13 AM
I keep seeing all these threads in the classifieds where someone is saying their team is switching markers, so they have to as well.

What difference does it make what marker you use in relation to your team? If you are sponsored by a manufacturer wouldn't they provide you the marker they want you to use? Is it just the team captain saying we are switching, so you must also?

I just don't get it.

You are right on both points.

Sometimes you're given a marker, and sometimes you have to get it by your own means.
Some teams want the image that only DMfizzle, or Timmys need apply.

Someone more qualified will probably post soon, and you'll have your answer in no time :D

Dryden
03-14-2005, 10:32 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but for me and my teammates there's the simplicity and reliability that all of us have enough parts and know-how to tech each others' markers in a pinch. Each of us owns some variation of an RT-Pro and a Classic, and collectively we have enough spare parts to build two or maybe three more markers in 10 minutes.

Contrast this to 10 years ago, when a couple people had Mags, a couple had Autocockers, a few guys were toting VM-68s, and there was the odd "misc other" marker, like an F1 Illustrator and so on, if a marker or two went down for the day, we were SOL. Nobody could work on each others markers between games, and the first person eliminated from a game couldn't get a head start on tech work for the team.

There's a definate advantage when everyone is shooting the same thing, and all the parts are interchangeable. For a mag in particular, if something goes haywire all we have to do is pull a valve from some other marker and go.

RRfireblade
03-14-2005, 10:59 AM
2 Kinds of sponserships in paintball.

1) We will give you a 'deal' (usually somewhere near wholsale)l on x number of markers for your team as long as everyone uses it. Mostly because We' don't want people to wonder why that one kid is using something else...and...your not at a level high enough to create the 'advertising' dollars we need to see in order to cover the makers cost.

2) 'We' want you guys to use our markers because they are good enough to create that return on our investment and of course, if your gettin' them for free,EVEYONE better be using them.

Rare:

3) You,as an individual, create enough draw the you can shoot whatever you want regardlesss of the rest of the team and we'll pay for it either way.

#1 Is hardly a sponsorship IMO,it's simply to the benefit of the manufacturer who still makes the same profit on the marker and at the same time get's some free advertising and word of mouth.Same deal for these so called 'paint' sponserships.In every case,all it really is,is a team owner/captain calling up various suppliers and saying what kind of deal can I get on 10 markers. :)

BUT...it's does help somewhat on the over all costs plus,and this is the hook, it's a BIG ego boost for most to say "I'm Sponsered by ___" therefore implying a certain amount of talent to the person. ;) They offer those 'Sponserships' in a variety of other industrys as well with the same results and effects.

SCpoloRicker
03-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Great post RRfireblade!

peewee
03-14-2005, 11:48 AM
There are several "teams" in my area that seem to be on the lazy susan of paintball markers. One team has changed markers 3 times this year alone. :tard: Time & money wasted as I see it. My team was a hodgepodge of markers back in the day untill we got a sponser. We had the get our stuff at cost type. Worked for us & created loyal AGD followers out of us all to this day. :shooting: Some people use that line to get out from under a marker that they cant handle or to make themselves sound like they are going somewhere.

abunkerer
03-14-2005, 12:09 PM
For my team I got the #1 deal that RRfireblade was talking about, we get a % off of all "" products but we MUST use their air system. THe sponsor says that if we end up in the winners circle getting our pictures taken, It wouldn't look right if we werent using the products we advertise...I agreed.

We are a relatively new team and I figure that we had to start somewhere, this will give us a better understanding of sponsorship and hopefully will open the doors for better sponsorships in the future. So I say goodbye to my crossfire, and hello to the dark dirty world of paint whoring

SIGSays
03-14-2005, 12:28 PM
cuz you can lose the sponsor... my friend plays for nasty... and he is sponsored by smart parts... he put down his nerve for a ion... lol...

but he uses a freak... right? and i asked him if he wanted to buy a white wolf freak boomy.. front and back.. but he was like i can't shoot that out on the field... cuz of my sponsors...

68magOwner
03-14-2005, 03:16 PM
its useless to have matching markers unless

#1- sponsor reasons

#2- thats just the kind of marker you all like and happen to have

my teams policy- shoot whatever your comfortable with and can get your job done with, we obviously wouldnt be thrilled about our back men picking up phantoms for our next tourney, but, within reason, shoot what you want, we currently have....5 different varieties of markers on the team

Enemy
03-14-2005, 10:17 PM
no reason really other than blank company is giving us a good deal on blank guns!! obviously its not a real sponsership but every little thing helps!!

White_Noise
03-14-2005, 10:27 PM
my old team kinda tried to all go mags. but some found they didnt like them, etc and went back to what they were using. for the most part though, most of the people i play with have mags, dm's, or matrixes. so its fairly easy to find someone who can help you fix your marker, or that has some extra parts on hand.