PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else an Insomniac?

personman
03-14-2005, 08:48 PM
I am. And it sucks.
It takes me around an hour to get to sleep every night. Lately I've been trying to get to bed around 9 or 10 but It's not helping. Lately I've been waking up alot during my sleep. Last night I woke up around 3 am and it took like 45 minutes for me to fall back asleep again. I always feel extremely tired in the mornings.. which isnt helping my grade in algebra.
I never sleep well. It seems like everyone else can get by on less sleep than me and not be tired all the time. It sucks.
I've been trying to cut caffene out of my diet and such, and I've been drinking more water than usual but It doesnt help much. I've also been working out a little which I need to be doing anyway and that doesnt help much either.

I've tried almost everything short of taking sleeping pills or something.. heh

Maybe I should talk to my doctor..

Anyone else have/had this problem?

1stdeadeye
03-14-2005, 08:49 PM
Yes!

Take ambian. It helps!

personman
03-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Mm, I'd like to take a drug free route. I dont like drugs in the first place and I wouldnt want to have to take a pill before I go to sleep every night.. :/

Then again I'm not sure what else I could do.. I guess I could work on my diet.. doubt that would help really

quik
03-14-2005, 09:11 PM
I used to be 10x worst. Everynight I would just lay there and wait for sleep. Never came though, I'd go 2-3 days not knowing if I'd slept or not.

But dont worry, there is hope!

What I did to correct my problem, was that I cut out ALL caffeine and sugar after 6pm. I would then go do some physically demanding activity, such as basketball, skateboarding, etc. After 9pm, I shut the computer off and went to lay on the couch and watch tv. By 11, I went in the room and read for a bit. After that I was beat, and was usually passed out by 12-1. If you can work your way to slowly doing this, you'll be surprised at how well it works.

I can now get to sleep without much problem, but I do stay up late now that I am out of highschool.

EDIT: Also, DONT take sleeping pills or drugs, they are only bad for your body and will hurt you in the long run.

personman
03-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I guess I need to cut out the caffene and sugar. Crap. I love that stuff.

Reading usually puts me to sleep.. I should really start picking that up again I guess. Can't stand TV.

Also I think I need a new pillow or something. I have a down one and It would be nice if it held shape but most of the time I'd be better off without a pillow.

I really need to get into a good workout routine. All I have is a 10 pound wieght, and a situp bar. My friend and I used to ride our bikes around the neighborhood at night. I think I'm going to ask him if he wants to start doing that again now that I think of it. We're going on a big backpacking trip this summer and that would probably help both of us get in shape anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess it was pretty much common sense but thanks.

Any more ideas?

kosmo
03-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Alcohol worked wonders for me! But then, sometimes when I woke up I:
didnt know where I was/had been
was somewhere I wasnt supposed to be
was somewhere I shouldnt have been
was with someone I shouldnt have been with

But then again, Ive always said that youve never lived till youve woken up in some foreign country with no idea where you are, no idea how to speak the naitive language, and no money. You learn real quick that embassies are your friend :cheers:

personman
03-14-2005, 09:33 PM
Hmm, I'll pass on the alcohol.

Will Wood
03-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Yea, alcohol is the best thing if you want to sleep.
Not an insomniac.. but there are probably 1-2 days per month where I just can't sleep no matter how hard I try.. and it sucks.

You should try not eating or drinking anything a couple hours before going to bed.
Don't exercize before...Make sure it's dark and quite... and so on.

WenULiVeUdiE
03-14-2005, 09:59 PM
Dont watch TV or go on the computer if you cant sleep. Not only does it not help, it just makes things worse.

I found that it takes 20 minutes of listening to my cd player or I cannot get to sleep at all. You may have to find your "thing" to help you sleep.

_tMAN
03-14-2005, 10:16 PM
I'm a proud insomniac. When I was younger I used to have all sorts of problems with it, my parents tried all sorts of drugs but nothing realy seemed to work. Now that I'm older, I can actually control my insomnia. I can stay up for about 3 days straight, yes I have done it, and not worry about sleeping. Other times I can go to sleep in as little as 10 minutes, without begin tired. It's all about controlling your brain, it's not easy, let me tell you.

tropical_fishy
03-15-2005, 01:06 AM
my boy is. I expect he'll be along later (2 or 3 in the morning).

Of course, he calls me at 2:30 in the morning, wakes me up, hangs up and turns off his bloody phone. So now I'm awake and sick at 2:30 in the morning and can't go back to sleep.

effing insomniacs.

Jeffy-CanCon
03-15-2005, 10:08 AM
It comes and goes for me, usually a couple of times a year, for 3-4 days at a time. Mostly it's stress-related, so working on my problems/projects helps. So does cutting out the caffiene, and getting lots of fresh air & exercise.

SpecialBlend2786
04-03-2005, 03:25 AM
my boy is. I expect he'll be along later (2 or 3 in the morning).

Of course, he calls me at 2:30 in the morning, wakes me up, hangs up and turns off his bloody phone. So now I'm awake and sick at 2:30 in the morning and can't go back to sleep.

effing insomniacs.

love you :D I got in trouble with you AND Tarrah for that...not sure how that works

Anyway, yeah i am. Usually go to bed around 3 or 4 am. wake up at 6:30, sleep through econ/psych/stats.

:ninja:

EDIT: whoops...old thread, my bad.