PDA

View Full Version : leaking from velocity adjustment

jkemp9
03-14-2005, 11:41 PM
i have a hand velocity adjuster on the automag i just purchased. when i turn the velocity up to a decent pressure, it leaks out the back of the hand adjuster. i turn it down and it stops, i haven't chronoed it yet but i wondered if this was a normal problem or if there is something the needs replacing in the valve.

JRingold
03-14-2005, 11:59 PM
Venting ot the back of the valve is "normal" if you have the velocity set too high. Turn it down until it stops venting, then give it another 1/4 turn conter-clockwise and start chronographing from there. If you just installed a Level10, you might have to turn it up as close to venting as possible to get close to 290fps.

athomas
03-15-2005, 07:30 AM
As long as it doesn't vent when you are shooting at the desired velocity then you are fine. If it does leak when you are set to the proper setting, then you need a new regulator piston assembly.

craltal
03-15-2005, 12:59 PM
argh. beat me to it.. here's a link to the part tho.

http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=30&categoryID=18

I had the problem when I took my older classic valve to a level X bolt.

JRingold
03-15-2005, 07:19 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot about the regulator piston assy... Then again, there was no indication of a Level 10...

jkemp9
03-16-2005, 11:14 PM
no level 10 in it. i turned it down and shot it a few times without chrono, didn't leak but didn't appear to be shooting extremely fast. as far as the reg assembly goes, how would i know if that's the problem? i unscrewed the back half of the reg and it appeared to be in working order from what have seen on other, working mags. again, it isn't a constant leak and i haven't chronoed it. thanks for the help

JRingold
03-16-2005, 11:25 PM
The regulator piston assembly is actually the part inside the velocity adjustment screw. There isn't anything that would indicate that it isn't working fine, other than chronographing the the marker to see that it isn't shooting in the 270-300fps range.

The regulator piston assembly ususally isn't an issue, until you install a Level 10 bolt onto a classic valve. As stated on the website for the part: "Replace the entire assembly if your marker is shooting at normal speeds and it still leaks out the back." I had my Classic for 10 years and didn't have a problem until I upgraded to a Level 10, but that's not to say they are indestructible.

Bottom line: Chrono and see where you are, you might be shooting in a normal velocity range and not even know it.

Paintmanmike
03-18-2005, 03:37 PM
I agree with what's been said here, if you are leaking out the back at "normal" velocities than the reg disk pack is to blame. This si an uncommon problem with Lvl 7 in a classic valve but rather common when upgrading to Lvl 10. Spent my 1st six months on Lvl 10 fighting that, hated Lvl 10! When the new packs came out I changed and since then Lvl 10 has been nothing short of terrific.

jkemp9
03-20-2005, 11:44 AM
thanks for all the help. i played a 6 hours scenario with it yesterday and it didn't leak shooting around 270. just overpressurized. thanks again.