PDA

View Full Version : Mini-mag Upgrade Questions

soren2004
03-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Hi,

I've had a mini-mag since way back in 1994. I used to play 2-3 times a month back then, and recently a friend of mine dragged me back into paintball. I fired up my old mini-mag and found that it all it needed to work after years of abuse, and then neglect, was new o-rings. Well, almost.

So much has changed in the past 10 years and I cant seem to find some upgrades for my mag.

The first thing I noticed was that I couldnt find a new barrell (unless I picked one up from AGD). Does anyone know where I can pick up *new* twist and lock barrells? (I can find plenty of pball stores that will sell me beat up barrells that they call *new*.)

I'm thinking about upgrading to N2(compressed air), but I keep finding conflicting information on the benefits and drawbacks of N2. Are there any advantages to upgrading to N2?

I usually run a remote line off a 20 oz tank. Can I still use my remote line with an N2 tank? (without damaging anything, including myself)

I have an expansion chamber grip on my current setup, can i still use that with N2? (without damage :) )

On a *classic* mini-mag, does N2 really give you more shots per tank than a 20 oz CO2? Would upgrading the valve really improve the shots/tank?

Everyone in this forum constantly recommends upgrading from the classic valve "to stop the chops". After using this setup off and on for more than 10 years, I've *NEVER* chopped a ball. (Yes, never.)

Our group of players doesnt play full auto (to give everyone a fair chance.) Also, my setup usually can get 8 ball/sec out of my mag with very little, if any, drop. IMO, any faster than that and you are either being cruel or you should stop "long balling".

The original setup works great and is virtually bullet proof. So, aside from increasing firing rate (that my friends would kill me for) and preventing the chops (that my setup doesnt get), are there any other advantages to upgrading my valve?

Any information that anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mav D MagMan
03-15-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi,

I've had a mini-mag since way back in 1994. I used to play 2-3 times a month back then, and recently a friend of mine dragged me back into paintball. I fired up my old mini-mag and found that it all it needed to work after years of abuse, and then neglect, was new o-rings. Well, almost.

So much has changed in the past 10 years and I cant seem to find some upgrades for my mag.

The first thing I noticed was that I couldnt find a new barrell (unless I picked one up from AGD). Does anyone know where I can pick up *new* twist and lock barrells? (I can find plenty of pball stores that will sell me beat up barrells that they call *new*.)

I have two from the factory at ACI (Never used in a game, ever), PM me if you'd like to find out more.

I'm thinking about upgrading to N2(compressed air), but I keep finding conflicting information on the benefits and drawbacks of N2. Are there any advantages to upgrading to N2?

Yes, your Mag will like it, a lot. While you wont have the same issues on a remote line, in cold weather etc. you might still draw C02 up into your marker. N2 eliminates this completely. Additionally, its usually available for a set price all day, and I usually see people paying per fill for c02.

Drawback: You might not get as many shots per tank depending on what size you pick up.

I usually run a remote line off a 20 oz tank. Can I still use my remote line with an N2 tank? (without damaging anything, including myself)

Your remote line should be able to handle the output of an N2 tank just fine.

I have an expansion chamber grip on my current setup, can i still use that with N2? (without damage :) )

Yup, it will just add another chamber for air to sit in. Some people suggest that it slows down flow, but as long as your not reaching the upper limits of your classic valve's performance (16bps) you should be just fine.
On a *classic* mini-mag, does N2 really give you more shots per tank than a 20 oz CO2? Would upgrading the valve really improve the shots/tank?

Depends on the size of the tank, on a remote setup you could get an 88/114ci tank and shoot forever. A 68ci probably wont get the same number of shots as your 20 oz.

Everyone in this forum constantly recommends upgrading from the classic valve "to stop the chops". After using this setup off and on for more than 10 years, I've *NEVER* chopped a ball. (Yes, never.)

You don't need to upgrade from the classic valve, just from Level 7 to Level 10. If you have no problems, dont spend the money (you don't need to). I've never ran my Minimag off of Level 10 so I can't really diss lvl7 ;)

Our group of players doesnt play full auto (to give everyone a fair chance.) Also, my setup usually can get 8 ball/sec out of my mag with very little, if any, drop. IMO, any faster than that and you are either being cruel or you should stop "long balling".

The original setup works great and is virtually bullet proof. So, aside from increasing firing rate (that my friends would kill me for) and preventing the chops (that my setup doesnt get), are there any other advantages to upgrading my valve?

Weight decreases (I'm guessing you're asking about Classic/Mini to X-Valve). You wont be able to run C02 if you go X/Retro etc. So if its working for you, stick with what you've got!

Will