PDA

View Full Version : tips for my homemade field

logicmag19
03-16-2005, 07:26 PM
I am trying to put together a field in my backyard. I have an acre of land to work with. What are some good ideas for bunkers? So far I know of these...
-Hyperball tubes (where can i get some?)
-50 gallon drums
-Old doors etc.
-Tires
-Old garbage cans etc.

Anyone know of any good places to get any of these items?
Anyone have a field they made with pics?
Ideas on how to make or setup field?
Anything else...

mag88888
03-16-2005, 07:29 PM
shovels, dig with them. pile dirt and stuff.

Skoad
03-16-2005, 07:31 PM
head over to local Lowes or some place like that, ask them if you can have some of their pallets.

then bust off some of the pallet boards to fill the gaps in others. then either drive a fence post or something in the ground and slip the pallet over top or nail them to trees, etc.

Snap Shooter
03-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Phone and cable companies will sometimes give you their empty giant spools that they wrap cable on. Corrugated pipe is expensive to purchase and hard to get people to part with. Grocery stores like Foodlion, Shop-N-Save, Kroger, and even Wal-Mart get the solid plastic pallets (Leggo Feilds are made out of these) they stack them out back (ask before taking them though ;) ) Food processing, especially juice making plants will give or sell you the 50 gallon plastic drums. I just replaced all of the cheap luan doors in my house (14 of them) and we wrapped them in cheap blue plastic tarps so they would last out doors longer, they make great bunkers.

master_alexander
03-16-2005, 07:55 PM
invest in a chronograph...

give me a season pass and play for plane tickets with free paint and air ;)

zazzoo
03-16-2005, 08:09 PM
do what skoad said i used to have those they worked

gc82000
03-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Check your local feilds and see if they can give you some old field netting. I have some friends who did this in their ranch and they have all net bunkers. They are hung really loose and have like three layers on o them so as not to have balls break on them. it is pretty cool but hard to bunker ppl.

FireITup14
03-16-2005, 09:49 PM
couches, random peices of lawn furnature

FreakBaller12
03-16-2005, 09:53 PM
pallets, barrels, tires and trees are what consist of my home made field.

Athius
03-16-2005, 10:24 PM
-Hyperball tubes (where can i get some?)

Believe it or not hypertubes are expensive. What u could do is go to a very big construction site and ask if they could give u the hyper tubes pieces that they throw out or just go to the trash of the construction site and get them.

SpitFire1299
03-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Tires are easy to get.. lol. If you know a big auto place they would love to give you some.

Snorkie
03-16-2005, 10:50 PM
me and my friends have a field in a open field by my friends house. as of now we use plywood bunkers that we took when they were constucting his neighborhood. However in the latest PB2Xtremes there is a product called balliztics bunkers. After seeing these bunkers we thought of building our own. We took a trip down to lowes and found 10 feet of PVC pipe for under a buck and all the fittings we needed for dirt cheap. We just constucted our first bunker yesterday it is a stand up and we made it 7 ft high 3 ft wide and 2ft deep. Right now we only have the frame up but it only cost us $10 for the pipe and fittings. We are planning on streching painters plastic losley over the frame so paint will bounce off of it instead of break. we have designed four different types of bunkers, a stand, a low lay down for the snake, a baseball plate, and a small brick. we are planning on making four of each, so far we have calculated that the price for all 16 bunker frames will be about $124 and we will be splitting this cost at least 6 ways. We dont know how much painters plastic we will need but it is cheap at only 2 dollars for sheet big enough to cover at least one bunker. So we are estimating the cost of the entire 16 bunkers to be under 200 dollars which is much better than the 2000 for the balliztics field or 3000 for an airball field. We will hopfully have the entire field built by next week and ready for playing next weekend. I will let you know how it goes when we are done if you are interested. I will try to take pictures of it when we are done PM me later if you want the pics.

Enemy
03-17-2005, 05:40 AM
pallets work very well but some places reuse them so ask before you take!! Cable companies trash their cables after just one use so they are always happy to get rid of a few they will even sometimes drive a truck out to where you need em and the drivers will do doughnuts utill they get red of their load!! fun to watch :headbang:

other than that you can make bunkers out of plywood and 2x4s and constuction companies have alot of unusable excess that they will give to you!!

MadPSIence
03-17-2005, 05:51 AM
maybe some elevated terrain ... might add fun to it.

afultz075
03-17-2005, 06:44 AM
Be careful with using tires, there is a very good chance that they will collect water on the inside and be a breeding ground for mosquitoes during the summer.

Teamslayer76
03-17-2005, 07:35 AM
Heres what I did back in the day.
We went out to a hardware store bought some short but stong nails. and A few hinges [20].
After that we got some really crappy plywood from anywhere...trash from construction sites, people trash, craped wood from the hardware store anything that doesnt have holes/rottign will do. Then get some new 2x4's not that much .... you would need around 20 feet, if you can't cut them your self get the store to cut them into 20 1 foot long sections. Now for the steps...

First nail the hinges to to one side of the plywood.
Second attack the 1 foot 2x4 to the open side fo the hinge, with nails.
Then with any scrap wood left over try to cove the nails , or hammer them down.

There you go a 5 vs. 5 field portable....

While it may be a little expensive... It works.....

Total cost i estimate to be $30-50

EDIT- IF you cant treat the wood, or paint it. To keep termites/rotting away from your investment. :bounce: have fun.

sbpyro
03-17-2005, 11:46 AM
This might be a little bit of a drive but
You could check under the free section of craigslist for stuff
http://chicago.craigslist.org/
You'd be surprised at what you can get as long as you can haul it away.
I've gotten enough stuff for $20 or less to create a office. So you could possibly have a cubical alley in your field.

Word of warning for pallets becareful of nails that are sticking out. and you'll need constant maintenance on them.

ben-afficial
03-17-2005, 11:53 AM
and if you have a junk yard lying around....cars can actually make a preety good bunker but you might want to knock the glass....you think and hope it will hold...put a hopper into it and it will explode in your face. :dance:

logicmag19
03-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Alright guys keep the ideas coming. So far I've just made a map of my back yard and the space I have to work with. Anyone have any good setups for the objects u told me to use? thanks. Snorkie great ideas! ill pm u.