PDA

View Full Version : hey, whats a magnetic detent?

GrassNinja
03-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Hey guys, sorry to sound ignorant but I need a definition please. What in the world is a magnetic detent? How does it work? I saw one on a thread once, and justblew it off. THen I was looking at buying a custom RT Pro from the site and it had magnetic detents as an option. So now I need to know. lol Cuase if its cool and worth it I want one. lol

Thanks all,

GrassNinja

abunkerer
03-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Most detents use a SPRING to push against a little plastic ball. magnetic detents use the resistance from MAGNETS to push against the ball/or piston.

guysdaman
03-17-2005, 11:57 AM
What he said ^^^^ plus springs wear out...magnets don't ;)

ben-afficial
03-17-2005, 12:15 PM
plus the magnet wont put enough pressure on the ball to break it like a spyder or tippy or old cocker :dance:

ApexAZ
03-17-2005, 12:17 PM
I assume the ball is a magnet?

deadeye9
03-17-2005, 02:05 PM
I assume the ball is a magnet?

No. There's a diagram at http://www.kilaproducts.com/kila/.

Lohman446
03-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Your all wrong. Using rare earth magnets and infusing the paintball skin with a metalic powder the manufacturers have found ways to clear the breach of the paintball gun by using only magnetic tension to detain the paintball. This lack of intrusion into the breech and even resistance around the circumference of the paintball prevents the spin imparted on the paintball by traditional "ball" style detents that intrude on the paintball and impart on uneven resistance to the circumference of the ball.

:D

Ok, not really... it is magnetic resistance rather than spring resistance forcing the "ball" of the detent into the breech. This allows a more even resistance over the entire travel of the detent and a longer life. It also makes detents more "rebuildable" rather than replacing them.

ApexAZ
03-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Interesting!

Creative Mayhem
03-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Your all wrong. Using rare earth magnets and infusing the paintball skin with a metalic powder the manufacturers have found ways to clear the breach of the paintball gun by using only magnetic tension to detain the paintball. This lack of intrusion into the breech and even resistance around the circumference of the paintball prevents the spin imparted on the paintball by traditional "ball" style detents that intrude on the paintball and impart on uneven resistance to the circumference of the ball.

:D

Ok, not really... it is magnetic resistance rather than spring resistance forcing the "ball" of the detent into the breech. This allows a more even resistance over the entire travel of the detent and a longer life. It also makes detents more "rebuildable" rather than replacing them.

:rofl: :rofl:

Athius
03-18-2005, 12:12 AM
Those detents are the best detents ever.