PDA

View Full Version : why?.... freestyle

matt-o
03-17-2005, 10:56 PM
i was wondering why the ICD freestyle isnt more popular than it is? i keep comparing it to the 03 shocker in my head, its the same weight, just as fast when legal, just as small, more comfortable in the grip, and more efficient stock. best of all its almost 200$ cheaper new if not more. the only downside is the crappy stock barrel and HPR which can be replaced with the money that you save, with cash leftover (cp reg and barrel is like 110).

is it just that the hype machine kills great guns like this or what? or is there somehting wrong with the freestyle. i could compare it to guns like timmies and DMs too. just wondering cause it unsettles me a little and im planning on buying one this weekend.

quik
03-17-2005, 11:00 PM
is it just that the hype machine kills great guns like this

yup.

peewee
03-17-2005, 11:04 PM
Sales have been strong recently in my area. They have sold 4 in less than a week at my local shop. They have been getting used shockers in every couple days. they are trading them in for the freestyle. :cheers:

WenULiVeUdiE
03-17-2005, 11:13 PM
The freestyle doesnt ramp stock. Ramping boards/chips are the hot feature now. If it doesnt ramp, they dont want to buy it.

Dont forget that ICD doesnt not advertise nearly as much. Opposed to Smart Parts who go crazy with ads. Smart Parts has some of the best teams in the world using Shockers, and that makes them fly off the shelves.

RRfireblade
03-17-2005, 11:14 PM
It's already ICDs best selling gun so far,and given enough time.....probably ever.

Not sure what the question is....

matt-o
03-17-2005, 11:15 PM
well even the nerve board dosnt ramp much at all at rates of fire like 15bps it only kicks in significantly at 18 or so. and if ramping is your thing why not just get a NOX ramper board? its still less when thats added onto the cost of the gun, barrel, and new regulator

and sorry i wasnt trying to make a freestyle vs shocker thread but thats pretty much what it is now that i look at it

its meant to be more of a "how can SP get away with crap like that?" kinda thread

Blazestorm
03-18-2005, 12:41 AM
The freestyle doesnt ramp stock. Ramping boards/chips are the hot feature now. If it doesnt ramp, they dont want to buy it.

Dont forget that ICD doesnt not advertise nearly as much. Opposed to Smart Parts who go crazy with ads. Smart Parts has some of the best teams in the world using Shockers, and that makes them fly off the shelves.

I've never heard of someone buying a shocker because it ramped stock.
If that's true why not buy an Ion?

Another Ignorant statement by AO.

dolphin1823
03-18-2005, 11:28 AM

Haven’t you heard? The 05 Shockers come stock with the Nerve board….there’s your stock ramping in a Shocker. :p

Besides the Freestyles are ULGY!

Chris42050
03-18-2005, 02:48 PM
matt-o dont worry about what SP does and what other people buy. Get what you want.

Lohman446
03-18-2005, 02:57 PM

I bought two Shockers, after I owned and still had two already solely because they ramped :D

astroboy
03-18-2005, 02:59 PM
looks-wise i like the shocker better... but the FS is picking up steam, lots of Private Label FS are coming out soon if not already and some of them look awesome! ... I think when they start making it, the FS, look better, the sales will pick up even more... recently an online store in Canada was selling them for $570 Canadian and they sold a lot!!! More proliferation then more people will see them at the fields then ask to try 'em and end up buyin' if they liked it... it's all in the marketing, formal and informal... I used to believe you needed Pro teams to advertise for you but the A-5 made me realize that is not necessarily the case... make a marker that appeals to the masses and the masses will buy it...

hate to be crying over spilt milk but ICD is quite successful even after settling with SP... why couldn't AKA and AGD have done the same, sign with the Devil, and just move on?

when I see the Ion and the Freestyle I see the potential the automag had ( they are blow forward designs.) Who's the daddy of blow forward designs? AGD with their automags. Yet whenever I call my local paintball stores and ask for automag parts they snicker/laugh... *sigh*

Lohman446
03-18-2005, 03:17 PM
when I see the Ion and the Freestyle I see the potential the automag had ( they are blow forward designs.) Who's the daddy of blow forward designs? AGD with their automags. Yet whenever I call my local paintball stores and ask for automag parts they snicker/laugh... *sigh*

The Ion is a spool valve design and tehcnical operates differently than conventional "blow forward" designs.

68magOwner
03-18-2005, 03:31 PM

not true at all. Yes, some players do like the idea of ramping, but, not if it cant be used, there are plenty of chips that have coding that isnt terribly noticable, but, ramping shockers have to be the #1 most obvious ramping marker in the world, 5 really slow shots, then takes oof, and stays there even if the person is shooting with 1 finger or w/e.

rpm07
03-18-2005, 03:50 PM
I would have bought 1 if the werent so ulgy.
I hear alot of good things about them but I just cant get past the looks.

Lohman446
03-18-2005, 03:52 PM
well even the nerve board dosnt ramp much at all at rates of fire like 15bps it only kicks in significantly at 18 or so.

WHAT? At 4BPS the Shocker ramps to 15BPS for as long as the 4 BPS is sustained. It is further capped at 15BPS (mine were acutally 14.5BPS) over the chrono when in ramping mode

thorn
03-18-2005, 04:30 PM
well, i own a fs.

shocker is slightly lighter. def. smaller cuz of monotube. not as effecient. more kick.

68magOwner
03-18-2005, 05:22 PM
WHAT? At 4BPS the Shocker ramps to 15BPS for as long as the 4 BPS is sustained. It is further capped at 15BPS (mine were acutally 14.5BPS) over the chrono when in ramping mode

....no, its not capped unless you set it

Lohman446
03-18-2005, 05:24 PM
....no, its not capped unless you set it

In ramping mode its capped - at least each one of mine consistently pulled about 14.5BPS over the chronos in ramp mode. Then again, I had very early (week of release with ramp) ramping Shockers.. so they may have made changes since that.

johnson88
03-18-2005, 05:28 PM

actually one of thetwo teams will be using them or are alread naughty dogs and Russain legion

O_o
03-18-2005, 06:57 PM
actually one of thetwo teams will be using them or are alread naughty dogs and Russain legion
The whole thing with Russian Legion isn't done yet, still some sponsorship things to work out so there were only 3 RL FS prototypes. Jax Warriors were also seen shooting freestyles at LA Open.

Now there's the new generation Freestyle Pro's comming with a couple PL's:
-Naughty Dogs FS Pro
-Destructive Customs FS Pro
-Epic FS Pro
-Adventure Beach FS Pro

For me, I friggin love my freestyle, it rocks :headbang: It's low profile, very light, little to no kick, easy maintnence. The only thing that bugs me is the efficiency since I don't have the HE bolt kit. With all day air and me not shooting 5 pods a game, it's all gravy. I have yet to have a problem with it. I just need to pick up a chaos or NOX board and a new trigger.

(JDS LPR not shown)
http://www.sjsuserver.lunarpages.com/history/bbfs.jpg

WenULiVeUdiE
03-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Now there's the new generation Freestyle Pro's comming with a couple PL's:
-Naughty Dogs FS Pro
-Destructive Customs FS Pro
-Epic FS Pro
-Adventure Beach FS Pro

You proved me wrong, good.

ICD itself does not sponsor any major teams that I know of. NPS distributes for ICD, so NPS sponsored teams can use ICD markers. And there is a large difference between the number of advertisments of Smart Parts and ICD.

I probably shouldn't have stated it the way I did. But a few months ago Shockers were flying off the shelves, and the stock ramping was not hurting sales one bit. Since then AdvantagePB has gained popularity and makes chips and boards for many markers. The stock ramper is nearly useless now.

matt-o
03-18-2005, 08:05 PM
matt-o dont worry about what SP does and what other people buy. Get what you want.
oh of course, i already ordered mine, should get it tuesday or monday