PDA

View Full Version : BioWare's (KOTOR): Jade Empire

Miscue
03-18-2005, 09:33 PM
Anybody pre-order yet? I don't normally pre-order stuff... this that's the only way to get the special edition.

http://jade.bioware.com/

SpecialBlend2786
03-20-2005, 05:00 AM
WHat makes special edition different from the regular?

Will Wood
03-20-2005, 05:19 AM
You suck. You just made me preodrder this game. It looks amazing. Hadn't heard of it before.

You get an extra character and fighting style, and a dvd about the making.
Same price... just a preorder specail to suck people like me into buying it.

Creative Mayhem
03-20-2005, 07:06 AM
DAMN! That IS impressive.... I may just have to pick this up myself.

Target Practice
03-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Damnit, now I want to get it. Thanks, Cue. Thanks a lot.

NoForts4Me
03-20-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm playing KOTOR now (yeah, I know it's been out for a while) and really enjoying it. Jade looks more impressive....thanks for the heads up!

SpecialBlend2786
03-20-2005, 05:12 PM
"Monk Zeng is only available in the Limited Edition of Jade Empire. Pre-order your copy today!"

OH SNAP! time to pre-order

Miscue
03-21-2005, 12:43 AM
I'm playing KOTOR now (yeah, I know it's been out for a while) and really enjoying it. Jade looks more impressive....thanks for the heads up!

I loved KOTOR ! & II. This should rock.

FromTheBack
03-21-2005, 08:35 PM
I loved KoTOR I and II I am still playing, this game does look pretty impressive.

Oh and offtopic but I am desperate..how can you transfer a kotor2 game to another xbox. memory cards dont hold enough space and I system linked to it to only find no way to transfer it. I have heard you can transfer files in system link but I didnt see it when I checked the first time. Thanks!

Miscue
04-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Been playing past few days... It's better than KOTOR. Anyone else have it?

Warewolf50
04-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Been playing past few days... It's better than KOTOR. Anyone else have it?

i really want it, kotor was the firts rpg i ever played and i loved it althoght i got stuck somewhere and gave up, but i had put like 20 hour into it which is alot for me.

What is the fight system like in this game?

SpecialBlend2786
04-18-2005, 09:57 PM
bwahahaha i JUST got it today (preordered through gamespot, got cheapo shipping)

Too bad i have a paper to write.

I guess i'll finish my paper and then pull an all nighter, playing of course.

How's the bonus content Q?

I loved KoTOR I and II I am still playing, this game does look pretty impressive.

Oh and offtopic but I am desperate..how can you transfer a kotor2 game to another xbox. memory cards dont hold enough space and I system linked to it to only find no way to transfer it. I have heard you can transfer files in system link but I didnt see it when I checked the first time. Thanks!

Get something like a Mega X key or Action Replay. Comes with a bigger memory card that you can use. Mega X key in particular looks perfect for KOTOR saves :ninja:

Miscue
04-19-2005, 12:10 AM
bwahahaha i JUST got it today (preordered through gamespot, got cheapo shipping)

Too bad i have a paper to write.

I guess i'll finish my paper and then pull an all nighter, playing of course.

How's the bonus content Q?

Get something like a Mega X key or Action Replay. Comes with a bigger memory card that you can use. Mega X key in particular looks perfect for KOTOR saves :ninja:

I could be wrong, but it appears that the only real difference between the characters is the starting stats/abilities and the dialog. Looks like you can make your characters identical, really.

So as far as extra content goes... it doesn't change things a whole lot... although I like the monk character and his story. The "Making of" movie was low-res, which I didn't understand. They had an entire DVD that they could have used for a high quality video. And most of the content is already available on the net.

Miscue
04-19-2005, 12:40 AM
i really want it, kotor was the firts rpg i ever played and i loved it althoght i got stuck somewhere and gave up, but i had put like 20 hour into it which is alot for me.

What is the fight system like in this game?

KOTOR is quasi-turn-based, JE is not. There's an arcade-ish fighting element to JE, where you have to jump around, avoid hits, and attack... and stuff. You have to learn how to not get hit, and timing of your attacks can be important. Flipping through your styles while fighting can help a lot

Something interesting is: You can't just use items to heal yourself, or take mana potions. No Advanced Med Kits and stuff like in KOTOR and most other RPGs. There are no traditional items at all... just quest items and stuff that buffs your stats. When you're low on health, chi, or focus - the only thing you can really do is: Don't use it all up in the first place, use a chi/mana stealing style which you can then use to heal yourself, get lucky with a dropped powerup, or have a support character that slowly recharges you. When you're not in battle, you can find a recharge station... usually fairly easily.

In KOTOR, I never had to avoid a boss... and it was never difficult to figure out how to defeat them. Even if you're not leveled up so great, you can carry a crap load of med packs or whatever. In JE, I've had to avoid a couple bosses... do small quests and level up first to not get my arse kicked. Some of them have worked me over and over again, took a dozen times to figure out how to fight them and win with my current level/stats.

Your followers are damned near worthless in battle, unlike KOTOR - best thing about them is they provide another target. However, the characters are pretty cool. And, you can only have one fight with you instead of two.

The creepiest following character I've ever seen is in this game... she's like a 6 year old girl named Wild Flower. Henpecked Hou is freakin hilarious. The rest of the characters are pretty decent. KOTOR 1/2 had several forgettable ones.

Will Wood
04-19-2005, 06:01 AM
Yea I have it, great game.
You can definately notice the KoToR similiarities, yet it's a completely different game.
Yup, follows in attack mode are completely useless - Exept on keeping some enemies busy and away from you. Second time around, going closed first instead of open, I'm going to always have the followers in support mode, and suggest anyone starting to play to do the same.

The end definately has a suprise twist worthy of KoToR. (Asuming you didn't see the whole Raven thing coming).

Yea when wild flower talks thats creepy, glowing eyes and big demon voice from some lil girl lol. Reminded me of a gou'ld.

SpecialBlend2786
04-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Just started playing, its pretty damn fun. now back to playing! the village is under attack :ninja:

Miscue
04-20-2005, 01:14 AM
Yea I have it, great game.
You can definately notice the KoToR similiarities, yet it's a completely different game.
Yup, follows in attack mode are completely useless - Exept on keeping some enemies busy and away from you. Second time around, going closed first instead of open, I'm going to always have the followers in support mode, and suggest anyone starting to play to do the same.

The end definately has a suprise twist worthy of KoToR. (Asuming you didn't see the whole Raven thing coming).

Yea when wild flower talks thats creepy, glowing eyes and big demon voice from some lil girl lol. Reminded me of a gou'ld.

Yeah, it's got some good plot twists. KOTOR you could kind of see coming... JE was a complete WTF?... when the major plot twist occurs.

There's a lot of KOTOResque stuff. Like the Millenium Falcon cut scenes... replaced with a flying bug thing. But yeah, I agree... it's still completely different.

I went through the whole game without using the focus button, until the last dude pretty much forced you to. Harmonic combos? Never used them, unless I did by accident.

I was pretty thorough, but still I must have missed a ton of stuff. I more than likely won't pick up this game again for a long time... but I might go through it with a strategy guide and get what I missed.

"No! Don't destroy the town yet! I have mini-quests to complete!"