PDA

View Full Version : Mp3 Player Dilemma

TraXeR
03-18-2005, 09:52 PM
I had an iPod mini, I don't anymore. Now I am getting sick of my CD player and need to go back into the 1+ Gig mp3 player zone. Now keep in mind I'm not a complete music freak, but I do still have an extensive collection of about 3.5 gigs and growing.

I've looked over it for about 3 weeks, I've looked at each and every possible choice (iPod, iRiver, Rio, Jukebox, etc, etc). These are my picks. I simply can't seem to make up my mind.

Keep in mind 6 Gig iPod mini's are not available to buy locally here yet for an acceptable price, so I'm not getting one.

Apple iPod Mini 4 Gig (Silver)
Pros:
-I love the layout and ease of use and familiarity since I had one for about 4 months,
-The hard drive space is perfect for me at the current time, and I can always take songs off if needed to update to newer songs.
-$249 (Canada)

Cons:
-Damn tiny, I have misplaced mine before for days on end by accident.
-Hard Drive space doesn't give me much room for using as a portable USB drive.
-8 hour battery life

iRiver H10 (Silver or Lounge Grey)
Pros:
-Can view pictures, slideshows, use FM tuner and radio, as well as FM recorder and voice recorder
-The hard drive space is perfect for me at the current time, and I can always take songs off if needed to update to newer songs. While slightly larger than the iPod mini, it's nothing to smile at.
-12 Hour Battery Life

Cons:
-4 tactile buttons instead of 1 and the scrolling is typically much slower.
-New and unproven.
-$379 (Canada)

Apple iPod 20 Gig
Pros:
-Layout is familiar and easy to use.
-Excellent hard drive capacity which can be used over time, but having a very hard time doing so. It took me about 3 months to break the 3 gig mark on my mini.
-Somewhat larger than the mini in physical size, easy to keep track of to an extent.

Cons:
-Size. Yes, the hard drive size may actually be too large that I'm wasting my money I may never get past 10 gigs. Thus not worth the extra $150.
-For the cost, besides hard drive space, I get no extra features such as picture, radio, and the liek that can be found on the H10.
-$379 (Canada)

All those stats were based on what I see them as in my day to day use. They may differe for all of you. Keep in mind, the decision is ultimately mine, but I just need a common thought. Don't suggest any other players than listed, they will be ignored.

personman
03-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Meh, I just did a bunch of research and it looks like the rio karma is the best for me. I think I'm going to buy one pretty soon. If I dont get a karma, it will probably be a zen micro. Those are snazzy.

Out of those three? The H10 I guess. Its a bit on the expensive side though.

Either that or the mini I guess.

maxama10
03-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Ipod mini direct from apple...my friend got a new one(its silverr too) about a week ago and loves it. He got it in a few days with free shipping, free laser engraving, and got it with the apple student discount. :D im gonna get one as soon as i can... :headbang:

SpecialBlend2786
03-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Karma's are awesome players. Userfriendly and they have awesome sound quality. I'd recomend them in a heartbeat.

Anyone seen the Archos Gmini XS200? 20 gb's and its TINY.

whymillywhy
03-19-2005, 03:48 PM
30 gb iPod Photo, best choice IMO,
I have one, I can view slideshows, album art, many 3rd party programs for it (i.e. iPod Agent, EphPod, etc) Faster picture viewing, ability to hook it up to a TV, soon the ability to hook your camera up to it, upload hte pictures onto your iPod and view them on your iPod right away, 30 gbs, so you can store almost anything on it. The best choice, I woudl recommend it to almost anyone.

Oh yea, and of those three, iPod Mini, if you want to go lower, go with an iPod Shuffle

slade
03-19-2005, 04:14 PM
go with an ipod. 5 hours ago i returned my samsung mp3 player because it had about 20 problems (freezing, turning off spontaneously, volume locking, horribly low battery life, etc.) my friend had a dell mp3 player that broke, and another friend had an archos (sp?) mp3 player that broke. i do not know how reliable iriver mp3 players are, but i have no reason to suspect they are any more reliable. i also have at least a dozen friends who have ipods and have never had a problem. i even found an ipod outside, in the rain, COMPLETELY soaked through, and it was working fine. unfortuantely, i also found the owner. ipods also have a great interface.

to sum that up:

ipods = mags
everything else = system x cockers

atm743
03-19-2005, 05:01 PM
jest get a 6 gig mini ipod

or a 20 gig ipod for a little more $$

i would get the mini though

they have a longer battery life and you only have 3.5 gigs of music and i dont think you can buy an other 3 gigs fast

TraXeR
03-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Got the 20 gig today. I'm also using it as a hard drive back up if I need it.