PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out.. Help?

RyanTheEskimo
03-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Ok guys, here's the deal... I'm looking to get into paintball, and I'm planning on getting serious into it - tournaments and all that jazz - once I get a little more experienced. Me and my buddies are making a field on some land my dad has, and we want to play over spring break. Here's where the problem comes in - spring break is after this coming week, and by the time i'm ready to get my equipment (I currently have NOTHING whatsoever) I'll only have a total of about $250-$300 MAX to spend. Now... I went to our local paintball shop, and this guy has EVERYTHING lol. I talked to him about getting into paintball and heres some of the things he told me:

I told him I wanted a decent gun that will last me awhile, not just a piece of crap gun... He suggested, above all else, getting a used automag (his used automags start at about $100.) He has over 100 used automags layin around in the store, and enough parts to build over 30 more - he told me I could come in, he'd sit me down and show me how to take them apart and clean them, and that I could get any custom parts I want for it, and he'd put it together for me, and I can still get the used automag AND custom parts for prolly around $150 depending on any parts I get for it. My first question is, Does this sound like a good idea? What kind of custom parts should I look into getting? Any barrel suggestions or anything else would be great.

I read that automags dont work well at all lower temps with CO2, so do you suggest I get nitro? I can get a 3000PSI nitro tank for about $40 or $60 (once again, it'll be used to save some $$. He warranties everything though - including the used stuff)

What brand of paint do you guys suggest? I was told to look into Blaze and Blaze field for colder temps, and PMI Premium or Mid Evil for warmer temps?

What about any other parts (Gun parts, electric hoppers, ANYTHING) that would benifit me, even though I'm a beginner? If possible, please be brand/name specific so I can look into them. I don't know much about parts and stuff.

What about goggles? I was told that JT Proshield and VForce Shield goggles are really good? Any other suggestions?

Finally, any helpful information/tips/hints or anything a begginer should know would be great. Thanks!

D-Block
03-19-2005, 12:12 PM
Marker- Automag
Barrel- im assuming for $100 its not a ULE R/T so its gonna be a twist-lock barrel
Air-Nitro
Paint- Whatever matches your barrel best (bore sizes), ask the guy at the shop he should know what im talking about
Hopper- Viewloader 12v Revvy
Goggles- Whatever fits you best, try on goggles at your shop, make sure it has anti-fog lense
Tips- plug/cover that barrel when your not playing, keep those goggles on, dont cheat

Gumbe
03-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Marker- Tippmann 98c..
Paint- cheap stuff does me well
co2/Air- is you get the 98c co2 will do you fine....go with the mag-air
hoper- revvy
google-what ever you can get with the rest of your money
tips- have fun

RyanTheEskimo
03-19-2005, 12:29 PM
I didn't really want to get the Tippman 98 custom because of the fact that around where I live, EVERYONE has one. I wanted something a little different. And I've also been told that an automag, if setup right, can blow the **** outta a 98 custom.

Gumbe
03-19-2005, 12:30 PM
anything can blow the ef out of a tippmann 98c :shooting:

teufelhunden
03-19-2005, 12:34 PM
I didn't really want to get the Tippman 98 custom because of the fact that around where I live, EVERYONE has one. I wanted something a little different. And I've also been told that an automag, if setup right, can blow the **** outta a 98 custom.

Negative. If you have a "set up" 98c and a "set up 'Mag," at the same price, the 98 will outshoot the 'Mag. That's not to say that a $900 pneu 'Mag isn't gonna be able to have its way with the 98c..

And a $300 Ion embarasses both of them.

Gumbe
03-19-2005, 12:38 PM
man what are you talking about mag (mine) can shot 20bps.....i cant shot it that fast but on hyper mod it comes close.....tippmann caps at 13bps with a fully loaded one(unless there stuff i dont know about )...but the ion for that pice does embarese them

JimmyBeam
03-19-2005, 12:40 PM
And a $300 Ion embarasses both of them.

hell yea

but for a first marker, i would sugest a mech

Gumbe
03-19-2005, 12:41 PM
why......am sure the Ion isnt that COMPLECTED...well it wasnt when i was playing with it......

teufelhunden
03-19-2005, 12:48 PM
man what are you talking about mag (mine) can shot 20bps.....i cant shot it that fast but on hyper mod it comes close.....tippmann caps at 13bps with a fully loaded one(unless there stuff i dont know about )...but the ion for that pice does embarese them

..and how much did you spend on your 'Mag. Ebolted Tippmanns go for peanuts, and then of course there's the R/T.

RyanTheEskimo
03-19-2005, 12:55 PM
lol... I don't know what any of that crap means. But... any other suggestions? haha.

Gumbe
03-19-2005, 01:02 PM
i got my mag with everything there
-hyperframe
-max flow
-revy
-2 barrle
all for 500 bucks

johnson88
03-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Get the mag u will be different and have a almost unlimeted amunt of upgrades out there. Get a twelve volt revi hopper and a thermal mask. And a twenty onze co2. Blaze is very good paint imo.

teufelhunden
03-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Do you have to buy stuff from your shop? If you can buy online:

Proflex [mask]: $30
E-Spyder/TES [gun]: $100-120
CP 1 Piece [barrel]: $20-30
Evo II [hopper] with Y or Z board [the circuit board inside the hopper that controls feeding]: $40
Used nitro tank.. may as well get it from your shop, that's a decent deal for $40
And with money left over:
3.2 pack and pods [to carry extra paint with you.. obviously you won't carry 5 pods for your first time out, but you said you wanted to play tourneys later..]

That setup will be sufficient for rec ball and low level tourneys. It'll shoot faster than a 'Mag, parts are generally more available for Spyders than 'Mags [depending on your area, I guess], the mask you can keep forever, the hopper will be sufficient until you learn to shoot very fast, and packs don't get outdated, they just go out of style.

peewee
03-19-2005, 01:15 PM
I have both guns. 98C & the automag are great guns. Thats a good price on the mag. They are the two most durable, user friendly markers out there. The mag runs better with HPA ( what size tank is he selling you?) but can use co2 setup properly ( gas thru forgrip) . You want a revy. Blaze is good paint little on the small side. Barrels can be purchased fairly cheap here in the forum or hit ebay. There is just about every aftermarket part on the planet for sale used here at AO. :headbang:

abunkerer
03-19-2005, 01:27 PM
lol... I don't know what any of that crap means. But... any other suggestions? haha.

lol yeah, I suggest N2 and Level 10, but keep in mind that an LX needs N2 with output over800 for sustained high bps. Also, a mech mag with a properly tuned lx will benefit from a 4500 rather than 3000psi because the bolt needs about 800psi to cycle properly, so with 3000 psi you are looking at about only 2000 usable psi....4500=15shots per ci, 3000 = 10shots per ci.

-Sounds like this guy at the shop is helping you out, I would just do what he suggests (unless he offers you "Jesus juice") With all those automags lying around at his shop he has to be a good trustworthy guy, their goodness tends to rub off on people.

CKY_Alliance
03-19-2005, 03:16 PM
I would go with the mag specially with such a good price.But you said you could get a 3k tank. That will run outa air fairly quick with a mag so will you have acess to a fill station?

As far as upgrades go see if he has a ReTro valve or x valve and lvl 10. Also a ULE body not very likely for that price but you never know.

warbeak2099
03-19-2005, 04:01 PM
It sounds like a great deal. This guy is willing to sit down with you and teach you about the gun, that is fantastic. Just ask him to set you up with a basic, classic mag with a lvl 10. Deffinately get a nitro tank with it and a decent loader (revvy, reloader, ricochet). He sounds like he will take care of you. Go for it.