PDA

View Full Version : lookin into a Bass(im a lefty)

Gunther_mag_user
03-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Well I have decided I would like to learn how to play bass, and I was wondering what you guys would reccomend for a begining lefty. I would like it to be as cheap as possible, and have all the stuff I would need.

thanks for the help
Gunther

who_311
03-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Most big brands have left handed basses. I would go with a squire or something like that. One of those starter kits or something, just make sure its left handed. Most brands dont charge any more either, but some do, so just watch out.

alex

personman
03-20-2005, 07:48 PM
Learn righty. Trust me.

I started out playing guitar righty (i'm a lefty) and it was the wierdest thing. It felt so unnatural. But my guitar teacher was also a lefty who played righty, and his advice was to just learn righty. And he was right. (no pun intended)

There are alot more guitars/basses to choose from, they are cheaper, you can try out friends basses, etc..

It's defently awkward to start off with but now there is no way I could go back to playing left handed. No way. It's too wierd.

ascetic1
03-20-2005, 09:43 PM
Fender makes some cheap beginner gear, comes with case,strings amp(?), but im only speaking from what i have seen with a 6 string guitar...ibanez also makes bass, and so does yamaha...but shop around first to see which brand gives you the better deal for your money, and also find one you feel comfortable playing with, and which one sounds best to you, good luck with learning it!

who_311
03-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Learn righty. Trust me.

I started out playing guitar righty (i'm a lefty) and it was the wierdest thing. It felt so unnatural. But my guitar teacher was also a lefty who played righty, and his advice was to just learn righty. And he was right. (no pun intended)

There are alot more guitars/basses to choose from, they are cheaper, you can try out friends basses, etc..

It's defently awkward to start off with but now there is no way I could go back to playing left handed. No way. It's too wierd.
He does make a good point. But i wouldn't do that. But meh, thats my opinion.

The JOE
03-20-2005, 10:03 PM
If you honestly want to play lefty (I have couple of lefty friends who decided to play righty after they found out the sheer numbers available for right-handed people. I would just do what they did and play right handed.), then you should check out the left-handed Ibanez GSR200.

I'm not sure but there are also some cheaper Soundgear models that MIGHT be left-handed. But since I'm right-handed I don't know what models come in what hand-preferences...

Gunther_mag_user
03-20-2005, 11:22 PM
alright, ive been thinking about it and I really would like to learn to play righty. Would THIS (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=42/g=bass/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/519677/) be a good guitar for me? There arent many bass players up here where I live and I just wanted something to start out with.
What would you suggest I start out learning? I am going to be teaching myself so I will need some help.

thanks for the help
Gunther

ascetic1
03-21-2005, 03:12 PM
well do you know anything about music theory? if you do, then i would say teaching yourself would be the way to go...but if not, and you are just a beginner, try fishing around for affordable lessons, i myself took lessons for around 2 years, but didnt learn much(go figure) so then i decided to teach myself, and since i already had some prior experience its not that hard...the link you gave didnt show any particular guitar, but i found one that could suit you perfectly..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=42/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/519713/

cheap, and since ibaenz is the only bass brand of guitar i have heard of that is reliable and good sounding, you may be better off here...ok thats all

-=Squid=-
03-21-2005, 03:51 PM
I am a lefty, and play a right handed bass. Believe me, it's much easier. If you ever need help from another musician, etc, it is much easier on them to show you if you're playing the same style bass. Plus, left handed gear is far more expensive (typically) than right handed.

As for beginning equipment, I wouldn't personally recommend Fender (I really just hate the feel). I would say to go with the Ibanez Soundgear starter pack.

Don't skimp on music theory. It is very important, no matter what others try and tell you. Of course playing skill is more important, but a well kept bank of theory knowledge will help you become a better player. Practice scales ( a lot ), and try to avoid using a pick. It's what is commonly used in rock/metal, and well, I guess you can find it in any genre... I just don't think it's in true bass style to learn solely off a pick.

AGDlover
03-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Ya also a Lefty here i play bass and elect all righty i could never play lefty just hold them bolth(which ever bass your looking for) and just go with what feels better

personman
03-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Buy a cheap method basics book, essential elements or something like that. Go into a music store and tell them you are going to try to teach yourself bass. They have books with cd accompanyments, and videos if you'd like.
I really would recommend trying to take private lessons, but if you cant or just dont have the time then realise that you need to have patience when learning an instrument. If you cant play it right off the batt, take it slower and PRACTICE. Dont get frusterated just because you cant play some crazy bass solo from one of your favorate songs 2 months into learning the bass. Start with the basics and take your time.

AGDlover
03-21-2005, 05:07 PM
once your skilled enough or just want to lissen to some good bass lissen to a band called primus. And in the future when or if you start a band dont be demanding with you part if nobody can really hear it make them feel it. My band is unique by useing 2 bass players and 2 drums just be unique and dont coppy. You know when your starting i recomend to do cover song just to get a feel to what sounds you and your band feel comfortable playing. and then you can start makeing up your own songs. Just a few band tips

-=Squid=-
03-21-2005, 07:38 PM
once your skilled enough or just want to lissen to some good bass lissen to a band called primus. And in the future when or if you start a band dont be demanding with you part if nobody can really hear it make them feel it. My band is unique by useing 2 bass players and 2 drums just be unique and dont coppy. You know when your starting i recomend to do cover song just to get a feel to what sounds you and your band feel comfortable playing. and then you can start makeing up your own songs. Just a few band tips
lol