PDA

View Full Version : What barrel is more accurate?

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
11-19-2001, 05:53 PM
What barrel is more accurate?

FooTemps
11-19-2001, 06:13 PM
What paint are you using? I heard jacko had the smoothest inner bore. But it all depends on the paint...

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
11-19-2001, 06:43 PM
I dunno. I use Big Ball, RPS, and Diablo(somtimes)

(I might trade my CP for Jacko)

mac2k4
11-19-2001, 06:47 PM
basicly all barrels really shoot the same, spiral, strait porting...what aminly matteres is if the bore is might right(which prolly every barrel on the market nowadays is) and the paint to barrell match is good....

Puddleglum
11-26-2001, 02:51 PM
I think the Jacko get points because it is more eunique. You just don't see them as often. Nice barrel too.

PyRo
11-26-2001, 03:48 PM
Use a 12in barrel, anything more then that doesn't make it more accurate, and just wastes gas. Poring doesn't help accuracy, just makes it quieter and uses more gas. Any barrel after the porting is nolonger helping to push the ball, rather slowing it down.
You also want a barrel that matches your paint well. Should be a little resistance when you try and blow paint through. It shouldn't roll right through, and your face shouldn't turn blue trying to get it though. Anything between that is good.

tooslow
11-26-2001, 11:07 PM
Are we really going down this well worn path again? CoFFeY[NiTrO], youve been around long enough to know better...;)

Failure
11-26-2001, 11:54 PM
Pyro is that true about anything over 12" isn't adding to accuracy??

PyRo
11-27-2001, 05:40 PM
Anything over 11.5 of barrel isn't adding to accuracy.

Failure
11-27-2001, 07:13 PM
Thats good to know. I knew about the longer barrels using gas from last sunday when I switched my 16" boomstick to the 12" dye stainless. The velocity looked like it sky rocketed and it actually looked like it was more accurate but I could be mistaken. Good, no more 14" or 16" barrels

Bartleby
11-27-2001, 07:50 PM
alright, listen, a longer barrel does not make a gun more accurate or more efficient. we've already discussed accuracy but i think people still fail to understand the concept of gas hogs. what truly matters to make an efficient barrel is its effective barrel length (meaning, unported barrel). if you have an 8 inch barrel with no porting, it is going to be just as efficient as a 16 inch barrel with 8 inches of porting. the only difference the porting has on a barrel is to make it quieter. nothing more. they don't require more gas, and they don't make your gun more or less accurate.

PyRo
11-27-2001, 08:07 PM
Porting does require more gas. The balls needs to be pushed through the ported area the same way it needs to be pushed through the rest of the barrel. Only in this situation you are loosing air as it is pushed, reqiring more to get it out.
I'm going to go ahead and steal miscues analogy on this one. Imagine that you are drinking through a straw, now poke holes in the straw. Alot less gets through with the same effort. The same is true for ported barrels.

Bartleby
11-27-2001, 08:21 PM
ok pyro, you're right in that sense, but that is assuming you are using a relatively tight paint to barrel match. if it is a really large bore barrel and small paint, the there is no extra "push" needed to force the ball throught the ported part. but even so, the amount of force behind the ball is enough that the effect the ported part of the barrel has on the velocity of the ball is rather insignificant. unless, like i said before, you are using a really tight barrel.

PyRo
11-27-2001, 09:11 PM
A barrel that is the proper size for the paint you are shooting will be tight enough to be effected by porting. Only in the event that your paint is too small for your barrel will it not have an effect. However you are now loosing efficiancy because of the small paint-barrel match.

LeadBasedPaint
11-28-2001, 07:27 PM
Bartleby:

I never believed the bit about ported barrels being quieter untill I played with one. I shot them in my yard, and couldn't tell I a difference, but then I was playing a woods game and one guy was complaining after the game that although he could hear me shooting, he couldn't pinpoint where I was like he could with other guns. I just think thats kinda cool.

Bartleby
11-28-2001, 09:11 PM
yeah my friend has a 18" boomstick and a cocker. correct me if i am wrong but cockers are quiet as it is, with this thing all that can be heard is he sound of the back block being pushed back and forth. now that's freaky. :D

Panzerr
12-12-2001, 02:20 AM
All The same. Depends of the output pressure of you system to your barrel length and your paint to barrel match.