PDA

View Full Version : Banjo Bolt From Hell

prozac4545
03-23-2005, 04:18 AM
OK. My banjo bolt on my 68 classic has serious issues. I had a thread similar to this one about a month or so ago. I followed everyone's suggestions:

1) light sand any burrs in the hole for the banjo bolt.
2) new o rings
3) lube lube lube

The gun worked great after i did those things for all of 50 shots or so. While I was tinkering with my Mag I got an Impulse to tide me over (I HATE this Impulse!!!!). :cuss: Anyway... its back to its same old tricks. I got to the park and was chrono testing my gun (since it hadn't been done since it was fixed) and I was shooting around 102. That's no good, so I turned it a tad and was shooting in the 170s. Before I even touch ANYTHING else.. SHHHHHHHHHHHHH; there goes half my tank of air by the time I get it turned off.

The middle o ring on the banjo bolt gets caught on the railing/bolt and leaks from there. I didn't turn the bolt or anything after outting it in about a week or so ago; it just did it out of nowhere after a few shots. Just for the sake of having the info, I have an Air America 4500psi 68ci tank that I use on it. When I turn it on it shows the pressure at around 700-800 or so (I have no idea how to adjust this if its even possible). Am I getting too much pressure inside that its forcing the o ring off the bolt? These were new, proper sized o rings on there and they were in no way lose, old, dried out, ect. I recently bought a new air tank to use with my impulse, but it has a screw in connector (I'm probably taking it back anyway as the guy at Sports Authority tried to put C02 in it. It took me a second to realize what he was doing as I was still looking around a bit. I was told it could have possibly been damaged?!?)

If anyone has any more suggestions... PLEASE let me know.

On a side note.. if I run my Mag on a remote, can I just get an extension type hose or do I need to buy an additional regulator remote hose? I'm planning on getting a remote pac in the not so distant future, so any help here would be appreciated as well.

BigEvil
03-23-2005, 07:41 AM
what do you mean by "Banjo bolt" on your 68 classic? I thought Banjo bolts were only used on the original RTs

prozac4545
03-23-2005, 05:31 PM
what do you mean by "Banjo bolt" on your 68 classic? I thought Banjo bolts were only used on the original RTs

Oh. I thought those were one in the same. :l I got the gun used so I don't have any paper work or anything like that. All I know is what I've read online. :tard:

SocialD
03-24-2005, 02:08 PM
It sounds like you do have a classic RT. As mentioned, the classic RT uses a Banjo bolt. A classic 68 Automag uses a field strip screw than doesn't use o-rings except for a flat o-ring under the head of the screw to keep it from loosening.

Anyway, make sure that you have COMPLETELY degassed your marker before removing the banjo bolt. Sometimes the pressure in the valve will cause it to push against the banjo bolt and that force will cause the o-ring to shear as you try to remove it. Do you have some kind of quick disconnect between the bottle and your valve? I don't believe that the AA air systems bleed off after they are shut off.

As far as for the remote, I recommend against them. I know that it is personal preference. Keeping the bottle on marker is my preference. Besides, it is just one more thing to worry about. Remote hoses were great when we had to play with co2 as it gave the CO2 a little more time to turn to a gas. However, they really aren't necessary when you are running HPA.

In case I didn't dissuade you, they make a couple of different types of hoses. They make steel braided hose that is about 30" long and coiled remote hose. Either will work fine.

I think that this is the manual that you need:
http://www.airgun.com/Images/rtmanual.pdf

prozac4545
03-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Do you have some kind of quick disconnect between the bottle and your valve?

Yes I do. For months when I first got it, I bled the excess air by giving the banjo bolt a slight turn with out a single problem. I guess i was just lucky up until recently with it. but this last time I had the problem, I didn't mess with the banjo bolt at all after it was in. I hand tighten it and give it about a quarter turn w/ an allen wrench. I never doubted for a second that it wasn't user error. I still consider myself a noob.

As far as the remote goes, I was just looking to drop some weight off my marker. The tank I have weighs about 5 lbs. All in all I'm looking at about 9-10 lbs to hold up for 3-4 hours at a time with everything on my gun. Its like when your teacher would make you stick your arms out and put an english book in each hand and hold it for an hour during recess for talking in class. It was fine the first 20 -30 mins but damn they got heavy. But yeah. I may try it out and see how I like it. It seems like I could make my RT really low profile if I bypass the gas thru and take it off and maybe get a warp feed and a remote. all I know is I hate this Impulse I have. It chops like crazy compared to my RT (seeing how it has NEVER chopped).

Thanks for the link, clarification and the heads up. I guess I need to find some sort of go between for the QDs to release the pressure. I'm going to head out and buy a handful of o rings at Home Depot and see if it want to cooperate.