PDA

View Full Version : Possible fix for aluminum body problems..

93civiccpe
03-24-2005, 07:51 AM
Hello,
I know that some of the aftermarket aluminim bodies like the IT body have the known problem of people overtightening the front frame screw and stripping out the aluminum threads because a steel screw has stronger threads than the aluminum. When that happens I know it is costly to fix. I have a possible idea. I went to Lowes and picked up a few packs of Nylon screws in their specialty screws container. The correct size nylon screw is a 10-32-1, although you will need to trim about 1/4 an inch off the end for it to be the right size. I trimmed the screw, put the body back together with it, and it went in tight and so far seems pretty rugged. I figured I would rather strip the nylon threads and have lost 25 cents instead of ruining a good body. I will continue to test and verify it can handle some abuse. Hope this suggestion might help someone else.

LudavicoSoldier
03-24-2005, 09:10 AM
Should work fine for the front frame screw. Dont even think of trying it on the valve screw though.

viper_ssc
03-24-2005, 04:17 PM
I'll try this if I can before I sell my mag. That happened to me with my IT body, but what I did was get a screw that was too long for the front grip and then shaved it down to the correct length. There is still a little side-side movement with the body, but it seems fine. It did not happen from over tightening it, it was because it fell, first time a mag ever broke because it was dropped. It fell and landed just right to strip some of the threads and pop the screw out.