PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area Paintball finally opening

evildead420
03-24-2005, 10:49 AM
god damn, took them a while but its finally going to be open. a new indoor facility thats really close to my area.

http://www.bapaintball.com/

i might be going for the opener but ill check it out sometime soon.

CrimsonGhost
03-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Nice, WOnder who the owners are.
I sort of miss Action Zone in SJ .

SCpoloRicker
03-24-2005, 11:44 AM
I've seen pics of the building they are using; its going to be huge!

To my knowledge, they are still building inside. But we're hoping for four full size fields, with raised observation areas.

mag-owner
03-24-2005, 01:06 PM
nice...i will be going :)...driving to frisco airport is a journey :p

OmniDynmc
03-24-2005, 02:52 PM
*sigh*

Field paint only and field fills only.

I hate when fields do that crap, it's annoying.

Greg

Blennidae
03-24-2005, 04:05 PM
*sigh*

Field paint only and field fills only.

Indoor places ususally have to because they are paying rent on a building. Its the price you have to pay for the conveniece.

I couldn't find a page with prices.

OmniDynmc
03-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Indoor places ususally have to because they are paying rent on a building. Its the price you have to pay for the conveniece.

I couldn't find a page with prices.

Then charge a higher entrance fee.

Most that I know who use HPA have their own tanks to fill off of and bought them because in the end it's a cheaper route. Fields like that make buying your own tanks a waste.

And on the paint subject, personally, I only shoot one type of paint out of my guns, I've always found it annoying to purchase paint from a field, specially when you can't get the type you shoot half the time. Not to mention the inflated price.

I wish PBers would boycot fields that do it.

Greg

SCpoloRicker
03-24-2005, 06:11 PM
OmniDynmc:Field paint is an absolute requirement if you're going to try and run an indoor field, of this size, in Silicon Valley, let alone in San Jose proper.

Blenn: pricing has not been finalized yet. I was told ~20-25 entry and air, and ~50 for a case.

Conversekidz
03-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Nice, WOnder who the owners are.
I sort of miss Action Zone in SJ .

I loved playing at action zone, I miss to so much.

Mr. BoBo
03-24-2005, 08:20 PM
I emailed them today and a group of us is going to play on Saturday:

Paint is ZAP 500/25 1000/40 2000/70
Entrance is $22
All day HPA is $15
Co2 is $5 a pop (no filling my 4oz then)

Flooring is carpet.

Fields are all 50x160 i.e. 8000 sq ft.

Conversekidz
03-24-2005, 08:22 PM
I emailed them today and a group of us is going to play on Saturday:

Paint is ZAP 500/25 1000/40 2000/70
Entrance is $22
All day HPA is $15
Co2 is $5 a pop (no filling my 4oz then)

Flooring is carpet.

Fields are all 50x160 i.e. 8000 sq ft.

omg....70 for a case, plus 22 to play, and 15 for air.... its going to be $115 with tax....

CrimsonGhost
03-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Hellooo pump field:) :cheers:

Mr. BoBo
03-24-2005, 10:03 PM
$70 a case - that's a bag each for pumpers and a box of 12gs from wally mart.

I guess my mag stays in the bag on Saturday. Now, which phantom will it be . . .

wanna-b-ballin'
03-25-2005, 12:33 AM
for 70 a case, if u divide it 4 ways with 4 people, then it comes out to 17.50 per person.
plus the admission, and 5 bux for co2.
with tax and everything it would come out to like 50 bux.
some time soon after the norcal vs. socal event, i'd be down for a day there playing pump.
we would need to set it up so atleast 4 of us come and play pump to keep it fairly cheap according to their prices.
if there are other people that shoot alot with their pumps, i could split 1000 with u i guess.
would anybody want to do that?

Mr. BoBo
03-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Always up for a pump day :-)

I'll let you know how it looks.

evildead420
03-26-2005, 03:27 PM
so i didnt get to check it out yet but im reading reviews from other forums...

pros: they have 2 huge airball fields, they have black lights set up, there white paint is great for that situation, glowing flying paintballs is cool.

cons : PRICES!!! YOU HAVE TO BUY PAINT THERE :eek: Zap $70 a case, $22 entry fee, $15 HPA all day air. 107 total + tax. regular pb players not so friendly prices. who knows, it might go down.

i still want to see this place, it sounds like a good potential field to play at, for pumps that is. finally can put my sydarm to use. :cheers:

Mr. BoBo
03-26-2005, 09:05 PM
Here's a link to my pbreview of BAP:

Bay Area Paintball (http://www.pbreview.com/fields/reviews/?field=1665&sort=new&n=1#20462)

and the text:

Visited this field today (1st full open day) and had a great time.

Price:
This has already been covered and yes, it is more expensive as it's FPO. For me, this is the same as eating at McDonald's or eating at a good restaurant. The additional fees were very much worth it.

If you can't control how much you shoot, or can't afford it - go somewhere else.

$22 entry covers from 10am to 11pm.

Paint:
Field paint is BAP branded ZAP. From the six people who I was playing with, only one had an issue with the paint. This I put down to a player problem, rather than a paint issue. Paint is in the .683/.685 range and was in good condition. It shot well from semi's and pumps and I saw no-one on the field with paint problems.

Staging Area:
Staging area is fairly small (about 5 8ft tables with chairs) and is carpeted. Not sure this is the best idea but it made it very cool to hang out on. The staging area backs onto the field and you can see what's happening on the field through the windows.

The co2 fill station appeared to be through the staging area, which meant people were always coming by but that's a small inconvenience.

Bathrooms:
REAL bathrooms, 1 Men/1 Women. Clean, with soap and a real sink! Needs some grip strips as the floor is linoleum which doesn't work well with paint covered shoes.

Shack:
The central facility was very well thought out - the fill station is in a separate window at the back of the shack so people coming in don't conflict with people getting fills.

Vending Machines:
No machines yet but they are on the way.

Lockers:
Didn't use them, seemed small (high school) but perfect for keys' wallet, spare expensive marker.

Fields:
They rock! 2 airball on AstroTurf fields, approx 50x160 each and they put them together at players request.

Owner told me they clean up every night and have the floor professionally cleaned every 2 weeks. I saw the cleaning crew in action and they were pretty through.

They have viewing platforms at the end that you can get up onto and shoot from. This changes the way the game is played a lot and all the players I spoke to, didn't like it.

Rules:
*No dead mans walk
*You can coach from the deadbox i.e. dead men DO talk - the only field I've seen where this is permitted.
*FPS is 260 and it's enforced
*Bunkering is ok if agreed by ALL players, 10 ft surrender rule if not. I love this!

Refs:
All refs appear to be at least 18, they run good games, they aren't afraid to get in for paint checks, they frown on wiping, they yell to be heard, they are easily identifiable and they balance teams well.

No lunch break which is great and they play with whoever is available. 10 players on the field - 5v5. No waiting for other players to arrive. From 10:30 to noon, I played more games than I normally do in a full day. Games are fast and turnaround is great.

Wanna get water or lunch - go sit out a few games.

Summary:
*Don't play here if you wipe or have an attitude, the refs don't tolerate it
*Bring knee-pads, it's AstroTurf on concrete so learn how to slide properly
*Bring food and water - there is an In/Out opening on the corner but it's not open yet.
*Don't wear cleats - sneakers!
*2 blocks from the freeway.

Overall this is the best field I have ever played at. My next visit will be at night to check their black light cannons :-)

Evil Bob
03-27-2005, 08:46 PM
Anyone from the bay area remember TAG when it was next to San Jose airport? Their warehouse playing field was 250,000 sq feet and included a 3 story structure in the middle of it.

-Evil Bob

Z-man
03-27-2005, 08:55 PM
Anyone from the bay area remember TAG when it was next to San Jose airport? Their warehouse playing field was 250,000 sq feet and included a 3 story structure in the middle of it.

-Evil Bob

Are you sure you are not thinking of Action Zone? that place was a mess. They never cleaned it and you literally slide 2-3 feet more after you stopped moving (and don't even try going up the ramp to the 2nd story of the structure). They died off about 5-6 years ago right?

As for this new feild, I would be up for trying it out as a later NorCal AO Day. I have not played indoor paintball since that slime-pit Action Zone.

CrimsonGhost
03-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Lol, AZ slides were great!! You had to be able to do velocity + distance +mass = in your head on the run or you would over shoot your bunker and try to scramble to the bunker:)

Yeah the closed up about 5 years ago.

It was fun though...but definatly scary when moving at speed

wanna-b-ballin'
03-27-2005, 11:39 PM
so this sounds like a really nice place.

anybody take any pictures that they could post?

how much paint did people shoot on average?

Big Weapons
03-27-2005, 11:53 PM
As for this new feild, I would be up for trying it out as a later NorCal AO Day.

Do it do it! Maybe sometime in late May?

Mr. BoBo
03-28-2005, 02:05 AM
How much paint do you normally shoot?

I played pump all day, I played twice as many games as I normally do and I used about half as much paint.

Games are fast paced!

Pics are due up in the next week or so.

It's open on week nights as well I think CrimsonGhost and I might be going Wednesday 20th April but defo before end of April.

Curly
03-28-2005, 02:33 AM
Sounds like a good field, though I probably wont play there... I tend to shoot close to two cases in a day, field paint doesnt really work for me. I guess I'm just too used to playing nppl and xball styles of play... cant conserve paint very well. I would like to see some pictures though.

jewie27
03-28-2005, 03:12 AM
Sup Curly? I think I met you last Satruday at HB. I was wearing my PRide jersey.

jenarelJAM
03-28-2005, 04:30 AM
well, since i work at venture (venturegamespaintball.com) and get free paint there, field paint only doesnt really work for me. if only they turned it into like another reball training center out here int he bay. i could REALLY REALLy use one of those thats closer than illinios. also, $15 for all day air, $22 for admission is really steep. if they've got good games/refs/fields it might be worth it, but im too cheap and im used to venture air fills($2 for the first, $1 after that, at 3000 psi). if they ever come out with a reball training center somewhat close/in the pay area, someone pm me and let me know, cause ill b down there in an instant. 50$ for open time for a month, thats such a great deal, i would go there for 12 hours a weekend, 4 weekends a month. hm, let me go ask my mom if we can move out to Illinios...

Evil Bob
03-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Are you sure you are not thinking of Action Zone? that place was a mess. They never cleaned it and you literally slide 2-3 feet more after you stopped moving (and don't even try going up the ramp to the 2nd story of the structure). They died off about 5-6 years ago right?

As for this new feild, I would be up for trying it out as a later NorCal AO Day. I have not played indoor paintball since that slime-pit Action Zone.

Absolutely positive, TAG was right off of Martin Ave right next to SJC airport. It opened up 1987 and closed around 1990, completely different location then AZ, AZ came much later, was much smaller, and definitely not as cool.

-Evil Bob

mrbrutal
03-28-2005, 02:53 PM
I took a look at BAP on Saturday and it looked decent. Will probably give a try at some point. Mr Bobo, were you there sat too? I saw 2 guys playing pump, a big guy and a smaller guy around 1-2pm. I think its nice that there is finally a place on the penninsula to play. I thought that someone should open up a place in South San Fran since there is alot of warehouse space out there. Ive gone to op paintball a few times but their fields were much too small. I hope this place gets better and lowers their prices a bit

There was another place in SJ called TAP, The Action Palace. It was off of Scott I believe. They used the whole space as one field with a large 2 story building in the center of the playfield. They had an open courtyard in the middle of the building that allowed players from different levels to shoot at each other. The second floor was open while the first floor was a dark maze. Their rentals were PGPs.

Action Zone was in Newark near the New Park Mall. Walls were thick layers of caked paint. The paint could have stood on their own. Hay was used to cover the ground but that just added to the stink of the place rather than helping with the traction. I remember they used to turn off all the lights and you were free to move wherever you wanted, if you knew where you were going. Run n' gun? Yeah, more like slide n' spray :D First time I went there, they said field guns only so we didnt bring our equipment. When we got there, we played against self-equipped players, what they hell?!?!?! :cuss: These guys were hitting the wall behind us while we were lucky to get 3/4 to them. first and last time I played there

Lastly, there was another place on Uranium drivein San Jose. Some said that Bob long practiced there. I never got a chance to try that place out before they closed.

Mr. BoBo
03-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Mr Bobo, were you there sat too? I saw 2 guys playing pump, a big guy and a smaller guy around 1-2pm.

Yeah - me and buddies, there were 3 of us pumping at one point. I was the one in the SCP t-shirt :)

Conversekidz
03-28-2005, 04:42 PM
The place on Uranium drive in san jose was action zone.

"There was another place in SJ called TAP, The Action Palace. It was off of Scott I believe. They used the whole space as one field with a large 2 story building in the center of the playfield. They had an open courtyard in the middle of the building that allowed players from different levels to shoot at each other. The second floor was open while the first floor was a dark maze. Their rentals were PGPs. "

That was action zone, you are getting places confused.

Action zone rented bushmaster pumps and automags, then when spyder came around they rented them and automags and got rid of the pumps.

Curly
03-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Sup Curly? I think I met you last Satruday at HB. I was wearing my PRide jersey.

Nope, I'm in boston right now at school, you prolly met Scooter, Skirts and some of the other guys...

wanna-b-ballin'
03-29-2005, 12:57 AM
so how much paint did people shoot on average?

evildead420
04-03-2005, 09:11 PM
there site has posted pics. ill help myself to post them, the field bunkers look too straight for me, but looks great. if they angled them a little bit, it would be awesome.

http://www.bapaintball.com/images/outside_1.jpg

http://www.bapaintball.com/images/inside_3.jpg

http://www.bapaintball.com/images/inside_4.jpg

http://www.bapaintball.com/images/inside_5.jpg

http://www.bapaintball.com/images/inside_6.jpg

w/out any air bunkers

http://www.bapaintball.com/images/inside_1.jpg

http://www.bapaintball.com/images/inside_2.jpg