PDA

View Full Version : Physically possible..

Maggot6
03-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Is it physically let alone mentally possible to hold your breath so long that you kill yourself? I am not thinking of commiting suicide, I just thought it would be interesting if your body did not have an override to keep you alive..

personman
03-24-2005, 10:51 PM
At first I was going to say yeah, it's physically possible.. but now that I think about it I think you'd pass out before your heart actually stopped beating.. not 100% sure though.

And yeah It would be pretty hard mentally to do that, you'd have to be pretty focused.

Please dont try to find out :p

Lohman446
03-24-2005, 10:58 PM
Not possible.. at least for me... can get to the point of hurting... but I didn't even get to the point of passing out before I just kinda forgot to not breath.

Miscue
03-24-2005, 11:08 PM
Is it physically let alone mentally possible to hold your breath so long that you kill yourself? I am not thinking of commiting suicide, I just thought it would be interesting if your body did not have an override to keep you alive..

I think you'll lose consciousness first, and then keep breathing.

I doubt that a normal human being can do this. Your brain's automatic responses will defeat your will power. I'd guess that under the right conditions, with the right individual whose body/brain is different, maybe it could be done... but that would be the exceptional case.

Big'n slo
03-24-2005, 11:08 PM
Do a little research on extreme free divers and endurance divers.

Crazy bastards :tard:

Destructo6
03-24-2005, 11:50 PM
If you can hold your breath long enough to pass out, your autonomic nervous system will start you breathing again. The Medulla Oblongata, specifically.

Lohman446
03-25-2005, 12:01 AM
Free ION to the first person to post on here, and prove, that they successfully killed themselves by holding there breath.

Disclaimer: JOKE

White_Noise
03-25-2005, 01:39 AM
i believe it would be possible. very hard, but possible. would take lots of concentration, and control of the body and mind. someone like a munk could possibly do it.

nippinout
03-25-2005, 02:28 AM
If you were able to hold your breath until you passed out, and die, you would have to do it underwater. Otherwise, you'd just start breathing as you passed out. If you were underwater, you'd inhale water and drown.

BlackWeenie
03-25-2005, 03:23 AM
If you can hold your breath long enough to pass out, your autonomic nervous system will start you breathing again. The Medulla Oblongata, specifically.

correct.

Maggot6
03-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Do a little research on extreme free divers and endurance divers.

Crazy bastards :tard:
Are those the freaks who like, make their heart beat 6 times a minute or somehting, so that they can stay down for like 15 minutes no tanks etc?

xmetal2001
03-25-2005, 01:56 PM
No, Thats why when you drown, its not of suffocation, its because your body is trying to breathe water.

Warewolf50
03-25-2005, 02:21 PM
Are those the freaks who like, make their heart beat 6 times a minute or somehting, so that they can stay down for like 15 minutes no tanks etc?

i forgot what the record is but they go down to these depths that are crazy.

PissedGodzilla
03-25-2005, 02:49 PM
Take it from a scientist, It is physically impossible to stop yourself from breathing. At the point you lose consciousness, you will no longer have the ability to hold your breath, and you will breath again.

Actually, your body's fight or flight response will not even let you get to the point of loss of consciousness, you might get really lightheaded, but you will never fully lose consciousness. It's physically impossible.

SlipknotX556
03-25-2005, 03:04 PM
This was on King Of The Hill yesterday, Bill wanted to know where all the Alamo beer was, he said he was gonna hold his breath until Hank told him. Then Dale said, he'll pass out before he dies, he always does....

lol

MonsterMag
03-25-2005, 09:05 PM
One of by friends can hold his breath and black out. So yeah its possable

tony3
03-25-2005, 09:28 PM
It is physically impossible, your body won't allow it. It is the same thing with trying to drown yourself in water, you can't do it. It has something to do with your nervous system and respiratory system.

MarkM
03-25-2005, 09:32 PM
It is physically impossible, your body won't allow it. It is the same thing with trying to drown yourself in water, you can't do it. It has something to do with your nervous system and respiratory system.

I think you missed typed something there...How did all those who went down with the Titanic (picked something we all knew and hopefully wouldn't offend) drown if it wasn't with water.

fcpchop
03-25-2005, 09:36 PM

last time I checked it is very possible to drown yourself in water. Holding your breath untill you die on the other hand is impossible, as it has been explained many times on this thread.

BTW good thread *Thumbs Up* :cool:

EDIT: Typo

tony3
03-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Go into a pool and try to hold your breath till you drown, and try to hold yourself down while you are at it, it is almost impossible. I am probably wrong but whatever.

MarkM
03-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Go into a pool and try to hold your breath till you drown, and try to hold yourself down while you are at it, it is almost impossible. I am probably wrong but whatever.

It was already explained ..

No, Thats why when you drown, its not of suffocation, its because your body is trying to breathe water.

Igotu
03-25-2005, 10:44 PM
My health teacher talked about this once she said that babies will hold their breath to fall a sleep at night.

Warewolf50
03-27-2005, 05:23 PM

so your trying to tell me southpark lied.

FooTemps
03-27-2005, 05:28 PM
you can drown yourself in water... just pass out when you're already underwater and hope you don't face up when you float to the surface.