PDA

View Full Version : 32* new gun that dosent need a tank?

atm743
03-25-2005, 12:07 PM
http://www.nationalpaintball.com/pdfs/pressreleases/eVolt.pdf

i was surfing around and found this

now thats somthing cool

never needing to buy air :D

B.A.M.
03-25-2005, 12:12 PM
looks kinda like the smg for halo2

teufelhunden
03-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Yeah... came out at Shot Show. Like, a couple months ago.

Jack & Coke
03-25-2005, 12:24 PM
http://www.pb2x.com/images/pr/pr215/evolt01.jpg http://www.pb2x.com/images/pr/pr215/evolt02_t.jpg

The EVolt™ paintball marker is powered by a rechargeable 18 volt battery pack. The battery not only powers the cycling operation of the marker, but actually generates the compressed air required to launch the paintballs. Air tanks not included... and not needed.

The entry-level, first generation EVolt™ paintball marker is currently capable of cycling at a rate of over six paintballs-per-second with velocities up to the "industry standard" minimum of 300 feet-per-second. A fully charged battery gives over 500 shots at a consistent velocity. The battery may be recharged in approximately 90 minutes, and can be replaced in seconds. The ambidextrous "Bull-Pup" design includes a picattinny sight rail, removable clamping feed neck, "Timmy" barrel threads, angled foregrip and lockable velocity adjustment. Accessories are currently being developed.

Production quantities are expected in time for the Fall/Christmas 2005 selling season.

read more discussion here:

(Jan 2005) http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=815960&highlight=%2Bevolt
(Feb 2005) http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=291064

teufelhunden
03-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Also here: http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=165664&highlight=evolt

TheTramp
03-25-2005, 12:57 PM
I love the fact that it says "Timmy" barrel threads because we're not allowed to use the word "Cocker" any more. :D

PsychoBaller
03-25-2005, 01:08 PM
Hmm.... only 500 shots on a charge o hte battery... 18v bah... recharge every 90min? bah.

Ill take a 2-3lb tank anyday

Nice concept though

p8ntball365
03-25-2005, 03:19 PM
I think they were focusing on safety also, PsychoBaller. It is much safer to use a battery than it is to carry around a bottle shaped metal containing 4500psi.

Python14
03-25-2005, 03:25 PM
Can't get shocked by a tank though.....and water doesn't really harm a tank.

p8ntball365
03-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Looks like the battery is internal, so how would it get wet? submerge it in water? How do you get shocked by a rechargeble battery? I never have.

p8ntball365
03-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Oh and would you rather have a tank blow half of your face off (has happened I saw pic btw) or get a zapped?

Python14
03-25-2005, 03:34 PM
I've been zapped by many batteries. Never had a tank explode. I'll stick with my Peanut

Dryden
03-25-2005, 03:47 PM
I like it. Sure, it's a bit unwieldly and not too efficient now, but in two or three years, it will be. A smaller, lighter, and more powerful battery will eventually be pioneered for an application such as this, and depending on how the air compression system works, it's conceivable that the technology could eventually allow the marker to be dialled into 290fps and left alone. A battery powered marker opens the door to a whole range of other on-marker technologies, such as self-chrono, realtime velocity adjustment and sharing battery power for the loader.

I think it's brilliant for a first generation product. I won't give up my Automag now, but by maybe 2008 or 2009 this will be a serious, competitive alternative.

-- Funny ... post 666 is in praise of a 32 Degree's product. :D

wanna-b-ballin'
03-25-2005, 04:43 PM
I think they were focusing on safety also, PsychoBaller. It is much safer to use a battery than it is to carry around a bottle shaped metal containing 4500psi.

no. they are not focused on safety. read the text carefully, and you will find this: "minimum of 300 feet-per-second"

Chronobreak
03-25-2005, 05:06 PM
repeat thread? :rolleyes:

p8ntball365
03-25-2005, 05:21 PM
no. they are not focused on safety. read the text carefully, and you will find this: "minimum of 300 feet-per-second"
hey bub, how about you read the text carefully

The entry-level, first generation EVolt™ paintball marker is currently capable of cycling at a rate of over six
paintballs-per-second with velocities up to the “industry standard” maximum of 300 feet-per-second. A fully
charged battery gives over 500 shots at a consistent velocity. The battery may be recharged in approximately 90
minutes, and can be replaced in seconds. The ambidextrous “Bull-Pup” design includes a picattinny sight rail,
removable clamping feed neck, “Timmy” barrel threads, angled foregrip and lockable velocity adjustment.
Accessories are currently being developed.
Production quantities are expected in time for the Fall/Christmas 2005 selling season.

ICP
03-25-2005, 06:13 PM
hah!! I love it. Great for them games out back in the woods with 3-5 buddies. Don't go through many shots so it's perfect, no air tank, rechargeable battery. If they can get the mechanics and battery , engineered to be a smaller package, I would def. get one, or even if the price is right for that one.

AzrealDarkmoonZ
03-25-2005, 06:16 PM
I kinda doubt battery life will get much better, what may get better is the utilization of that battery. Batteries have historically been behind, when it comes to electronic devices.

Az

ICP
03-25-2005, 06:27 PM
last longer, maybe not, smaller, most def. So instead of carrying a harness with 2-7 pods full of paint, you carry 2-3 batteries in your pocket/vest/harness type thing. Makes you more mobile. Man I have to see one of these things, maybe two, so I can tear one apart and look at it.

FSU_Paintball
03-25-2005, 06:42 PM

Actually, Manike (who had a LARGE hand in creating this marker) stated that the aim of this marker is to allow people who don't have easy access to CO2 to play the game.

Dryden
03-25-2005, 06:48 PM
hah!! I love it. Great for them games out back in the woods with 3-5 buddies. Don't go through many shots so it's perfect, no air tank, rechargeable battery. If they can get the mechanics and battery , engineered to be a smaller package, I would def. get one, or even if the price is right for that one.
Right. This is the perfect solution for those who want to play, but don't have a field, pro-shop, etc within a reasonable drive. Just order some paint online, charge up, and go hunt your buddies out back in the woods. It's also something fun to play with out back when you do own all that other gear, and are just too lazy to go get an air fill. :) Obviously, at 6bps nobody is suggesting this is ready for anything more than casual, fun play. Imagine that ... having 'fun' while playing with your buds ... :tard:

Maybe if the battery technology doesn't advance, it could still be developed as a clip-like, quick release system, where you can change out the battery every 500 shots on the field in a second or two. I really don't see the issue here ... I spent more than 5 years hauling two spare 7oz tanks in a fanny pack, and those could take a bit of time to change, especially under fire.

p8ntball365
03-25-2005, 08:46 PM
manike...the guy on this forum?

wanna-b-ballin'
03-25-2005, 09:09 PM
hey bub, how about you read the text carefully

The entry-level, first generation EVolt™ paintball marker is currently capable of cycling at a rate of over six
paintballs-per-second with velocities up to the “industry standard” maximum of 300 feet-per-second. A fully
charged battery gives over 500 shots at a consistent velocity. The battery may be recharged in approximately 90
minutes, and can be replaced in seconds. The ambidextrous “Bull-Pup” design includes a picattinny sight rail,
removable clamping feed neck, “Timmy” barrel threads, angled foregrip and lockable velocity adjustment.
Accessories are currently being developed.

no. read post #4 by jack &coke. clearly says minimum.

tony3
03-25-2005, 09:15 PM
Actually, Manike (who had a LARGE hand in creating this marker) stated that the aim of this marker is to allow people who don't have easy access to CO2 to play the game.

Wow, I never even thought of that, makes everything so much simpler for people wanting to play without access to airfills.

p8ntball365
03-26-2005, 07:20 AM
Umm well read the .pdf It clearly says maximum

frontrunner
03-26-2005, 08:53 AM
i'll stick wiht a good tank over a bat. your forgetting they get old and some time leak acid plus there arnt light either

MadPSIence
03-26-2005, 09:15 AM
lmfao. that thing is huge and doesn't even have a hop on it. Good luck seeing that at NPPL. Any idea how frikken loud it would also be? Think small air-compressor. How much guts does it take for a compressor to get 800 psi out of the atmosphere? lots! I want a video of this thing.

SteelSoul
03-26-2005, 09:24 AM
That looks kewl to me
Makes me want to get one shoot it a few games and then store it for ol school ball in 5 years :)

tony3
03-26-2005, 09:55 AM
lmfao. that thing is huge and doesn't even have a hop on it. Good luck seeing that at NPPL. Any idea how frikken loud it would also be? Think small air-compressor. How much guts does it take for a compressor to get 800 psi out of the atmosphere? lots! I want a video of this thing.

Ya, definitely looks like a tourney gun to me :rolleyes: Honestly how many 300 dollars guns do you see being used in the nppl? Almost zero.

Lohman446
03-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Right. This is the perfect solution for those who want to play, but don't have a field, pro-shop, etc within a reasonable drive. Just order some paint online, charge up, and go hunt your buddies out back in the woods. It's also something fun to play with out back when you do own all that other gear, and are just too lazy to go get an air fill. :) Obviously, at 6bps nobody is suggesting this is ready for anything more than casual, fun play. Imagine that ... having 'fun' while playing with your buds ... :tard:

Maybe if the battery technology doesn't advance, it could still be developed as a clip-like, quick release system, where you can change out the battery every 500 shots on the field in a second or two. I really don't see the issue here ... I spent more than 5 years hauling two spare 7oz tanks in a fanny pack, and those could take a bit of time to change, especially under fire.

I have to agree on this. Talk to your buddies who don't play paintball - ask them if 500 shots in a single day is sufficient and they will likely tell you yes. For the vast majority of the new market this marker will have a lot of appeal. Who wants to keep CO2 around, or the restraints of nitro? THis is simple - plug it in and play, that will have a lot of appeal to a lot of people.

oldsoldier
03-26-2005, 10:43 AM
They make it rugged, like a tippy, it could be a field marker. Other than that, I see limited use in the sport. Much easier to just carry a tank, than change batteries every 500 shots. Besides, I'm sure as the thing loses voltage, you FPS drops....it is a good concept though. This could be a serious breakthrough in the next few years.

Of course, it could DIAF as well.

manike
03-26-2005, 11:31 AM
manike...the guy on this forum?

Yes. :D

The main reasons for a lot of this gun's design are safety based. You won't be able to shoot crazy hot with it. You won't have any safety issues from compressed gases.

It's also designed to help the grass roots of the industry and people that can't get easy access to fills.

I made a huge post about this in the original thread.

Oldsoldier, we actually have some clever software that keeps the velocity up and consistent even as the battery starts to die. :clap: It's actually far harder to get a tank filled than it is to charge a battery... a lot less safe also.

This isn't for tourney ball, it's for playing with your friends and getting started. :cheers:

manike
03-26-2005, 11:34 AM
no. read post #4 by jack &coke. clearly says minimum.

Yes but his post is NOT what it says in our press release.

Safety was one of the major reasons for the development of this system, and it has been designed so you can't shoot it hot. :nono: :shooting:

teufelhunden
03-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Safety was one of the major reasons for the development of this system, and it has been designed so you can't shoot it hot. :nono: :shooting:

Unfortunately, I can see that cutting your sales on this marker.

manike
03-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Unfortunately, I can see that cutting your sales on this marker.

I can live with that.

Sometimes being reponsible doesn't make you the quick $$$ but it keeps you in for the long run.

We understand that. :cheers:

vf-xx
03-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Manike:

any chance we'll get to see a quick change 10round spring loader for this thing?

I think that'd be a really cool way to run that.

manike
03-26-2005, 11:58 AM
We have several different feed concepts in development/consideration. ;)

Beemer
03-26-2005, 12:16 PM
It's actually far harder to get a tank filled than it is to charge a battery... a lot less safe also.

I guess the fill thing would depend on Where you are at the time. This will be good for renegade playing. Can always use more of that.

So you think the cylinders we use arent safe.
Alot less safe........What do you mean? Whats unsafe about the co2 or HPA cylinders we use?
Could it be the uninformed uneducated user?

Muzikman
03-26-2005, 12:49 PM
beemer,

I don't think he is saying the tanks we use are unsafe, but I am sure they are not as safe as a battery pack. Case in point, which would you rather smash with a 20lb hammer, an HPA tank or a 18v battery pack? Batteries are pretty fool proof. Just don't stick your tongue to the terminals and you will be fine. Filling HPA or even CO2 can be dangerous, the few deaths caused by CO2 tanks is proof of this. How many people have you heard die from charging their camcorder battery?

hardr0ck68
03-26-2005, 12:51 PM
beemer i honestly wounder how long you have been playing with that comment.

I have played tournys at about every level and have seen some VERY scary stuff. Macro and micro line blow outs are common (one knocked my inner ear around pretty good), filling to 2500 on a WWII vintage air compressor used origionally to fill flame thorwers (local feild that thankfully went under), i dont think anything on that pile was safe. I have seen fill nipples break on filling, i have seen the quick disconnect come appart (as in tiny ball bearings flying threw the air) , i have had my un-hydroed tank filled many times, i have seen tired players fill a 3000 tank to 4500 at those help your self fill lines.... how safe do you really think 4500psi air is? Eventually people are gonna die, and its not gonna be some walk ons mom, maybe it will take a member of RL gettin killed before we crack down on bombs.

manike
03-26-2005, 12:55 PM
So you think the cylinders we use arent safe.

I didn't say that. Read what I said please, and take it as that, no more, no less.

Alot less safe........What do you mean? Whats unsafe about the co2 or HPA cylinders we use?
Could it be the uninformed uneducated user?

Yes it could be, but we need to find solutions for that also.

The cylinders we use are EXTREMELY safe.

There have, however been a few accidents over the years caused by the use of compresses gases that wouldn't have happened with these guns. I and NPS are always working on ways to make paintball safer.

Even though the number of accidents in this sport are extremely low, the significant ones have happened during the filling of tanks or due to the use of tanks. These accidents are statistically insignificant, BUT for me that isn't enough, and if we can reduce them to never happening again, that is better!

We have a new Co2 (and HPA) valve design that will prevent the incidents of flying co2 tanks.

We also have a new barrel plug coming that actually works and conforms to the ASTM standards (most/many barrel plugs do not). These barrel plugs work better in the majority of circumstances and have advantages over the barrel condoms.

Safety IS a priority for us in this industry.

Beemer
03-26-2005, 02:34 PM
beemer i honestly wounder how long you have been playing with that comment.

I have played tournys at about every level and have seen some VERY scary stuff. Macro and micro line blow outs are common (one knocked my inner ear around pretty good), filling to 2500 on a WWII vintage air compressor used origionally to fill flame thorwers (local feild that thankfully went under), i dont think anything on that pile was safe. I have seen fill nipples break on filling, i have seen the quick disconnect come appart (as in tiny ball bearings flying threw the air) , i have had my un-hydroed tank filled many times, i have seen tired players fill a 3000 tank to 4500 at those help your self fill lines.... how safe do you really think 4500psi air is? Eventually people are gonna die, and its not gonna be some walk ons mom, maybe it will take a member of RL gettin killed before we crack down on bombs.

Been playing since 85. Did the tourny thing for 10yrs. Thought I saw it all in that time but every time I go out I see more.[unsafe crap] You should get your tank tested. Why do people use macro or micro if it is prone to blow outs. You forgot Flash fills. According to Manike its EXTREMELY safe.

We also have a new barrel plug coming that actually works and conforms to the ASTM standards (most/many barrel plugs do not). These barrel plugs work better in the majority of circumstances and have advantages over the barrel condoms.

Safety IS a priority for us in this industry.

I know what you said I read it.
Hey dont get me wrong. I like the gun for the simple fact that it eliminates half of the dangerous variables for the entry level player.

Good job on the BBD to. But when did conforming to ASTM standards mean anything.
Like the Dye add I saw that said our gogs are tested to twice the current ASTM impact standards. But wait their guns dont meet any standards. Thats great. How many guns does NPS and everybody else sell that dont meet ASTM standards? Ask JJ he should know that one.

Kallahan
03-26-2005, 03:00 PM
I kinda doubt battery life will get much better, what may get better is the utilization of that battery. Batteries have historically been behind, when it comes to electronic devices.

Az

Actually, there has been some recent stuff going on with Lithium Ion and Lithium Sulfide batteries that is pretty interesting. But you right, the rate at which battery tech is evolving is incredibly slow.

oldsoldier
03-26-2005, 03:09 PM
Simon, you've piqued my interest in this software. Also, being a mini compressor (for lack of a better description), is it user-serviceable? I can definitely see this being used for field rentals (hopefully, they would survive), and for people just starting into the sport. And, I want to reiterate that, I think the onboard compressor thing may take off someday within the tourney community, provided it provides shots comparable to a tank, is reliable, and probably user serviceable. Way to think outside the box. :)

manike
03-26-2005, 03:23 PM
Oldsoldier, for people that have no basic technical capabilities I think we would prefer them to stay out of the mechanism. :) But if you have basic understanding then yes I think it is user serviceable.

ASTM standards are voluntary.

Pr0d1gy
03-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Dude what is up with all the negativity? Manike, that marker is a tremendous idea. Not too long ago there wasn't a pro shop in easy driving distance where I live & it was one of the, if not the, fastest growing city in the US for 5+ years running at that time. This gun would have been exactly what my firends & I could have sued back then. Kudos to you & the rest of the guys involved in this & I hope it makes you all alot of money.

I have to say that while you guys are all talking about air being safe & what not, that is the most common source of injury in paintball. You get these stupid kids screwing with their tanks & trying to mod them & ****, then the next thing you know it blows off it's reg & smacks some kid in the face. The kid has to have reconstructive surgery, the other kid probbaly gets sued as does the mfg. & field owner (even if they are pirating some local woods).

You can throw your **** on Manike all you want, but I can tell he is sitting back laughing at your pathetic attempts to bring him down to your level. All I can say is you're about to get everything you deserve Man, it's a terrific idea & wonderful implementation & execution of said idea.

Oh BTW, I love the fact you made it look like a Steyr AUG. :hail: :hail: :hail:

p8ntball365
03-26-2005, 08:19 PM
post was in poor taste, ill swallow my pride.

Can you describe how the bolt functions? does it use a bolt. Pics of internals?

warbeak2099
03-26-2005, 09:08 PM
As long as it isn't too expensive, it's the perfect backyard gun. I've played a few backyard games, and I never went through more than 500 shots. You also don't exactly need to shoot lanes in a backwods game lol. 5-6bps is fine. If they can get it up to 10bps then it'll be a bit better though. Maybe come out with a select fire model.

ApexAZ
03-26-2005, 11:35 PM
That's pretty cool.

I like how it's modelled after the AUG also.

I think this is a great idea as long as it's improved upon which it probably will in time.

Another thing came to mind... Would it be possible to simply replace tanks with this technology? i.e. you would still have something similar to your tank now except it would be a 'mini compressor' coupled with a battery in the same pill shape.

I assume you wouldn't be able to just pop it onto any marker though...yet.

vf-xx
03-29-2005, 09:29 PM
We have several different feed concepts in development/consideration. ;)

Manike you're such a tease. ;)

JoshK
03-29-2005, 10:17 PM
I have to say that while you guys are all talking about air being safe & what not, that is the most common source of injury in paintball. You get these stupid kids screwing with their tanks & trying to mod them & ****, then the next thing you know it blows off it's reg & smacks some kid in the face. The kid has to have reconstructive surgery, the other kid probbaly gets sued as does the mfg. & field owner (even if they are pirating some local woods).

I don't have pure facts to back me up...but besides those few deaths from the cylinders coming off the regs, how often do you hear about injury due to the tanks? Now what our main safety concern is unimformed kids buying guns at their local walmart, and not wearing their masks. Or people not having barrel plugs/bags on in a no mask zone.