PDA

View Full Version : ule body stripped??? help plz...

jenarelJAM
03-25-2005, 06:53 PM
ok, i bought a brand new emag off airgun.com in january. i hadn't gotten the air tank until a couple weeks ago, then had problems with it
see here: http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=170970
anyways, i aired up the marker a couple days ago and dry fired it (testing the tank) and once the pressure was too low to shoot, i let the rest bleed out. last night, i was going to put a shim in the trigger to reduce sideplay, and as i was using a centerpunch to knock out the bolt that holds the trigger, i noticed that the bolt right in front of the trigger was loose. i checked it and the bolt was fine, but when i took the rest of the gun apart, i noticed that the first two threads of the ULE body were stripped off. the bolt hadn't been able to screw in far enough to grip more than the first two threads because it wasnt long enough. there is still room in the ULE body for a longer screw, plenty more threads, but im going to have to go to a screw shop or something to find a custom screw that will fit. this seems like alot of hassle for a gun that i bought to be reliable forever. i've never shot a paintball through it and only dry fired less than 2000 shots through it in its lifetime (closer to 1200, but lets say 2000 to be safe). anyone know what could have cuased it or what i can do now?
im going to call AGD now to see what they say, thanks

wanna-b-ballin'
03-25-2005, 07:52 PM
well the body is made of aluminum, and its a soft metal. the screw is made of stronger metal.
so the screw only was holding onto two threads, and you used a punch to knock out a trigger pin. sounds like it had too much stress on it that it wouldn't normally have.

on a recent post i read about some nylon screws that are softer than aluminum, so the 40 cent screw would strip instead of the body in cases like this. you should be able to pick them up at most hardware stores

you could go to any hardware store and get another screw thats longer. if its too long u can cut it down to size and file it.

there is another thing you could do that is trickey, and could be costly if you mess up.
its a little spring like thing that the threads on a screw grab onto. you have to drill out the threads, insert the spring thing (i forget how it stays in) and then put the screw into it.

i'd reccomend just getting a longer screw, or a nylon one

TMAXXKING1
03-26-2005, 01:55 AM
seems like maybe an am/mm frame screw was put in the emag frame
the front screw for an rt or emag frame is longer ...

you will just need a longer screw for it ...

hopefully the threads are not hammerd up to bad

take the ule body off the rail and use that short screw to tap the threads take your time doing it dont just jam it in there ..

any pro shop should have the screw instock you need ...

good luck

TMAXXKING1
03-26-2005, 01:58 AM
also skip the nylon screw there is a chance the body will come loose while in use ..

i myself would rather know the screw is the right one ....
and no chance of the body comeing off ..

i think that nylon screw could be a safety issue to you and others on the feild...

jenarelJAM
03-26-2005, 04:59 PM
yeah, im just going to get a longer screw, but what really bothers me is that its brand new, and i didnt do anything that other people havent done, and the darn thing broke on me. i havent even used it yet.

alooney11
03-26-2005, 09:07 PM
You put too much pressure on a small amount of threads but that hole is pretty deep you will be fine, i did the same thing when i tried to use a smaller screw.

VFX_Fenix
03-27-2005, 12:03 AM
If the body is completely stripped out you can always drill out the hole and slip a 10-32 Helicoil into the hole to rethread the body. Last resort sort of option, but you aren't completely SOL if you end up stripping out the rest of the threads.

jenarelJAM
03-27-2005, 08:03 PM
yeah, well i only stripped about 2 threads out, theres like 10 more in there. thanks for all the help guys. the night that happened to me, i had just filled my air tank and found it wasnt working for the second time and was having doubts about pbing, so im feeling better now about it. im glad to know i always have a last resort w/ the drilling it out and rethreading it too, thanks. i can do stuff like that because my dads in construction and has more tools than the company he works for.

wanna-b-ballin'
03-27-2005, 10:59 PM
If the body is completely stripped out you can always drill out the hole and slip a 10-32 Helicoil into the hole to rethread the body. Last resort sort of option, but you aren't completely SOL if you end up stripping out the rest of the threads.

helicoil is the springy thing i was trying to think of. thanks for reminding me what its called.