PDA

View Full Version : milling a rail. need help.

wanna-b-ballin'
03-25-2005, 08:02 PM
hey, i'm a noob when it comes to milling, and i need something to do in metal shop at school.
so i have decided to do some simple milling to my rail. i'm not sure where to mill on the inside to make it a little bit lighter, but still retain its strength.
should i also just do a line like thing on the sides?

i dont think any of the mill bits at school are rounded, so all milled spots would have 90* edges. i'm not sure how it would turn out on the outside part of the rail.

would the exposed, unanodized alluminum turn a frosty whiteish tarnish kinda? i wont do it if i have to polish it or anything.

if milling the outside with the 90* edges would look bad, then i would just do some internal milling.
do i have to worry about the heat created? instead of useing oil or whatever in the mister, its windsheild washer fluid. the teacher claims it works just as good. maybe thats just for steel and iron?

so, any recomendations or good pictures of what i could do?

wanna-b-ballin'
03-26-2005, 02:04 AM
anybody?

jenarelJAM
03-28-2005, 03:50 AM
sry, id like to help, but you're way over my head. ive only got 8th grade industrial tech under my belt, and milling was a few steps too high for us lol

gothsqwd
03-28-2005, 09:43 AM
You would definitely have to polish the aluminum occasionally. One big problem you have to worry about when milling aluminum is the dust. Unlike steel, aluminum powder is very flammable. you have to be very careful and clean up regularly and carefully.

wanna-b-ballin'
03-28-2005, 11:11 PM
i searched through 6 pages of the workshop, and found Luke. saw pictures, he did a good job. i Pm'd him and he said 25 bux for internal milling. 10 for external if i remember right, and 10 to get it powdercoated black.
i might just send it to him in the near future. not sure when yet because of the norcal vs. socal.