PDA

View Full Version : In game BPS higher than chrono? Or "But I shoot an extra 99BPS in game"

Lohman446
03-30-2005, 08:32 AM
This is not meant to get into a discussion of why BPS is important or not important, this is meant to address what I feel is a myth that paitnball players throw around to make themselves feel better and show the difference between there "claimed" BPS and there proven BPS. I'm sure there are exceptions (I have seen them) but very very few people I feel can shoot over 15BPS and maintain that speed for more than 5 seconds.

Ok, I constantly hear people tell each other that BPS in game situations goes up due to the "excitement" of the game. Somehow they mythically gain +5 BPS for in game situations, so an average shooter over the chrono must be majestic on the field

Now I am no medical expert, but I think its time to call shenanigans on this claim. Doesn't the excitement of in game situations that people talk about sound like an adrenaline rush to you? Doesn't adreneline decrease fine motor skills?

The Effects of the Adrenal Response in Combat

(1) Loss of fine Motor control : When adrenaline is flushed into the bloodstream during a "fight or flight" episode, the individual often loses a good deal of their ability to control their limbs. This is especially true of "fine motor" skills such as many martial arts techniques demand. On the other hand, gross motor skills are much better retained under adrenal stress. This is one reason why we concentrate on programming gross motor skills into the student's body at RMCAT.

I call shenanigans on this mythical increase of BPS during a game situation and would like to assert that your BPS at the chrono is as high as you are going to get it, relaxed and concentrating only on the chrono. I will leave myself wiggle room and say this is likely true for about 99% of the people out there.

Discussion?

felony
03-30-2005, 09:36 AM
i think adrenaline plays a role.

i never heard of any of the junk when i thought i was shooting faster on the field.

maybe you feel like you are shooting faster, but arent.. its one or the other.

behemoth
03-30-2005, 09:38 AM
i think adrenaline plays a role.

i never heard of any of the junk when i thought i was shooting faster on the field.

maybe you feel like you are shooting faster, but arent.. its one or the other.

Adrenaline.

felony
03-30-2005, 09:44 AM
mmmmkay

high five

TheTramp
03-30-2005, 10:13 AM
I agree completely (with the first post not the petty spelling crap) I don't think there's any chance you are shooting faster in a do or "die" situation on the field than at the crono.

At the crono you have a chance to really concentrate on getting your fingers moving properly and correcting for any mistakes as well as hold the marker exactly as you need to for best speed. On the field you tend to flail away as fast as you can giving the strange position you tend to be in etc.

misenhei
03-30-2005, 11:14 AM
I think there is somehting to be said for higher ROF in-game. Agreed, it's not caused by adrenaline, I think it's distraction. As mentioned in the previous post, when at the chrono (or trying to impress your friends in your living room), you have all the time to focus on what your fingers are doing....maybe overthinking it. On the field, you're not getting in your fingers' way - you've got too many other things to worry about - so it falls back to muscle memory.

How many times when you're trying to beat that mini-boss, land that ollie, huck that curb, sink that putt, or close that bullseye......you have to walk away and relax for a second because you're trying too hard?

On the flip-side, if you haven't trained yourself, you don't have that muscle memory - then it's just a bunch of flailing (which is why I'm lousy at shooting cockers;) )

BobDoleIsMyHero
03-30-2005, 11:19 AM
sure you fire faster on the field than at the chrono... you don't turn on your ramping modes untill you are on the field and away from refs. ;)

Lohman446
03-30-2005, 11:20 AM
sure you fire faster on the field than at the chrono... you don't turn on your ramping modes untill you are on the field and away from refs. ;)

:D Ahh there is an explanation. But seriously, I knew that. Its three short trigger pulls followed by three long pulls, holding the switch on for three seconds, until the light blinks red then green then red - then three more shorts and as long as you keep the BPS up your good to go :)

BobDoleIsMyHero
03-30-2005, 11:38 AM
to be a bit more serious, most people way over estimate their rof. i will agree that you most likely fire faster when you arn't in a furious fire fight or trying to show off. being relaxed and not concentrating to hard on what you are doing is best for rof imo. but honestly in most situations the +/- 2-3bps in rof won't be enough to make a meaningful difference on the field. i might be wrong but this is what i think. :cheers:

misenhei
03-30-2005, 11:55 AM

That one made me laugh out loud (hope the boss didn't hear!)

Maggot6
03-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Well, my "circulation" is really bad. So if I am not doing anything like running, my hands and feet are freezing, and try walking your trigger after you come out from falling in the snow.. So, when I paintball it seems I get faster.

White_Noise
03-30-2005, 12:05 PM
according to the big red chronos, i can get 14bps fairly consistantly with my sfl, and about 12 with my rt. however, i do know for a fact that adrenaline has a major affect on me personally. during games i do loose a bit of motor skills(due to the fact that my adrenaline rushes are so bad that i shake), but this actually helps me shoot a bit faster because i dont actually walk the trigger, but use a twitch of the wrist instead. is the amount that i increase my rof really significant? not really, the 1-2 bps isnt really that important, but it is noticable. now in saying this, im not just saying this because thats my perception that i shoot faster on the field than in the chrono, but it is from people who watched me shoot in both situations who werent playing and could confirm that i was shooting slightly faster.

Z-man
03-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Very neat thread. I too would have said that the adrenaline would explain the "percived bps" I gain in a game. I wonder however, if the walking of the trigger is simple enough that those of us who have it down really good can benefit from this? This is pure conjecture on my part (I will ask a doctor friend of mine his thoughts) but perhpas for actions that your body is very familiar with and are second hand nature to us, we can preform at a faster rate with a little shot of adren?

I have videos not only of myself, but Steelrat on the forums here shooting for the camera and also on the field. In most cases the faster shooting is on the field...

Good thinking thread.

RRfireblade
03-30-2005, 10:36 PM
Personally I think the Myth is true and it has nothing to with Drenny.

IMO, when your minds on other things (the game) your fingers and related parts are relaxed and free to work smoothly.

When you 'Try' to shoot fast, most people tense up and flex, 'trying' hard to go fast and that tension actually slows you down. That is true in MANY other applications.

It's definately true for me.If the cameras on me or I'm 'trying' over the Chrono I'm pitifull but when I walk off the feild, and I have no idea how fast I shoot while playing, I never even think about it in the slightest but I'm almost always questioned if my gun is bouncing or on "ramp".Even handing over my gun doen't clear it up, it sometimes ends up in a " I must be doing something on the field" kinda thing even tho I'm just as often checked on the field while the gun is still hot.

Anyway....

Just my opinion.

phantomhitman
03-30-2005, 11:04 PM
i have to say, and honestly believe, i shoot much fater on the field than at the chrono. i know for a fact i shoot fast when its only me vs 3-4 others because of the OH CRAP IM SCREWED GOTTA SHOOTA LOTTA PAINT EVERYWHERE factor.
at the chrono i get "stage frieght" i guess. i cannot get over 12 bps on a good day, but on the field i am actually more relaxed and shoot way more consistently. dont know exact numbers because no one is counting while im playing.
cute ramping/cheater jokes also :cool:

Evil Bob
03-31-2005, 07:12 AM
The gig on adrenaline that RMCAT is discussing here is about situations involving brand new students and not seasoned vets. RMCAT focuses on instilling confidence that people can fight their way out of a situation should the need arise. The title on their book states their entire focus... "REAL FIGHTING: Adrenal Stress Conditioning Through Scenario Based Training".... teaching n00bs to deal with stress and fight for their lives.

The "fight or flight" situation only comes into context in paintball when you're a total n00b and you panic. Just like new students to RMCAT, there comes a point in which confidence and experience easily prevents the "fight or flight" indecision situation. A seasoned pb'er will face anyone down on the paintball field regardless of who they are, there is no "flight"/flee for your life option simply from the fact that they know what to expect. This is precisely what RMCAT's training teaches people, what to expect to happen in any given combat scenario.

There is also alot to be said for muscle memory and repetition/practice, and that is one point of focus that RMCAT works on relentlessly, the more "ingrained" the defensive training, the easier it is to perform it under stress. The more the person practices and is exposed to hostile situations (the combat with the big nerf pads on the head), the more confident the person becomes in fighting. Same thing happens on the paintball field, the more the player is exposed to the game, the easier it is for them to play it. The more they practice walking the trigger, the easier it is to do it in game under pressure, and yes, adrenaline will help amplify "ingrained" motor skills. "Ingrained" meaning something that has been worked on for a long time, not just a couple hours in one weekend, skills of that nature take years to develope.

-Evil Bob